Avalon, Catalina Island in Real Time

renault

@Ken Hall @Tim Harris

I've wondered about how accurate the live weather is in MS2020 as I have only recently started to use it.

The following screenshot comparison I found quite interesting.  The first screenshot is from a real time Web Camera overlooking the harbour

at Avalon, Catalina Island.  The screen capture was taken at 10:04 am local time 2021/10/18.

The second screenshot is  from my Orbx KAVX in MS2020 (just hitting the ole "V" key) with both real time and live weather turned on. Not identical of course, but also

fairly reasonable I think.  Of course you can be the judge.

It also shows the excellent job that our two developer friends Ken Hall and Time Harris have done in giving us this scenery creation.

I hope that you enjoy the comparison and find it interesting.

Cheers

Pete

Live Web Cam view at Avalon Harbour, Catalina Island, California 10:04 am, 2021/10/18

Screenshot-374.jpg

Orbx KAVX with MS2020 with real time and Live Weather 

Flight-Simulator-2021-10-18-11-07-44-202

Edited by renault
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, adambar said:

I can live with that, looks pretty darn close Pete. :)

Thanks Adam.  Me too :)

Cheers

Pete

6 hours ago, ikbenik said:

The Sim-look is very near to the reality, proven hereby via this comparaison view on Avalon Harbour. Shot taken at exact same time and weather condition, so fine :)

Thank you.

Asobo has been working on their weather engine with each update , with more substantial improvements to come later this year.   It seems to be doing a good job now.

Cheers

Pete

6 hours ago, Bullfox said:

The main difference is in the wave action and in the lighting which in the camera image is more towards the yellow hue and less saturated.  Nice comparison.

Thank you.  Yes I agree

Appreciate the comment and the insight :)

Cheers

Pete

6 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Nice comparison.

You are using MSFS Live Weather, no add ons like Rex Sky Force??

TTM

Thanks TTM

Yes this is just MSFS Live Weather.  I have been following the improvements that Asobo has been making  (and more to come by year end) with 

interest.

I do have REX Weather force , but I've found that it's real time prediction doesn't ever seem to be that accurate.  To be fair to the REX folks, they have done a remarkable

job of "reverse engineering" what MS2020 was doing as the SDK is mum on the subject of how the weather engine works. But for me it seems to have some accuracy issues , so I have not used it in that mode.

As a result I never used real weather and only in the last week or so have been trying live weather in MS2020. What I do like about REX though is that the dynamic weather presets work very well and I like them a lot.  So in that respect it was money well spent, just the live weather feature doesn't do it for me.

But I am quite pleasantly surprised how much I like the MS2020 system now. And its easy to use just a single click  to turn it on. :)

Cheers

Pete

6 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Pete, very good comparison and like others have said, pretty darn close to each other. 

Landon

Thanks Landon

It seems that they have improved it quite a bit.

Cheers

Pete

5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

I think the Orbx scenery looks better than the real thing.

Interesting John. :)

I would agree with you. Ken and Tim have done a remarkable job.

But remember the live "web cam" is probably sitting on top of a pole some where that is a favorite haunt for the local seagull population.

So its probably a minor miracle that we get any images at all from it. ha, ha :lol:

Cheers

Pete

5 hours ago, BradB said:

Works for me (Live WX) , but I also use REX . 

Thanks John

Please see my comment above to TTM

Works for me too and I also use REX. Each has its strong points and together I feel I

get the best of both worlds :)

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Great work Pete, Ive found that the MSFS realtime weather is improving all the time and the transitions from one area to another are seamless and very realistic, I've been doing many online flights with the guys and it's amazing how it changes from one area to the next, gives a real feel of travelling to a different location. The next update promises to take it up another notch again.

thanks for the amazing comparison shot it makes the effort all worth while to think that you guys have got a real feeling of what the place is like.

cheers

Ken

11 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Wow it is indeed amazing the almot real thing matching Pete

Hi Carlos

Thank you.  It seems to do quite a good job. :)

Cheers

Pete

11 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Great work Pete, Ive found that the MSFS realtime weather is improving all the time and the transitions from one area to another are seamless and very realistic, I've been doing many online flights with the guys and it's amazing how it changes from one area to the next, gives a real feel of travelling to a different location. The next update promises to take it up another notch again.

thanks for the amazing comparison shot it makes the effort all worth while to think that you guys have got a real feeling of what the place is like.

cheers

Ken

Thanks Ken

It is a very amazing creation that you and Tim have put together for us. :)

The WE so far for me is working  well and as you say is very realistic.  I'm looking forward to future updates.

Its one of the first times I have found a web cam that was working well.  It used to be a "thing" years ago in the early days of the internet

but it was on a whim that I decided to check.  I was really surprised how well the two matched up.

Cheers!

All the best

Pete 

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Well done Pete, Looks great.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain:)

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1