Password leaks?

Mawson

Hi Orbx, I am getting told by Microsoft antivirus that Orbx were subjected to a data leak and I should change my password, is this correct?

Its sort of funny that the world of hackers is so desperate now to steal geeky flight sim add ons lol. 

I think they may be disappointed . 

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Ed Correia said:

Nothing like that has occurred here.

Be sure that you are not using the same password across various sites as a breach at another site may flag your password as being comprised.

I have changed it just in case but I'll check. 

3 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Nothing like that has occurred here.

Be sure that you are not using the same password across various sites as a breach at another site may flag your password as being comprised.

This was the report I received . 

Capture_LI.jpg

I got a message when I tried to log in at another flight sim site that said there had been a data breach and I needed to check my passwords.  That did not make sense to me and the message seemed a bit scammy so I just exited with out logging in.  This problem could be related to the grwing number of flight simmers.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bullfox said:

I got a message when I tried to log in at another flight sim site that said there had been a data breach and I needed to check my passwords.  That did not make sense to me and the message seemed a bit scammy so I just exited with out logging in.  This problem could be related to the grwing number of flight simmers.

It's not a scam as I had our IT company confirm this is a service provided through MS and Edge browser. It is only only the preview builds at the moment. 

Password Monitor is now available in Microsoft Edge preview builds - Microsoft Tech Community

Edited by Mawson

I got a similar message from Apple on my iPhone. My password had been detected in a breech somewhere and since I was logged in on Orbx I guess Apple knew I was using that password on Orbx. They truly know everything about us...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Mawson

Hi Mawson

I think there is some confusion regarding this.  The message you received does not mean that there is a data leak at Orbx.

My understanding of it is the  following:

Firstly saving passwords in your browser, even though it is very convenient can create a significant security risk for the following reason.

It is apparently very easy for websites to read the saved password cache from a browser when you access them if they

wish to do so for whatever reason. 

If you are interested there are many articles available in a Google search on this topic , especially with respect to specific browsers

and how they react to this.  Unfortunately some are much more robust than others in terms of how they deal with this situation.

The option that you have turned on in Edge, allows Edge on log on,  to access a MS based data file that lists passwords that

have been compromised  in some fashion by comparing passwords that you have saved in Edge with the MS master list.

Google Chrome also has the same feature.

How or where the compromise occurred may not be clear to you at all and most likely is unrelated

to the actual website that matches with your password.   

Please don't misunderstand my comment. I am not implying that you visit nefarious websites at all.

Rather that having saved passwords in your browser can create a security risk as potentially somewhere in

your web browsing experience, your saved password cache may have been read for some reason and a resulting

compromise occurred as a result. This I believe is what the Edge message is telling you.

As Ed mentioned @Ed Correia in his note to you,  Orbx is secure , but also provided some useful tips .

Both MS and Google also have excellent information available both in terms of documentation and additional resources

that may be helpful to you in providing a secure browsing environment.

Hope this is of help

Best regards

Renault

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1