Orbx TE Installation Issues

Hi Guys,

First time posting on forums so disregard any mistakes I have made. I installed all of Orbx TE Britain last week, and every single time I start up I get "can't locate terrain file" and then X Plane quits. I have browsed other Orbx forums and tried things like deleting back up then installing, checking my storage, verifying my files, but none of them work and the problem has been present for over a week now. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

Welcome to the forums.

Please read the link below which guides you to what is needed to be in place prior to attempting to install an True Earth addon. These are relatively speaking, huge files and need lots of disk Free space in order to successfully  download and install.
Note the parts in the link that refer to the location of your Temp folder which by default is on your C drive. You may well need to move your Temp folder to another drive.

You may also want to store any Backup copies that will got o your C drive also by default, to another drive, or if you have really good internet, you may not need to have backup copies option enabled in Orbx Central/settings/downloader as in the pic below.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/189843-installing-trueearth-addons-guide/

When and if those actions are necessary, then Clear your Temp folder and perform a fresh download and installation, one at a time and test after each download/install to see all is OK. Do not download and install all 3TEGB  addons and then test. Do one at a time.

What free space have you got on your C drive and on the drive you want to install onto?
771866477_CleartempandBackuplocation.thumb.JPG.4ed4439819962aebe0943032ec4a67a0.JPG

Hi Jon,

I did what you said and installed each one at a time. GB Central installs perfectly, but South and North both still have files missing upon reinstalling. Any idea why? 

Thanks for your continued help,

Tom

What free space do you have on C drive?

What free space do you have on the drive you have installed onto, assuming it is not C drive?

Please attach your Log file, attach a pic of your Orbx Central/settings/downloader page like the one I had attached in my last post to you.

Thanks

First thing to do is to open your scenery_packs.ini and move the TEGB South entries so that they are correctly layered.

Your scenery_pack entries for TEB South should be like this:

Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Airports/

Custom Scenery/Global Airports/

Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/

Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/

Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/ 

Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/

You should also have the X-Plane Landmarks London file installed, which I don't see, as it is required for TEGB Sout to operate correctly and needs to be above the other TEGB South entries as I show in Red the above layering sequence

Have you moved your Temp folder to the D drive? If not please do so. You need to create a new folder on D drive. Name it as Temp.

Go to Orbx Central/settings/downloader and click on Temporary Folder/edit. Then locate your new Temp folder on D drive and click on it. It should then show your Temp folder as on D:\Temp. See pic below:

e.thumb.JPG.f22b8cb52c591e257362ca83a5a6b3b2.JPG

Did you move your Backups storage location or did you not have Backup enabled? The pic I have attached shows the option to have backups made and also the location they will be stored in. Again this is C drive by default. I suggest you also move the location to D drive by performing the same editing routine as you do for relocating the Temp folder.

Now try installing TEGB North

Wen you have done that and after installing TEGB North, report back and attach your scenery_packs.ini so I can check it.

Very odd.

Your pic of your Orbx central/settings/downloader does not show any file name for the Temp you have moved to D drive. It just shows D. You need to make a folder and name it as Temp.

Capture.thumb.JPG.e1b4aa4457cca4732487fe10eba62a72.JPG

If you are installing onto your external drive does it have a self created library that you direct the installation onto when asked where to install by Orbx Central?

If so then please attach a pic of your Orbx Central/settings/libraries page that shows the name of the Library.

Again please attach now your XP Log file as I need to see the error that is being reported for TEGB South.

Do you get the onscreen message about "cannot locate terrain file"

I have slightly rearranged your scenery_packs but it only concerns LOWI files and not TEGB South. Replace your existing one with the attached one please.

scenery_packs.ini

Hopefully we will get this resolved soon. What i now notice in the pics you sent is that neither the Temp nor the Library are showing any contents but that both now have folder names.

Please confirm or action  the following:

1. do you still have any Backup copies in the original Backup storage location on your C drive Users/your name/AppData/roaming/Orbx/Central/backups.

If so please remove TEGB South.

Please. via Orbx Central. Clear you Temp folder.

Reboot your PC.

Open Orbx Central/settings/downloads and go to the Concurrency section and ensure you set that to the correct type of drive. Your pic shows SSD but your drive is an external drive. Is it a SSD? If not choose Hard Disk Drive.

Move down to Conversions and set it to Moderate from the current High

Download TEGB South. I know it's a pain but we want to avoid the possibility that any backup copy maybe corrupted.

When offered the option of where to download ensure you choose  D/Orbx libraries. Also when the download starts just check that the new Temp folder on D drive is being populated with the download.

Hi Jon.

Thank you again.

I deleted the backup GB South files. I also cleared the Temp folder through Orbx central. I rebooted my PC and then changed the concurrency to HDD as that is where I am installing. I also changed conversions to moderate.

I am in the process of installing and will get back to you soon. And yes the Temp folder is being populated with the download.

Hopefully this time we are successful! I am feeling optimistic! :) 

I will be signing off shortly and back very early morning (5-5.50am) UK time tomorrow unless i drop in here during the day.

Hopefully this installation will go OK, but whatever happens, when finished, attach your scenery_packs.ini and XP log file please

Your scenery_packs.ini and your Log file do not show TEGB South/Custom as installed:

SCENERY_PACK D:\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\SAM\lib\SAM_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/SAM_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_LOWI_Innsbruck/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_LOWI_LOJT/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EBBR Brussels/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_ENOV_A_Orsta_Volda/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LSGG Genf/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Digital_Design_A_EGGP_Liverpool_Roads/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Digital_Design_EGGP_Liverpool/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_EGNM_LeedsBradford/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_EGNT_Newcastle/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_EGPH_Edinburgh/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGFF_A_Cardiff/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGHI_A_Southampton/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/

THE CUSTOM SCENERY FILE SHOULD BE HERE
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_B_LOWI_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_LOWI_DrapedOrthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_D_LOWI_Orthos/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - New York/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Sydney/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Washington DC/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Chicago/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Dubai/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Las Vegas/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/MisterX_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_OrbxlibsXP/

Please run the Verify Files again for TEGB South.

1. Please tell me if you still have a Temp folder in the original default location if so delete it.

Also please post a pic of the Properties/ D Drive so I can see the free space available.

It should look like this example:

Capture.JPG.40c52fd8efc49cd9effc473de2e25183.JPG

This very strange and I am running out of ideas since the error message about  " cannot locate etc" is 99% related to a lack of free space. You now do not have that issue since you have moved your Temp to D drive with 1.42TB free space.

I am probably going to have to move this issue to my colleagues at the Support forum for Orbx Central as I have exhausted all the avenues I know of regarding this issue.

I am therefore going to summarise what we haver done to date:

1. Moved Temp to D drive with 1.42TB free space

2. Removed Backups and moved Backup storage location to D drive

3. Changed Conversion speed to Moderate in Orbx Central.

4. Made a new Library on D drive for installation of addons

5. Uninstalled and reinstalled TEGB South but get the "cannot locate terrain file" error message

6. Uninstalled and reinstalled TEGB North.

7. On the last installation attempts of TEGB South and North the files failed to convert.

Please look at my points made above and  confirm and add anything you think we have not tried.

@Sentry11 Thank you I now understand.

I went about trying to change it a few minutes ago, and when I right click on the drive and select format, it already has NTFS set as default but shows FAT32 on properties.

Do you have any idea what is going on with that?

Are you saying you tried to reformat the D: Drive??? I hope that attempt didn't work because if it did it would wipe out all files on the drive.

You should never reformat a drive without backing up any files that you may still require later after the reformat.

Post a screenshot of the drives's proprerty's pane.

Going nowhere with this problem so running out of options.

I will ask @Nick Cooper if he can offer any ideas as it is an installation rather than pure XP issue.

We may also need to pass to the Orbx Central support folks to see if they can help.

With that in mind, please attach your Orbx Central log file available as shown in the pic below.

I suggest you zip the file it as it may now be fairly large.

1581406501_OpenCentralLog.thumb.JPG.cdc3e0ed65986b6e295782aabb1faa30.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I know it’s nearly been a month since this problem arose, but I have finally installed GB TE products into my sim. I reset my PC and downloaded X Plane again, not installing anything else in the process. I then installed all TE first and everything went smoothly. All along there must have been some sort of addon messing with the installation. Just wanted to quickly thank @Jon Clarke and others for quickly and efficiently responding to my requests. You guys are awesome :)