Installation Location

I obtained the following products:

Global Base Pack

Global Buildings HD

Global Vector

openLC North America

Global Airport Pack

Orbx Libraries

I wanted to install these products outside my sim directory so I created a directory with the path D:\Orbx\Libraries. It’s on a separate hard drive from my system Drive C where my main FSX SE files live.

Then in Orbx Central I went to Settings\Libraries and created a library called “My Library” and set the location as D:\Orbx\Libraries. On the Library Settings page it says “When installing a product, you will be prompted to select which library you want to install to” but when I installed my products, I didn’t see a prompt to choose a library.

The D:\Orbx\Libraries directory is empty but a directory named “Orbx” was created within my FSX SE root directory on Drive C. Within that Orbx directory are the following directories:

Config

FTX_AU

FTX_GLOBAL

FTX_OLC

FTX_VECTOR

Scripts

User Documents

Weren’t those files supposed to be installed into “My Library” at D:\Orbx\Libraries?

Thanks for your patience. I’m a long time simmer but new to Orbx.

Does scenery load faster if the system drive and separate scenery storage drive are both HDD drives? The reason I’m asking is that when I fly with the new Orbx products, buildings are populating near the aircraft. I don’t recall having that problem with the default FSX scenery. I’m using the FSX scenery settings that are recommended in the Global Base Pack user guide.

My system:

i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz with 32 GB installed RAM

Radeon RX 580 graphics card with 8 GB RAM

Also… if I keep the Orbx folder in the FSX root folder, is there any need to have a library if I’m using FSX SE? If so, how would I use a library with FSX SE?

And… I see all of the backup files in my designated backup folder. If I uninstall a product, does it delete that product’s files from the FSX\Orbx folder? And then if I want to reinstall the product, instead of downloading the product files from the Orbx server again, it installs the product from the backup files on my computer, correct?

Hello,

scenery will load at the speed of the slowest drive.

However, FSX never needs scenery faster than an HDD can deliver it and the only difference between

an HDD and an SSD is in the time it takes for the initial loading of the simulator.

FSX-SE is FSX delivered by Steam and therefore all the same rules apply.

If you uninstall a product, then it is completely removed from your PC.

If you made a backup and that product has not been updated in the meantime, then Orbx Central will

indeed use the backup

Hello,

just like FSX, you cannot use an Orbx Central Library with FSX-SE.

Like FSX, you can use the same symbolic link, so in fact, you could

use the same files and avoid duplication.

As I mentioned before, FSX Steam Edition is to all intents and 

purposes, the same as FSX Gold.