KVNY panning very laggy

Hi,

First off, fantastic work on KVNY - it's where I completed my PPL checkride so I know and love the field very much!

I've waited to bring this issue up until I had tested with several different aircraft, specifically the CJ4 (WT mod), the JustFlight Piper PA-28R Arrow, and the PMDG DC-6. I've noticed when panning around in cockpit and outside, the panning to be very very laggy. It's strange cause I'm not getting bad performance so to say, my frame rates are still solid 40s in this area, I would estimate - I've just noticed this lag when panning, which is a bit annoying.

I've noticed as soon as I fly away from the field that this goes away. I don't have this issue at KBUR (I own the Orbx version as well) or other airports in the area so I'm singling KVNY out here.

I have a very capable brand new machine 5900X, RTX 3090, 64GB RAM and I get consistently great performance so this shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts on a solution?

Thanks,
Brandon

• Like 1

I too am experiencing lag when panning.  As you stated, frame-rates are ok, it is just when I look to the right, left and behind that it hesitates for a second or two.

Paul

6 hours ago, Matteo Veneziani said:

Hi, i am looking to add LOD to kvny in the next update, this probably will have some nice impacts on the performance.

Cheers

Thank you, Matteo. Looking forward to this! Much appreciated for the response.

8 hours ago, Casebug said:

When is Van Nuys coming to MSFS marketplace

Orbx has absolutely no control over that and cannot say. That is 100% a question for Microsoft (that they won't answer). Orbx submits it to the Marketplace and then Microsoft takes its time before eventually posting it. Same thing for updates. Those of us who buy directly from Orbx always end up getting updates much sooner than Marketplace purchasers simply because of the process Microsoft has in place and there is nothing Orbx can do about it. A guess would be that Van Nuys will show up at the same exact time as the next update for MSFS. 

On 7/11/2021 at 3:38 PM, Matteo Veneziani said:

Hi, i am looking to add LOD to kvny in the next update, this probably will have some nice impacts on the performance.

Cheers

Hi Matteo - good news about LODs! I'm really enjoying the scenery as well ( 14 years flying there IRL )...   

any chance of sneaking in the Sherman Way tunnel / underpass? It's one of the only unique features that's noticeably missing. I know it's not trivial to add - but it'd be a nice addition.

1 hour ago, ravenn22 said:

Hi Matteo - good news about LODs! I'm really enjoying the scenery as well ( 14 years flying there IRL )...   

any chance of sneaking in the Sherman Way tunnel / underpass? It's one of the only unique features that's noticeably missing. I know it's not trivial to add - but it'd be a nice addition.

Hi Ravenn22,

Thank you! The underpass it is something that i would love to add, in fact i have created a very detailed version to use in the scenery, but unfortunately i discovered that the sim terrain in this zone does not respond enough to create the hole to fit the 3d model of the tunnel, this is why i decided to go with the " fake " tunnel. I realy hope Asobo will improve the terrain responsiveness even in the photogrammetry areas.

Regards

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matteo Veneziani said:

Hi Ravenn22,

Thank you! The underpass it is something that i would love to add, in fact i have created a very detailed version to use in the scenery, but unfortunately i discovered that the sim terrain in this zone does not respond enough to create the hole to fit the 3d model of the tunnel, this is why i decided to go with the " fake " tunnel. I realy hope Asobo will improve the terrain responsiveness even in the photogrammetry areas.

Regards

Totally understand - I'm working on a small airport with a water runway ( literally a 1m deep ditch filled with water :P ) and working with the terrain system on that has been challenging... I'm having to blend edge geo with the underlaying terrain to get the right look.

BTW - still seeing some odd issues with the windsock at the 16R end - I know it was addressed in the first patch, but when I first spawn at the airport it's floating like before, after flying around the area for a while and coming back into land - it's on the ground at the correct height. IDK ;) 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ravenn22 said:

Totally understand - I'm working on a small airport with a water runway ( literally a 1m deep ditch filled with water :P ) and working with the terrain system on that has been challenging... I'm having to blend edge geo with the underlaying terrain to get the right look.

BTW - still seeing some odd issues with the windsock at the 16R end - I know it was addressed in the first patch, but when I first spawn at the airport it's floating like before, after flying around the area for a while and coming back into land - it's on the ground at the correct height. IDK ;) 

Thanks!

Hi, with the upcoming update ( i am not sure if it is already out or not ) the windsock should be fixed.

regards

• Like 1

@paulk Although the LA area has lot of photogrammetry that's not really the issue .KLAX runs way better than KVNU on my system. KBUR is a bit low on fps for me but does not have the same lag when panning .The airports are just not well optimized atm .I had plans to do flights out of KVNY now have to put them on hold but Iove the detail at the airport. 

We will just have to wait. 

Edited by JeralewalGy777

On 7/15/2021 at 10:39 PM, Seanmo said:

Orbx has absolutely no control over that and cannot say. That is 100% a question for Microsoft (that they won't answer). Orbx submits it to the Marketplace and then Microsoft takes its time before eventually posting it. Same thing for updates. Those of us who buy directly from Orbx always end up getting updates much sooner than Marketplace purchasers simply because of the process Microsoft has in place and there is nothing Orbx can do about it. A guess would be that Van Nuys will show up at the same exact time as the next update for MSFS. 

Thank you! Was hoping to see it today with the latest sim update/Xbox release... nothing yet.

@bburkley So I tested Burbank today and its definitely running better. However KNVY still lags when moving panning but the fps is noticeably higher only when the camera is still. Looks like all my Orbx airports run well but VAN NUYS. Guess will have to wait for an update.

Edited by JeralewalGy777

12 hours ago, JeralewalGy777 said:

@bburkley So I tested Burbank today and its definitely running better. However KNVY still lags when moving panning but the fps is noticeably higher only when the camera is still. Looks like all my Orbx airports run well but VAN NUYS. Guess will have to wait for an update.

KVNY was the first airport I tried after updating to SU5 yesterday. It seems to be slightly better with the new update but there is definitely work to be done - it's definitely an issue with the scenery itself. Matteo said he was working on LOD improvements, so looking forward to that update - I haven't seen anything released on Central yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Matteo Veneziani
Matteo, is an optimization pass in the works for VNY?   Even running on a fast NVMe and a 3070 ti card, this airport just murders frame rate.   Generally its ok if not looking around, but a pan to the side goes into single digits sometimes.   And today just for testing I did a low pass in the A32nx without looking around, just straight ahead and frames got so bad the scene was surging and stuttering and I nearly lost control... As soon as the last bit of airport scenery left the screen, performance snapped back to my usual.  

It only happens when pretty close to the airport, and I'm not seeing these problems with Orbx KSBA or KBUR, so it seems something is specific to this scenery.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Matteo Veneziani

@Ed Correia

Hi, could we please have an update for this. I’m hesitant to buy anymore sceneries from this developer if it’s hit or miss as to whether it’s usable or not knowing the issues will not be fixed. KVNY looks great but is unusable due to the performance issues.

thanks for your time :)

Edited by Rs747
Add @
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rs747 said:

@Matteo Veneziani

@Ed Correia

Hi, could we please have an update for this. I’m hesitant to buy anymore sceneries from this developer if it’s hit or miss as to whether it’s usable or not knowing the issues will not be fixed. KVNY looks great but is unusable due to the performance issues.

thanks for your time :)

I just did a series of small tests.  Photogrammetry On then OFF.  Orbx KVNY installed then uninstalled.

My tests came up with almost identical performance figures with both KVNY installed and then uninstalled.  There was a slight increase in lagging with the Orbx airport installed but you'd have to expect a little bit of load on the system with the modelled airport.  

The biggest difference is between Photogrammetry and normal scenery.  With both the default airport and Orbx KVNY, the lagging is quite evident with PG on, and much less with PG off.

If you are running any mods traffic programs etc they can make a big difference in MSFS as most are not optimised.  Freeware airports canoften have unintended consequences in scenery ad they don't even have to be in range.

In summary, with my Orbx only Community folder, flying the Optica, in both directions along the runway axis, in fine weather, I see a negligible difference between the default and the Orbx KVNY.  The biggest difference is whether PG is on or off.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit surprised to read that the scenery does not use LOD and has this kind of performance impact. How can this pass Orbx quality control?

Looking forward to an update, and also hope you're able to add the tunnel/underpass that was mentioned, seems interesting. Have you and Orbx reached out to ASOBO about the difficulties of adding such a feature? I've seen some tunnels in a freeware scenery, but the autor complained about some difficulties/artefacts adding it.

• Upvote 1