It is hot in California...

Stillwater

On 7/21/2021 at 11:42 AM, adambar said:

Nice shots in more ways than one. :D

Thank you Adam. Yes, not only the scenery, also the helicopter looks nice.

7 hours ago, wain71 said:

great shots, suffering here in 30 degrees hate to think what 42 feels like....

Thanks Wayne. From what I read 42 deg was already a relief for those on the west coast. On the other hand, the impact always depends on the humidity, 45°C in the desert is harmless, 45°C in India just before the monsoon is a pain.

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you Adam. Yes, not only the scenery, also the helicopter looks nice.

Thanks Wayne. From what I read 42 deg was already a relief for those on the west coast. On the other hand, the impact always depends on the humidity, 45°C in the desert is harmless, 45°C in India just before the monsoon is a pain.

As someone who lives in the desert, 45°C in the desert is FAR from harmless, even with 6% humility. We do joke about it being a "dry heat," but it kills people every year. The overnights above 90 Fahrenheit can also be deadly as it does not give the body time to cool off in a 24 hour period. 

And for locations that are not used to intense heat, the effect is far worse. Many do not have air conditioning. British Columbia saw hundreds die in less than a week due to the recent heatwave.

"Earlier this week, Lytton, about 150 kilometres northeast of Vancouver, recorded the highest temperature ever seen in Canada on three consecutive days, topping out at 49.6 C on Tuesday as an unprecedented heat wave scorched Western Canada."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Top stuff - great scenery, nice eggbeater, beaut sheila - what else would you want?

Thank you TT. This was just a short hop, but in a highlight of scenery.

12 hours ago, Seanmo said:

As someone who lives in the desert, 45°C in the desert is FAR from harmless, even with 6% humility. We do joke about it being a "dry heat," but it kills people every year. The overnights above 90 Fahrenheit can also be deadly as it does not give the body time to cool off in a 24 hour period. 

And for locations that are not used to intense heat, the effect is far worse. Many do not have air conditioning. British Columbia saw hundreds die in less than a week due to the recent heatwave.

"Earlier this week, Lytton, about 150 kilometres northeast of Vancouver, recorded the highest temperature ever seen in Canada on three consecutive days, topping out at 49.6 C on Tuesday as an unprecedented heat wave scorched Western Canada."

Thanks for commenting Seano. You are right, my wording "harmless" for desert hot weather was wrong. I just meant it is easier to stand than humid heat - at least for a short stay, before you dry out. And that is of course tricky and dangerous.

Regarding the recent heatwave at the north american west coast: I am totally with you, even rich countries suffer these days from weather changes and hundreds died. I am no politician, I am scientist, so I do have thoughts on that. But I should talk just about how much I am shocked to see what happens these days.

As far as I heard Kiribati will get different challenges with changing climate.

• Like 3

I lost my Uncle and my cousin to the desert heat in the Summer of 1969 . There car broke down

in the Saline Valley next door to Death Valley and they tried to walk out …….:(:(

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Very uplifting shots Gerold.

10.6 here at the moment at 3.50 pm.

Similar weather for the next week with showers bring on the 30deg c +

anytime.

cheers

Gumby 

You stimulate fantasies, Gumby. Combine the uplift from the copter with the people´s dresses near the airfield... Marilyn Monroe couldn´t have done better.

Interesting weather variations in your winter.

2 hours ago, BradB said:

I lost my Uncle and my cousin to the desert heat in the Summer of 1969 . There car broke down in the Saline Valley next door to Death Valley and they tried to walk out …….:(:(

That is a tragedy, John. Nowadays even mobile phones might not help in these situations once out of connection or battery.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

What was hot...the weather? The Red Dress?  Both?  :)  Great shots, enjoyed them.

Whatever you feel is correct... the weather was/is hot there with no doubt... ;)

16 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Forgot to ask before - was your title for this thread a line from The Band 1969 song Up On Cripple Creek? First line last verse alternative version .....

Ah, I did not know that song TT! Shame on me...

12 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

These are the variations of flight simming.

Isn't it superb that we now have so many options. Many years ago we only had FS9, now we have P3D, XP 11 and MSFS and most of us are happy with what they can do with it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Isn't it superb that we now have so many options. Many years ago we only had FS9, now we have P3D, XP 11 and MSFS and most of us are happy with what they can do with it.

You make the point, bernd.

7 hours ago, Steve Colbert said:

“Cool” captures!

I can only agree...!

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Enjoyed seeing my hometown airport and our local "hottie".   Couple weeks ago it was 45 C   Sure glad we have lots of lakes and the Sacramento River to cool off!

Thanks for your comment Rob. Now that you can confirm the current temperatures, can you also confirm the airport guests wear red skirts?

• Haha 1