LIEO Significant FPS drop caused by trees.

G'day,

First up lovely work on the scenery!

Anyway we can get the impact of the trees on the south side of the airport in close vicinity of the airport as an option reduced in number. Whenever my view encompasses them i am getting a significant FPS drop. All other view angles are fine and even moving the camera so you can only see half of them boosts FPS back to normal levels.

So just wondering if an option for tree numbers reduction would be possible in the future.

Im running an I7-7700 and 2080TI so pretty reasonable system.

Thanks and again great work.

Darren

Edited by Darren Howie

1 hour ago, Darren Howie said:

G'day,

First up lovely work on the scenery!

Anyway we can get the impact of the trees on the south side of the airport in close vicinity of the airport as an option reduced in number. Whenever my view encompasses them i am getting a significant FPS drop. All other view angles are fine and even moving the camera so you can only see half of them boosts FPS back to normal levels.

So just wondering if an option for tree numbers reduction would be possible in the future.

Im running an I7-7700 and 2080TI so pretty reasonable system.

Thanks and again great work.

Darren

Hi. I have just visited the area you are referring to in the default Cirrus. I noticed a drop in fps also in that vicinity but it was extremely brief and as the trees were loading into view. I went from 30)+ fps down to 20 but after a brief moment I was panning in outside spot view at a range of 40+ to 35 fps as I panned left to right across the tree line. All other views at the airport varied from the brief 20fps to 60fps while panning around all angles at the airport addon.

These are my XP settings. My PC specs are in my signature:

875948203_XPGraphicssettings.thumb.JPG.5caafa75af542f0f2c258e712f7e44a7.JPG

I am sure you also realise that any payware quality plane will also have an impact on fps. My tests were done and always are done, with a default plane. In this case the Cirrus which may have helped me get a better fps count.

We will see what the update brings

Hello everyone and thanks for your patience.

I've been spending the last few days replacing some of the trees in the mentioned area with another type and performed numerous tests. The "strange" fact is that on my machine (I7 6700K and ASUS ROG 1070 with 32 GB of DDR4) the performance drop is not so visibible (there's a drop of about 3-5 FPS), so it's taking me some time to better figure out how to solve the problem.

I'm quite sure that shadows are also part of the problem, so I'm working with that in mind as well.

If everything goes as planned, a new version should be made available to Orbx in the first part of the next week.

Thank you very much for your patience and feedback!

Hi Vittorio,

I have same performance problems and have already sent a ticket to Jon Clark few days ago and get a very quick response (thank you Jon ) to look at this forum.

Here my ticket in copy and my specifications for your info:

———————————————- 

Aug 22, 2021, 2:24 AM GMT+10 

Hello,

I have massive performance problems with your OLBIA Airport scenery.
I have the fastest INTEL i9 10core processor running with 5,2Ghz, 32GB RAM, fast 512GB SSD drive and have a 8GB graphic card GTX1070Ti with two TFT screens with no performance problems in Xplane until now:
When I load OLBIA default scenery from XP11, frame rate with B737 ZIBO Mod is about 60-70 frames like in the most default airports I load.
BUT when I load your OLBIA scenery I bought 3 days left, frame rate its terrible by only 15-20 frames. So I cant use it, because of stuttering and not working correctly.
I read a test of OLBIA for Prepar3D v4 Flightsim in internet and they wrote that the perfomance is as well not good.
So can you please fix the problem, I think there must be a bug or something strange in your scenery which will drop down my very fast and usually perfect system.
Example: When I load the big Airport EDDM (munich) and scenery I bought, frame rate is running by 35-40 frames on my system with two screens, and this scenery/airport is much bigger than your OLBIA wich is running only with 15-20 frames.
Thank You.

Sandro B.

————————————————

If you want that I should test your new version before you will release it, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you nevertheless for the wonderful Olbia airport.

Sandro

Edited by Projectstudio

• 2 weeks later...

@Jon Clarke @vittoriogrecoUnfortunately the FPS drop is still there post-update. On my I9 10900 / RTX3080 / 32gb system (on 1440p)  it drops to 16/17 fps when looking from the airfield to the area east/southeast of the airfield. so AWAY from the town but, as others have mentioned, to the tree area, or at least in that direction. The drop in FPS is sustained whoile lookign that way. Very similar to the previous poster.The FPS drop is due to CPU load, not GPU load. in other directions no problem at all. 

I've been panning around a lot and noting the frame rates. Bottom line seems the two heavily wooded areas  to the east and southeast of the runway are to blame. Frams are worst when these are both 'in shot' , improving somewhat with only one, and clearing up when panning away. 

As mentioned, high end systems that handles the lagest and densest areas effortless, so little Olbia should be no problem at all. 

Work to do still! 

1385954076_b738_4k-2021-09-0408_46_49.thumb.png.b705f9beb7d3d309c4072ca5ce03348b.png

@IMatAMSI have just tested  again and i am afraid i cannot replicate your findings with my settings and PC specs, both of which are posted her.

Your pic seems to show a high lateral field of view so I set my setting to 101.34. and got 60fps looking from the same view almost as your pic.

I then reverted back to my setting of Lateral field of view 60 and get 28/29fps. I cannot get 16fps anywhere in outside view panning the whole radius of the airport.

You have not mentioned what plane you are using nor what your XP settings are so i cannot compare.

"work to do still" is difficult to define when settings, planes and PC specs are different for all.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.41d4ed5e45b77c4cce4e9c31d2492cf6.JPG

Hello,

I have still exactly the same problems described by IMatAMS, only 16 Frames, there is no improvement detectable with the new version, I think it’s even worse then last version.

I have quite the same graphic settings as IMatAMS described, I use ZiboMod 737.  But the frame drop problems in Olbia occurs as well when I’m using other bought planes or default planes in XP.

Again my specs: i9 10900k processor (!!), 32GB fast RAM, Z490 motherboard, UltraFast SSD, 8GB GTX 1070ti. I have only a few little Plugins like SAM running, Switching ON/OFF my plugins does not change anything within Olbia.

I have no problems with other sceneries, other bought airports at all, only massive problems with Olbia.

Shadow on or off does not change anything in my constellation, so there must be another bug in the scenery which drops down massively the CPU power.

@Jon Clarke shadows off makes a tiny difference. about 19fps instead of 16 when faceing the problem area in the southeast . Issue remains that someting is causing a huge CPU load. 

some more testing:  

*issue is for sure with the LIEO scneery. disabling this and using default airport --> no problems

*disabling Ortho4XP tile --> no difference

*disabling Ortho4XP OVERLAY file --> No difference

This last line is important. It means that even when there are NO OTHER 3d OBJECTS in the scenery, apart from those included in this  package, it still bombs. 

The frame rate drop due to CPU load is entirely due to objects from this package, not any conflicting scenery. 

b738_4k - 2021-09-05 12.25.20.png

I will refer this to the Devs but please understand that it is difficult to ascertain the issue when it cannot be replicated to the same degree as you are describing. There is a lowering of FPS I agree, but not to the extent you are referring to in my own tests and experience.

Hopefully the Devs may see the area of concern. @Ed Correia@vittoriogrecofor review please.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

there is no better performance with new version, still have same problems like written above.

So the worst performance is when I look from airport stand 110 within cockpit and outside of cockpit to the hill right of the sea (16-20 frames). When I look from same point 180 degrees into the other direction, then frames are 45-50.

My setup is still the same as described above and I have only problems with OLBIA, no other performance problems within other airports.

Edited by Projectstudio

Hello Jon,

yes, I have tried all constellations grass on/off/ and static planes on/off, I can’t see any differences, there are badly 16 frames in the position described above, stand 110, Boeing 737 - Zibo Mod. Please note that I’m using always 2 monitors within X-Plane Vulkan but with only 1k resolution each monitor and I have no problems until Olbia.

Maybe the trees or other invisible objects are the reason or there is another bug in the scenery.

I have tested again the standard Olbia scenery (delivered with Xplane) and my frame rate with 2 screens, same stand 110, same plane, exactly same constellation is 50-60.

Edited by Projectstudio

I am running out of ideas I am afraid. The testers reported increased performance, and a customer on this forum has confirmed he is now getting higher fps rates.

You could try a test and rename your Custom Scenery folder to Custom Scenery.bak and make a new Custom Scenery folder.

Drag and drop LIEO plus Global Airports plus OrbxLibs into the new folder and try a flight and see if you have the same performance issues. This would help asses if you are having some kind of clash of addons causing reduced resource levels affecting performance.

@Jon Clarke the performance has increased 'slightly' but still very bad when facing the problem area discussed. I am talking 18-20 fps (previously=16). The problem area southeast of the apt seems to have become a bit smaller. I get 35/40 with settings High at a major international airports like Frankfurt, Munich or CPH, to name some. In a small provincial airport like LIEO should be far above 40 fps on my system.. And I don't really subscribe to the 'clash'... it's an airport scneery. I have hundreds of them. None of them 'clash'.. 

Just to clarify there have been occasions where airport sceneries have clashed and they don't necessarily need top close to each other. I am not saying that this is the cause of your issue. Being in a remote location I have to try and think of all possibilities when trying to assist.

You are currently a lone voice regarding seeing no real performance improvement in LIEO.

I will pass this over to the Dev @Matteo Veneziani @vittoriogreco to see if he can assist.

Hi Jon,

we are already 2 voices with that problems.

I have made yesterday a big test for you,  I made a completely new installation of xplane on my second SSD drive only with Olbia as you suggested and only with Boeing 737 Zibo mod and with no plug ins. Performance is as well bad, no improvement, only 16-17 frames in the area discussed.

This is completely my expectation because I have as well - like user IMatIMS - many other big big airports Frankfurt, Munich, Leipzig installed on my main xplane running with no problems with 30-50 frames.

I don’t have any „clashes“ since years and there can be no clashes on my second xplane test system.

Thanks for your input. We need to see what the Dev says as I cannot replicate the performance issue to the degree you guys are experiencing. I am not using the Zibo mod either. You can see in the comparison pictures posted earlier in this thread that IMatAMS was getting 16fps and I, in the same location, was getting 29fps. The only difference was the plane and Field of View. Field of View affects fps as well

These pics were taken before the latest update.

IMatAMS pic 16fps:

Capture.thumb.JPG.4717cfa6985a1ffebaab160e442be458.JPG

My pic in same location 28fps

Capture1.thumb.JPG.4335de6f515e69de74a0739444281254.JPG

Same location with new update and with static and grass enabled in the Control Panel: FPS 35 vs 28 previously:

Capture2.thumb.JPG.b4067759ed9c675b0b4d8b8fb0c4f67a.JPG

In cockpit view: 35FPS

999145549_InCockpit.thumb.JPG.2b72364c9715ce0be5318c71c7fe42b9.JPG

Lateral Field of View at 126.22 =58-70 FPS 

1831284496_FieldofView126_22.thumb.JPG.3e555b60c30957b2fb8eeccbea62be86.JPG

Extremely difficult to assist when I cannot replicate the performance issue you are experiencing.

• 3 weeks later...

No I have no further info as it was being dealt with via the update that was released.

I will alert @Matteo Veneziani and @vittoriogrecoto comment about any additional plans they have if any.

If you cannot run the addon after the update we may need to look at the possibility of a swap addon but I am not in a position to authorise that kind of thing but will ask @Nick Cooper as to the best resolution to your issue if no further updates are planned. Please note that the addon sold well and we have had very limited reports of user experience being like you are getting especially since the update.

Let's see what the responses are from Matteo/Vittorio and Nick.

Hi Jon,

thank you for the quick answer.

For your info: I have loaded and installed yesterday the free airport Dubrovnik:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/58105-ds_creations-dubrovnik-lddu/

Its absolut similar to Olbia, many many trees and same count of buildings around, same airport size, incl. SAM, marshaller…

My Xplane is running with Boeing 737 Zibo Mod with 40-50 frames with two TFT screens, in all directions, absolut perfect.

Switching to Olbia with completely same settings only running with 15-18 frames, not usable.

Maybe the developer should connect a second screen to test the bad performance in the mentioned directions.

I use the second screen for the left window view of my Boeing 737, but only with 1k resolution.

Regards

projectstudio

You have only just informed that you are using 2 screens. My published test results are in a default plane and single screen. I get 28-35fps and you get 15-18 with a payware standard plane and 2 screens. This may be the difference in our experiences. Do you also use VR?

We need to wait for the responses from @Matteo Veneziani and @vittoriogrecoto see if they can assist but as I mentioned earlier, the update to Olbia took care of the fps issues but not for you it appears.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:00 PM, Projectstudio said:

Hi Vittorio,

I have same performance problems and have already sent a ticket to Jon Clark few days ago and get a very quick response (thank you Jon ) to look at this forum.

Here my ticket in copy and my specifications for your info:

———————————————- 

Aug 22, 2021, 2:24 AM GMT+10 

Hello,

I have massive performance problems with your OLBIA Airport scenery.
I have the fastest INTEL i9 10core processor running with 5,2Ghz, 32GB RAM, fast 512GB SSD drive and have a 8GB graphic card GTX1070Ti with two TFT screens with no performance problems in Xplane until now:
When I load OLBIA default scenery from XP11, frame rate with B737 ZIBO Mod is about 60-70 frames like in the most default airports I load.
BUT when I load your OLBIA scenery I bought 3 days left, frame rate its terrible by only 15-20 frames. So I cant use it, because of stuttering and not working correctly.
I read a test of OLBIA for Prepar3D v4 Flightsim in internet and they wrote that the perfomance is as well not good.
So can you please fix the problem, I think there must be a bug or something strange in your scenery which will drop down my very fast and usually perfect system.
Example: When I load the big Airport EDDM (munich) and scenery I bought, frame rate is running by 35-40 frames on my system with two screens, and this scenery/airport is much bigger than your OLBIA wich is running only with 15-20 frames.
Thank You.

Sandro B.

————————————————

If you want that I should test your new version before you will release it, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you nevertheless for the wonderful Olbia airport.

Sandro

Hello Jon,

I have informed your team already at 22 August (see attached chat, bold marked text) that I’m using 2 TFTs and I described my hole hardware setup…

What do you mean with VR?
regards

projectstudio