GPU- update or not.....

wain71

I have an oldish 1070 @ 8gig. Lots of 3070 8gig cards about, also 3060ti but not sure if that's worth the bother, I can get a 3080 here in the UK but really not keen on spending £1300 on it...it would be paired with the rest of the items at the bottom of my post, might be best to wait for prices to drop and then maybe get whole new PC.....any suggestions?....I think I am probably on the limit now in XP & MSFS with current card, performance in all 3 sims is mostly 30+fps but more importantly very smooth.....looked on Benchmark and it's all just numbers, biggest worry would be getting newer card and going backwards...

Hi Wain, I have a couple differing thoughts on this:

1) Agree with you that the 3060Ti is probably not the best answer for you, BUT a 3070 could be....my only hesitation is the 8 gb of vram. Still, it's not a show stopper.

2) I don't think your current system will benefit much from a 3080, especially at that price, but you could get the 3080 anyway with the thought of when you upgrade the rest of your PC components months (or a year) down the road, you have already gotten the expensive GPU purchase out of the way. 

3) The way hardware trends are right now and all the resource shortages, I don't know how much prices will really be going down in the near future, especially with the Holiday season right around the corner, where demand gets higher.

4) You could just leave your system the way it is right now if it's running that well, but I DO think a 3070 might be the best option for you given price, availability etc.

Of course, my opinion only. 

Cheers!

Landon

• Thanks 1

@Sniper31   @Nick Cooper thanks both for replying, I have had a little more time now to look around at things and I now think waiting is probably the best option, a new GPU would probably mean a new CPU which are now different socket types, that means a new Motherboard. All sims are running fine and any other stuff that I use runs extremely well so sit tight is the answer, but I do appreciate your input.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wain71 said:

@Sniper31   @Nick Cooper thanks both for replying, I have had a little more time now to look around at things and I now think waiting is probably the best option, a new GPU would probably mean a new CPU which are now different socket types, that means a new Motherboard. All sims are running fine and any other stuff that I use runs extremely well so sit tight is the answer, but I do appreciate your input.....

No worries @wain71, at this point in time I don't feel like there is a wrong decision that you can make with this. It's your decision and having input and information can help with that which I hope that Nick and my input maybe helped you with that. But, at the end of the day, the way supply and demand is, resources and etc right now, there is just no way to know for sure which way is best. So, like I say, I don't think there is a wrong decision here. :) 

Cheers!

Landon

• Thanks 1

Hi Wayne

I agree with everyone's input.  The one thing that you haven't mentioned is what resolution you are using.

Real quick - 4K is a quite heavy load on the system if you are doing that.  However, you can set render scaling within MS2020 to 70% (which is basically

rendering the base image at 1080p) and MS2020 will then upscale to 4K.  Members like FILOU @FILOU I believe use a setting 

very similar to  this and get very good visuals and performance, although I think he has the next size up (1080ti) from yours

The other thing of course is if you set your fps to 30 fps (I just do it in the NVCP) , MS2020 will behave very nicely.  

So in terms of basic settings, you would then adjust all the rendering settings to get a overall balanced system, which is not difficult to do as there

are included presets which are good starting points

I use 2560x1440p and with a RTX2060super (8GB) and locked at 30 fps, I basically have everything set on Ultra settings .  Even with Bristol International 

from Pilot Plus which is a very high resolution scenery,  I am only using about 4 GB Vram.  It is very smooth.

Of course if you monitor is 1080p then you will have additional options to increase visual fidelity and still get a very good performance.

As Landon and Nick have both said,  GPU's are still very expensive right now.  As Landon said there is no right or wrong decision on this, but I think 

with some system balancing you will be quite pleased how MS2020 will work with what you currently have

Hope this is of help in your decision

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, renault said:

Hi Wayne

I agree with everyone's input.  The one thing that you haven't mentioned is what resolution you are using.

Real quick - 4K is a quite heavy load on the system if you are doing that.  However, you can set render scaling within MS2020 to 70% (which is basically

rendering the base image at 1080p) and MS2020 will then upscale to 4K.  Members like FILOU @FILOU I believe use a setting 

very similar to  this and get very good visuals and performance, although I think he has the next size up (1080ti) from yours

The other thing of course is if you set your fps to 30 fps (I just do it in the NVCP) , MS2020 will behave very nicely.  

So in terms of basic settings, you would then adjust all the rendering settings to get a overall balanced system, which is not difficult to do as there

I use 2560x1440p and with a RTX2060super (8GB) and locked at 30 fps, I basically have everything set on Ultra settings .  Even with Bristol International 

from Pilot Plus which is a very high resolution scenery,  I am only using about 4 GB Vram.  It is very smooth.

Of course if you monitor is 1080p then you will have additional options to increase visual fidelity and still get a very good performance.

As Landon and Nick have both said,  GPU's are still very expensive right now.  As Landon said there is no right or wrong decision on this, but I think 

with some system balancing you will be quite pleased how MS2020 will work with what you currently have

Cheers

Pete

@renault thanks for the input Pete, I run at 1440 at use the preset 'Highend', I do have fps set to 30 and honestly I am happy with what I am seeing, maybe as more complex things come along that may have to change. I have actually been very surprised at how well my 1070 does seem to cope with most stuff, I get what I think are good visuals in all 3 of my sims. As for the future and how much things will cost I guess no one knows but let's hope at some point we do get back to a more realistic price point for our hardware purchases.

Wayne

On 9/1/2021 at 8:27 PM, renault said:

Hi Wayne

Cheers

Pete

Sorry to be a little late in the conversation.

This is exactly what I use with a 4k resolution.

-V-sync ON with Frame Rate Limit 30 fps

-Render scaling 70%

-Terrain of Level of Detail 150

-Terrain Vector Data ULTRA

-Building ULTRA

-Trees ULTRA

-Grass and Bushes ULTRA

-Offscreen Terrain Caching ( New Update ) on ULTRA.No more popping!

-Objects Level Of Detail 150

-Cloud HIGHT (To be comfortable in any scenario) you can quickly lose 10 fps in Ultra.

Everything else is high setting by default apart Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate on LOW.

Smooth as silk regardless of the context with my old I7 4790K + GTX 1080 +24 MEMORY DDR3+SSD

The optimization that ASOBO has done is beyond my imagination!

• Thanks 2