Resolution from far

Beiram

Giday,

Usually scenery display will depend on computer power vs. fps desired.

What's your hardware specs and what sort of fps are you getting ?

I limit mine via a 30Hz vsync which gives a smooth 30 fps while leaving CPU and GPU reserve power for ramping up the settings for scenery and whatnot.

Since the CPU and GPU are not trying to operate at maximum fps there is reserve power to maintain a stable 30 fps and increase the gfx settings and radius etc.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Edited by Quantum Amiga

11 hours ago, Beiram said:

I run on a i9-11900k with an rtx 2080 super. both are overclocked

Certainly adequate hardware, mine's a Ryzen 3800X and a 1070ti, and yes both are overclocked too. 4.5 Ghz base for the CPU and 2 Ghz for the GPU.

What are your's clocked at ?

i limit my fps to 30 via nvidia as well

30 fps shoud leave lots of headroom for GFX slider ramp ups.

What's the screen resolution ?

I have 1080 x 1920 and use DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) to fly at one step down from 4k, cannot go any higher in general use as it overloads the GPU (need a 3080ti - if only they were not so expensive...)

Trialled disabling HT ? I have SMT disabled on my CPU (AMD's version of HT) as I found P3D performed much better, and my CPU ran a lot cooler, or you could trial using an Affinity Mask to place P3D on cores only, I did trial that too but found SMT off was the better performer.

There's a thread on AVSIM - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/606021-affinity-mask-word-not-alloweds-guide/

I do use FFTF Dynamic to manage the scenery loading when the frame rate in sim is set to unlimited. FFTF Dynamic basicaly controls the P3D FFTF value in a dynamic way, either by height range or FPS range. It sounded like snake oil when I first came across it, however I had a saved scenario where the scenery was always blurry at a particular point and FFTF Dynamic prevented the scenery becoming blurry, so yeah it works for myself.

I also have a number of prepar3d.cfg options applied to tune the configuration to my usage.

You know, stop building textures unloading and loading, an affinity mask, smoother cockpit shadows, higher lods for vegetation, and maxing out the autogen.

All  are settings outside of the UI options.

I'd be interested to hear how you go with some trials.

your sim here looks incredible

Well thanks, more pics at Screenshots and Prepar3D, and some vids Oz Sim Pilot.

Cheers

Edited by Quantum Amiga
additional question

Giday,

You're not flying too fast for the scenery to keep up perhaps?

If the sim is paused does the scenery catch up eventually ?

2560x1440 is what I use for a DSR screen mode and my 1070ti manages the resolution Ok, provided I don't exceed a GPU load of about 97%

A FFTF value only functions when the sim internal limiter is not set to "Unlimited" (I always run Unlimited and use FFTF Dynamic).

You could try an affinity mask to set P3D running on the cores only of the first... say 4 processing cores (and running on both the cores and threads for the remaining) and see how it goes.

Another thing I have is a highly optomised Sim/Orbx install on an NMVe drive rated at a read rate of ~3500 MB per second.

Additionally the Orbx libraries live on a Ram Disk for maximum speed of loading.

Everything happens really quick.

Sorry my p3d config file itself is v4.5, that said the link below is a thread covering a selection of settings I use that you can trial out and see what suits.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/604850-textures-appearing-black/

Cheers

P.S. came across some good mil jet freebees.

Flying over Florida True Earth @ 345 Knots,

Thanks again! The sim only catches up when I get very close with the certain aircraft. 

I will try an affinity mask and let you know how it goes for me. 

So does this mean that you have all of your Orbx products installed on an ecternal drive? Because I run p3d from an ssd currently and have Orbx installed on the same ssd as well. My pc does have a nvme m.2 ssd as well. Should I maybe move Orbx to that or do you reckon I should keep it in my sim root folder?

Great images seriously, I wish to have my sim looking like that. Do you use any other visual editor for your sim?

5 minutes ago, Beiram said:

this is at trueearth florida should the ground resolution look better when this close to the ground?

No, it will never look better than that flying that fast and low, no PC can handle that. You would need to fly a different aircraft very slow and low, that is the purpose of the TE products.

Could you also please post your P3D World and Lighting settings?

i copied all of your settings after i took that screenshot and it got much better, i just still have an issue with farther parts of the scenery, its much lower resolution and when the high resolution trees just sit on top of it it looks very ugly.

Looks good.

The farther in the distance view is not only a limitation of the simulator, but even in real life, trying to see things in a higher resolution at great distances is a challenge.

The (LOD) Level of detail radius setting is what limits it in the sim.

You could also experiment with the P3D zoom setting that will be visible in the top right corner of the screen when adjusting, I use a setting of .55 when viewing from the cockpit, and 1.00 for external view. Keeping in mind, I am also viewing the sim across three 24" monitors, but when I post a screen shot, I will use windowed mode and bring the entire image to one monitor.

Zoom.PNG

Zoom 1.PNG

I edited the nvidia control panel settings and especially the image sharpening, ill see what it does to the sim in a bit. As for the lod radius, i understand that there is a certain radius that we could see in good quality in the sim and in real life however, if you compare your screenshots to mine it seems as if your sims radius is extended much farther then mine. i'll check out the zoom control via chaseplane.

• Like 1