WilliamB

I have been flying with the Misty Flying Club a virtual airlines that is part of Return to Misty Moorings website.  I have been actively flying since before Covid.  Flying started in Alaska and proceeded south down west coast of Canada and the United States.  All Orbx regions were flown through.  No problems occurred on any of these flights until reaching the Southern border of the US.  On reaching San Diego our routes turned to the East.   The fatal error occurred on a flight leg that flew north on the eastern edge of New Mexico starting in Dell City Muni (2ES) with stops at KCNM and KATS ending at Roswell Intl (KROW).  The error first occurred enroute from 2ES and required a restart of the simulator.  I began trouble shooting and found that any flight initiated at KCNM, KATS, or KROW caused the fatal error to occur while on the ramp.  Further trouble shooting indicated; that if you draw a line on the Map north and south from Regina, Saskatchewan to Rapid City, South Dakota to Denver, Colorado-to Roswell, New Mexico all flights flown from airfields west of that line do not cause the fatal error and all flights initiated from airfields east of that line cause the error.

Information given on error:    

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    fsx.exe
  Application Version:    10.0.61637.0
  Application Timestamp:    46fadb14
  Fault Module Name:    weather.dll
  Fault Module Version:    10.0.61637.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    46fadb59
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    0001542f
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    1033

Information on error code: c0000005 indicates it can be caused when an APP calls a memory location that is not present or not larger enough.

I have restored the computer to an earlier time to no effect. 

Any thoughts your may have as to cause of solution to this would be appreiciated.

WilliamB

System:

Win 7 Pro, i7-4790K, AMD RX580 8GB, 32GB Ram, FSX-10.061637.0, Orbx Central v4.1.39, Global Base Pack, Vector, Trees, Open LC North America, All North America Regions, Tongass Fjords,many Orbx Airports, Airport Pack.

Thanks for the weather.dll file.  I copied the file and pasted it to the FSX directory and selected replace the existing file.  Ran FSX and the fatal error was still present.  Would that the problem were that simple.  I don't suppose i could have copied it  into the directory incorrectly?   It is strange that the error only occurs in eastern 1/2 of Open LC North America?

Your help is appreciated

WiliamB

Nick,

I have a question that you may be able to answer.  I have my original FSX Discs.  I think microsoft has discontinued the software approval program but I ran the 1st install disc and it looks like I can run the repair option.  Do you think this could fix the *.dll problem and there is also possibly a problem with the bin files in the weather folder in the fsx directory.  I noticed a wxmapping.bin file that could relate to the fact that the fatal error does not occur when flying in western NAmerica but occurs when flying in eastern NAmerica.   If I run it the repair function could it negatively affect my FSX installation?  My understanding is that the repair function only repairs affected files and leaves everything else alone?  

Thanks for your help.

WilliamB

Hello,

the repair function will replace all of the FSX default files.

If you have Global Base, then you will need to reinstall that

and running verify files for the Orbx Libraries would also be

a good idea.

I don't know where the rumour came from that the FSX activation no longer works.

In my experience, it certainly still does, having made a clean instation of Windows 10

in the middle of July and reinstalled FSX.

Thanks Nick for that information.   I did not think FSX 2006 was compatible with windows 10.  Am I wrong in that assumption?

A fellow on AVSIM responded to my placing the fatal error problem on AVSIM  "Crash to Desktop (CTD) Forum".  I mentioned using the repair feature on the FSX install Disc and he responded among other things that he could not get his FSX Disc approved for install and went to FSXSE instead.  I am glad that microsoft still offers install appproval feature as I intend to continue to use FSX and may want a new install in future.

Do you think scenery order could result in the fatal error problem I am experiencing?  

Thanks again your help is truly appreciated!

WilliamB 

Hello,

in my experience, one can install FSX from its discs onto Windows 10 and activate it as it always been activated.

The Acceleration disc activation may need a small fix to the Windows registry.

I did this in July of this year and FSX is working with Windows 10 today.

Unfortunately, people are prone to post that things are not compatible, when the truth is that they are unable

to make them work, which is quite a different thing altogether.

It is unlikely that a disordered scenery library would cause a CTD.

If you would like to post a copy of your C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg file, I am happy to take a look at it for you.

Please add the file as an attachment and please do not copy and paste its contents.

Nick,

I am interested in the change in the registry entry needed to assure acceleration can be activated.  Do you have a reference to the registry change required?   Do you think running the repair feature on the FSX disc offers the best chance of fixing the fatal error problem?

I also did not mean to conflate or confuse the fatal error with scenery order but I did think scenery order or missing scenery that was called for by the processor could be part or the problem.  I went to the Orbx Central forum as I thought it was the appropriate place.  I did not realize you could address scenery order and Orbx Central issues.  

I will continue to work with Doug on it as I realize I am not very conversant with scenery order, insertion points, and how Orbx Central really works.

Thanks for time and effort to help on this issue.

WilliamB