Update 6 and Windows 11

John Heaton

Most will know that the latest "Mandatory" update is available by the normal means and is around 5GB

However !! - I quickly moved to profile after the update finished and was surprised to see Windows 11

"downloading" - but it was but a small download of 500+MBs. - and it sits in the download section of profile

I wonder why MS did this - maybe something for the future - or in my case - it stopped when it realised 

that my PC will not upgrade to W11

In W10 - there is in "Updates" in settings - an Update available - 21H1 - which turns out to be W11

I did a shut down and restart - but everything was as is in my W 10

Curioser and curioser !!

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

According to the release notes, they included some Windows 11 promo content:

To celebrate the launch of Windows 11, Microsoft Flight Simulator is lighting up some of the world’s most famous points of interest in Windows 11 colors! There is also a free livery for the EXTRA 330LT. 

Apparently, naming that component of the update "Windows 11" has caused a lot of confusion in the forums... ;)

Edited by TymK
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John Heaton said:

In W10 - there is in "Updates" in settings - an Update available - 21H1 - which turns out to be W11

I did a shut down and restart - but everything was as is in my W 10

Curioser and curioser !!

Hello,

21H1 is still Windows 10, Windows 11 is 21H2.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

21H1 is still Windows 10, Windows 11 is 21H2.

My PC told me it's not capable of installing 11 so I'm finished with it.  I ain't about to buy another PC just to run Windows 11 and if I can't run MSFS when I ever buy it because of not having 11 then I don't buy MSFS.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

My PC told me it's not capable of installing 11 so I'm finished with it.  I ain't about to buy another PC just to run Windows 11 and if I can't run MSFS when I ever buy it because of not having 11 then I don't buy MSFS.  

There's no point in being an early adopter with Win 11, I tried on my secondary PC (laptop) and encountered a show-stopping issue straight away: someone in their infinite wisdom took away the ability to move the taskbar... excellent design decision... :rolleyes:

At any rate, MSFS runs great on Windows 10, and the OS itself is alive and kicking and will be supported until at least 2025. So, I'd say enjoy the new sim on Win 10.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

My PC told me it's not capable of installing 11 so I'm finished with it. 

Hello Jack,

if it has an Intel processor that is 8 series or newer and I suspect that it will have, then it will run Windows 11.

There is one small setting in the bios that must be activated, that's all.

Whether there is any advantage at this stage is a matter of personal preference but from my own experience,

Windows 11 is "good to go".

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TymK said:

There's no point in being an early adopter with Win 11, I tried on my secondary PC (laptop) and encountered a show-stopping issue straight away: someone in their infinite wisdom took away the ability to move the taskbar... excellent design decision... :rolleyes:

At any rate, MSFS runs great on Windows 10, and the OS itself is alive and kicking and will be supported until at least 2025. So, I'd say enjoy the new sim on Win 10.

Hi Tym and thanks!  Good advice, yes sir, I don’t like being an early adopter.  Can’t move the taskbar?  Why fix something if it ain’t broke?  I’ll never understand these people.  I’d love to buy MSFS and the Orbx stuff for it but I can’t deal with the default or other planes in it.  Like I said, I’m in it for the planes so when PMDG and A2A get their planes in I’m all in, but I have very serious doubts either will be able to do it because it seems MS’s software is changing so fast.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack,

if it has an Intel processor that is 8 series or newer and I suspect that it will have, then it will run Windows 11.

Whether there is any advantage at this stage is a matter of personal preference but from my own experience,

Hi Nick and thanks.  I’m not a BIOS settings kind of guy, it puts the fear of G*d in me :(.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Nick and thanks.  I’m not a BIOS settings kind of guy, it puts the fear of G*d in me :(.  

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz , this is my rig ..........No WIN 11 Update for you BradB . :blink::angry::(

• Confused 1

Even if one doesn't upgrade to W11, Win10 will be supported until Oct 14, 2025, and possibly longer.

Logic is I suspect that if your machine doesn't easily upgrade to Win11,  in another 4 yrs you may be looking

at a replacement computer  as it could be a bit long in the tooth at that time.

So not a lot to be concerned with, if you desire to stick with Win10 for the next few years.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack,

Just to add to what Nick has said

Not that I have any intentions of updating to W11 - but I did check to see why my mid range PC - won't upgrade?

I used the MS software to do a health check and this is what I got as to the reasons why I cant upgrade

It seems that W11 has increased security and needs 2 slight alterations - which MS will do via the settings pages

for you if you follow their paths in settings /security

My PC health.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Just to add to what Nick has said

Not that I have any intentions of updating to W11 - but I did check to see why my mid range PC - won't upgrade?

I used the MS software to do a health check and this is what I got as to the reasons why I cant upgrade

It seems that W11 has increased security and needs 2 slight alterations - which MS will do via the settings pages

for you if you follow their paths in settings /security

My PC health.jpg

The first two items are fixable , but I have heard mixed results on WIN 11 . My issue is my older processor . 

Taskbar is movable it’s just option for that is quite burried in somewhere. To be able to install Win11 You have to have Z390 or newer platform, TPM module installed or enabled in BIOS, same goes for Secure Boot just enable it in BIOS.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 2:04 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Can’t move the taskbar?  Why fix something if it ain’t broke?  I’ll never understand these people.

I think the idea is to make it seem as much like a mac as possible.  I don't really like it, if its too much like apple then its not windows.

But I guess they don't care about us people who actually like functionality, they're too focused on the majority of people who want it to look pretty.

• Like 2