This Week's Meaningless Topic (#45) (July 17)

Hi all. Dadtom65 posted a thread reminding us not to spend too much time in our chairs. He had another clotting incident and wanted to raise the warning. My doctor keeps reminding me that this later stage of life requires movement of some kind--light exercise, walking, etc. As he says, "Just do something." All that good advice leads us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: What exercise do you find effective for your stage of life? How do you keep to the discipline of doing it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Stairs.  Flight SIM is in the basement, so lots of trips up and down stairs every day.  That, at least is on the days I'm not working. Work has me alternating between standing and sitting, as well as some walking.  And when I'm blocking a hat, that is pretty physical.  Wish I could walk more, but knees won't allow it.  But when I am sitting at home, I keep my legs elevated most of the time.  Every chair we own is a recliner.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

swim a bit.

Swim a bit? Ooops I thought y'all meant "swill a bit":P:D. I do beers and simming thanks to my auto pilot on my C 47 when T-Bone is too far to the wind I git up and "fast" walk to the fridge. Thank goodness it ain't too far. And then repeat the action as often as necessary. Sorry, I gotta cut this off now. Time to fast walk to the fridge.:rolleyes::P:D. Stay safe and exercise smartly. Have a safe and happy weekend. Cheers k:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I am blessed to have beautiful beaches nearby. My wife and I will have a long walk on one of them most weekends, then predictably a beer or two for a reward.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Well, for me for the last 6 months or so, I have been off the grid hiking, camping and Jeeping all around Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and New Mexico. Could be why you all haven't seen me around for a bit B) Just had to get away for a bit. Anyhow, I am back now, mostly...going on a 5 day river rafting trip in a few days, but then stabilized for a few weeks :) 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Well, for me for the last 6 months or so, I have been off the grid hiking, camping and Jeeping all around Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and New Mexico. Could be why you all haven't seen me around for a bit B) Just had to get away for a bit. Anyhow, I am back now, mostly...going on a 5 day river rafting trip in a few days, but then stabilized for a few weeks :) 

So good to read a line from you, trust me you have been missed!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Wow, Landon you're so active. I guess you are in love with all that beautiful nature, lucky you

Nice to read back from you.

• Like 2

I read that topic and also this one.

I believe it is indeed a "sign"

A warning for me

I'm 52 pretty healthy I would say

But since I got fired last year I would say I took a pleasant but wrong way.

I say pleasant because who doesn't like to have all the time at disposal but the problem is when you decide for activities that require zero movement.

To make it shorter I feel my legs, after a year and a half, are starting to believe they don't need to move. So I am on my way to change from the couch and bed life style to a bed, couch and hike at least. Maybe will think of more diverse activities in time. The toughest part is to get the motivation and discipline, to distract yourself from what you really love to do for just exercising, sweating and getting tired.

But we must

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by carlosqr
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Wow, Landon you're so active. I guess you are in love with all that beautiful nature, lucky you

Nice to read back from you.

Carlos, I was a Light Infantry dude for 28 years which meant I walked everywhere with lots of weight on my back before I retired (I am 50 now). So, yes, I am used to being active, but also living here in the middle of the region I live in, there is SO much to do outside all year round, that I can't help but being outside a lot. Still, I do love my simming. I just remind myself that I can sim for so many more years if I try to take care of myself in the process. It helps that I also love to run, hike, camp, ski and Jeep. The more I exercise the less I feel bad about spending large chunks of time in front of my PC. Just this morning I had an appointment with my primary care doc, and he kept saying that for someone my age, my blood numbers look great and to keep doing what I am doing. That was encouraging to hear :) 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Carlos, I was a Light Infantry dude for 28 years which meant I walked everywhere with lots of weight on my back before I retired (I am 50 now). So, yes, I am used to being active, but also living here in the middle of the region I live in, there is SO much to do outside all year round, that I can't help but being outside a lot. Still, I do love my simming. I just remind myself that I can sim for so many more years if I try to take care of myself in the process. It helps that I also love to run, hike, camp, ski and Jeep. The more I exercise the less I feel bad about spending large chunks of time in front of my PC. Just this morning I had an appointment with my primary care doc, and he kept saying that for someone my age, my blood numbers look great and to keep doing what I am doing. That was encouraging to hear :) 

This sounds great indeed. I pictured in my mind word by word and I'm really happy for you.

Also it makes me wonder, what if I...... and makes me think, picture myself in some of those activities, lots of thinking... like seeds.

Thank you so much for sharing and encouraging as you sound like we all should live, in contact with nature and intensively

Blessings!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, carlosqr said:

I am on my way to change from the couch and bed life style to a bed, couch and hike at least. Maybe will think of more diverse activities in time. The toughest part is to get the motivation and discipline, to distract yourself from what you really love to do for just exercising, sweating and getting tired.

But we must

Cheers

Carlos

Okay Carlos, now you have to post your kilometres walked each week here on the forum. We will take care for your motivation... >:D!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Hey Landon, super chuffed to see you back! You're living my (our, wifey and me) dream. Was wondering where you'd got to, you were living life. Well done mate, may it keep going for you!

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

My first choice (which is also the most fun) was deleted so here's my second choice. I walk five miles every day and hit the gym three times a week. The discipline part is easy...my wife is  a nurse and if I don't keep up the health routine I'll find my stuff out on the street and I'll be eating TV dinners every night.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1