Alaska mesh for MSFS and PAJN

merlinux

@merlinux I was partially confused by the description of Juneau being included with the Mesh... So PAJN has in fact been converted over or rebuilt for MSFS and then been included as part of the Mesh release?

I have been flying around Alaska for the past week after seeing some of the Angle of Attack content on Youtube, such amazing scenery in MSFS! Hopefully the Mesh takes the landscape to the next level.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Hunter-Graham said:

@merlinux I was partially confused by the description of Juneau being included with the Mesh... So PAJN has in fact been converted over or rebuilt for MSFS and then been included as part of the Mesh release?

I have been flying around Alaska for the past week after seeing some of the Angle of Attack content on Youtube, such amazing scenery in MSFS! Hopefully the Mesh takes the landscape to the next level.

I was also a bit confused by this. The announcement is the only place I can see that makes reference to it! A few screenshots would be nice and writing it in the purchase description.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, daan_vb said:

I was also a bit confused by this. The announcement is the only place I can see that makes reference to it! A few screenshots would be nice and writing it in the purchase description.

Couldn't agree more!

I feel that the marketing around the Mesh product itself seems to have been a bit lax, then the addition of PAJN, well that would make for some great marketing opportunities.

Historically Orbx has had a brilliant reputation within the flight sim community and the products virtually sell themselves... But, you can't be dropping the ball when there is just so much more competition in this MSFS environment and when the base simulator appears so good and is essentially competing with you!

Honestly, I'm still looking to be convinced that this Mesh product is going to substantially improve upon the default experience. I'm sure that will change, as the days go by and the community gets stuck into it.

I'm seeing a number of the Alaskan airports quickly being developed by other developers, once they are done to a high standard... there is hardly the need to develop another version.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andrew Hunter-Graham said:

Couldn't agree more!

I feel that the marketing around the Mesh product itself seems to have been a bit lax, then the addition of PAJN, well that would make for some great marketing opportunities.

Historically Orbx has had a brilliant reputation within the flight sim community and the products virtually sell themselves... But, you can't be dropping the ball when there is just so much more competition in this MSFS environment and when the base simulator appears so good and is essentially competing with you!

Honestly, I'm still looking to be convinced that this Mesh product is going to substantially improve upon the default experience. I'm sure that will change, as the days go by and the community gets stuck into it.

I'm seeing a number of the Alaskan airports quickly being developed by other developers, once they are done to a high standard... there is hardly the need to develop another version.   

Agreed! I wasn't that intersted in this Mesh but the inclusion of PAJN is swaying me as it was just last night i was looking to see if there was a scenery available. I wouldn't have known unless I read the release announcement...

• Like 2

@Andrew Hunter-Graham@daan_vb

Agree with both of you guys. It is a mystery as to why it is not stated that PAJN is in fact part of the product in the store....

Pretty bad marketing because for an airport + a mesh product the price is quite alright. And it isnt just a small dirt field either, it is the dang state capital airport(and a favourite of mine) :)

The way it is announced in a locked and almost invisible announcement thread, make it sounds like Orbx wanted this to be an easter egg rather than a marketable asset....

Edited by merlinux
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew Hunter-Graham said:

And the answer is yes. I had just a quick look and it looks like a rebuild. At first glance it is similar that their FSX version with updated textures. Never been to Alaska and I aint familiar with the Juneau airport IRL so I cant say if it is an accurate representation of PAJN in 2021 or merely an updated port.

Spotted an Alaskan airline 737 and an Air Canada CRJ at the gates. The water runway and pontoons with static sea planes is there. So are the red GA hangars ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andrew Hunter-Graham said:

Honestly, I'm still looking to be convinced that this Mesh product is going to substantially improve upon the default experience

In his latest MSFS Youtube video, Obsidian Ant comments that he can hardly see the difference between the default and new mesh, and that was after more than 10 hours of doing comparisons! Says he's yet to hear back a comment from Orbx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GeriYi6JS8

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SGunard said:

Can't say the difference made me go 'Wow!' Might be worth it for an improved PAJN though?

I think for the price it is worth for both an improved mesh and PAJN airport. I own all the other panhandle airports by other 3rd party, and they cost as much each.

If you enjoy flying in Alaska it is a straight buy from me.

• Like 3