Correction Of Inaccuracies In Future Updates

GaryRR

I noticed in my local area there is still a bridge that doesn't exist which is long a carryover from old FS9 scenery base. 

If I give coordinates and local would it be possible to edit this bridge out in future OpenLC NA update?

Thanks

The location in question of the non- existant bridge is

40⁰32⁰30⁰ N 76⁰57⁰26⁰ W

It is across the Susquehanna River at a little town called Millersburg, PA. There has never been a bridge there at all. There is a seasonal Ferry which is the last wooden stern wheel ferry in the US. That would make nice marine traffic, ain't? 

Anyway MS default and UTX, both US Based have gotten that bridge in the scenery for years but there is no bridge nor ever has been IRL. Can you see if it's there under Vector? If not I will switch seeing as it's more accurate. 

Thanks

The location in question of the non- existant bridge is

40⁰32⁰30⁰ N 76⁰57⁰26⁰ W

It is across the Susquehanna River at a little town called Millersburg, PA. There has never been a bridge there at all. There is a seasonal Ferry which is the last wooden stern wheel ferry in the US. That would make nice marine traffic, ain't? 

Anyway MS default and UTX, both US Based have gotten that bridge in the scenery for years but there is no bridge nor ever has been IRL. Can you see if it's there under Vector? If not I will switch seeing as it's more accurate. 

Thanks

So, that does not resemble the town I know all my life. I was just wondering if there is a bridge over the Susquehanna river at that location. 

If one takes off from KCXY near Harrisburg, PA and follows the river north about 25 nautical miles one would be over the location in question.

I gave the coordinates off the Google maps. I wonder if there is a coordinate variance between the software and real world. 

Thanks

I hear what you're saying and requesting but the Open Landclass products have only replaced the default textures with upgraded and more accurate textures for 'land class', not for details such as bridges.  The FS and P3D sceneries use a 1km x 1km grid system (modifiable to a certain extent) that lays down scenery approximating the actual scenery for an area.  You might have open farmland in this grid cell, forest in the next, suburbs in the next.  But it doesn't alter details such as roads and bridges.  Vector does attempt to make roads and bridges and a whole lot of other features more accurate but it mostly relies on publicly available geodata to accomplish this, and is therefore mostly limited by the information that is out there in the public domain.

I know it's annoying to have details that aren't right in the sim but suspension of disbelief is an important part of simming.

There are freeware scenery editing programs available that might allow an exclusion to be put in the bridge location however I don't know enough about them to say for sure.  it might be an avenue for investigation if you're really keen.  But as you say, in the landclass product, the cities and towns don't look anything like reality so an extra bridge might not make that much difference anyway.

• Like 1

Strangely enough, the actual footprints and street grids of the towns locally here are very close to correct under Open LC NA. And my local area is rather rural with a constellation of small towns from a few hundred to two-thousand inhabitants. The somewhat larger towns are even more accurate in terms of footprint and street grid. Of course, individual buildings are not quite there but that isn't real noticeable from altitude. I know in larger places like NYC, Chicago, LA, Atlanta, etc. there are more accurate depictions of real buildings. But Sat data should see where a bridge is or not. 

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Have you tried MSFS yet , the default scenery using Bing maps is excellent .

I would but have unresolvable difficulties with Live. Also, flight modeling and procedure are important to me and between P3D and Xplane there is plenty of both.

MSFS will likely not recieve any academic or training endorsement in the States by virtue of being marketed as entertainment. 

• Upvote 1