Cape Town Floating Lights

A HUGE thank you for Cape Town Landscape ... we've waited 25 years for someone to bring this beautiful city to our flightsim community. Seeing that it's my hometown and being a pilot myself, it is such a joy to fly around and around the city and beaches in all the splendour that Cape Town has to offer.

It is, however, a shame to discover that at night the lights over the city are floating in the air ... it doesn't do it with default scenery. Any possibility for a fix in order to see your new lighting for the city in all its glory?

Cpt_lights2.jpg

Cpt_lights1.jpg

:o

I accidently stumbled upon a post that suggested to delete any manual scenery cache that was created for a specific region when installing new scenery over it and voilà ... light problem SOLVED. well, so it seems. Just did a quick low-pass over the city and although it was very late it was not as apparent as earlier the night. Will check and recheck again later today.

Quite a handy tip to remember when installing scenery where msc was created.

4 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

:o

I accidently stumbled upon a post that suggested to delete any manual scenery cache that was created for a specific region when installing new scenery over it and voilà ... light problem SOLVED. well, so it seems. Just did a quick low-pass over the city and although it was very late it was not as apparent as earlier the night. Will check and recheck again later today.

Quite a handy tip to remember when installing scenery where msc was created.

Out of curiosity where would one find said scenery cache sir?

2 minutes ago, Ticker7 said:

Out of curiosity where would one find said scenery cache sir?

The Manual Scenery Cache is found under OPSIONS, and DATA, and at the bottom. Don't confuse it with Rolling Cache. There are excellent videos on YouTube how to use Manual Scenery Cache. What it basically does, is to enable you to download specific areas of the world onto your PC and therefore no need to 'stream' it when flying there.

3 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Correct, this is something that has been around since the launch of MSFS and affects 3rd party scenery rather randomly. Even across MS retail and Steam versions is this phenomenon inconsistent.

Yes, this is a well known problem, but the OP says this issue does not exist with the default CPT scenery. So it looks like the Orbx add on triggers the issue in this area. Maybe Orbx could have a look what might be the trigger and eliminate it.

Edited by wolfko

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

Maybe Orbx could have a look what might be the trigger and eliminate it.

... and maybe it is the same reason why the lights are floating over Innsbruck - it is such a passion killer to fly into this wonderful airport at night. And I don't have any Manual Cache for LOWI. 

Hi guys,

the weird thing about those hovering lights above buildings is that their appearance is inconsistent; during some of my night flights across the city there are none, during others the entire road network seems to have lifted off. Possibly related to start location and flight path but I'm not sure.

It's not a local issue though as it does happen in many default areas too. What would be helpful if MS/Asobo gave us the ability to exclude or place these floating orbs; at the moment we have zero control over their position and altitude.

Cheers, Holger

• Upvote 1