Two DXGI crashes in two days - over AUS

P3Dv5.2HF1. Scenery installed - FTX Global, AUS v2, YBBN v2, Fly Tampa YSSY.

On a flight today from Brisbane to Sydney P3D stopped with the DXGI message. I didn’t take note of the message details - sorry. I was descending to FL120 around 55nm out from YSSY.

I’ve been flying P3Dv5 over Europe and North America without this problem so I’m concerned why it’s happening over AUS scenery.

I’ve verified FTX Global and AUS v2 files. Is there anything else I can do? Is this a known problem with scenery in this part of the world?

@Doug Sawatzky, thanks for the links but it seems a huge coincidence it’s only happened when flying over Australia which has Orbx addons. I’m prepared to accept FTX Global is probably okay as it’s a global product.

I need to fly this route again and monitor VRAM. I’ve had this error before and it was related to the RTSS display and caused a crash when changing vehicles. Once I stopped using RTSS the problem never appeared until yesterday. Since then I’ve flown dozens of flights.

But on this flight in the PMDG 737-900NGXu I find it difficult to understand why it only happens over Australia. With 11Gb of VRAM it’s inconceivable VRAM was exhausted when I’m 60 miles north of Sydney over pretty scarce scenery.

50 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Have you tried the same flight with a different aircraft?

Not yet. I’ll fly the same route tomorrow with the same aircraft and if it hangs at the same place that will point to a scenery problem. If it doesn’t then it suggests a random DXGI issue. Can’t see the PMDG aircraft being an issue.

34 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Surely, trying the flight with a different aircraft other than PMDG can't be that difficult?

If I try a different aircraft and still get the same crash that points to the scenery. What I want to establish is whether the sim crashes at the same point a second time with the same aircraft.

I need to monitor VRAM usage and report the wording of the DXGI message since there are several different ones. Hard to see how an 11Gb graphics card could run out of memory.

I've just flown the same route with the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25. Cruise at FL430, Mach 0.82. I used today's weather, not yesterday's but the weather being a factor would be odd. VRAM used ranged from 7.1Gb at YBBN to 5.7 enroute and 6.8 at FlyTampa YSSY. Well under the 11Gb of the 1080Ti.

The flight was fine. I'll need to refly it with the PMDG 737-900 again. If it results in a DXGI problem then it would clearly point to the PMDG but searching through their forums reveals very little DXGI discussion. Weird.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve finally identified and resolved this DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG error.

I was never aware of DirectX Shader files. Opening Settings in Windows 10 and selecting the Storage option gives the user the option of deleting many temporary files. These include DirectX Shader files.

Having cleared them I’ve not had the DXGI error in 6 flights. But I have also set my graphics card to Prefer Maximum Performance in the NCP and I have also set TDRDelay=0 in the Registry which turns off the DXGI message.

But I suspect it’s clearing the DirectX Shaders that has fixed it.

• Like 1