New monitor for MSFS

harpsi

Hi

I am having some problems to choose a monitor for MSFS.

I had a lot of statements and it is getting very confused until now. HDR, HRR, VRR, G-Sync, G-Sync adapt, G-Sync compatible... I am getting confused with all of these. 

First, the specs and the needs: 

1. I have i9-10900K with Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC 24GB

2. I would like to run MSFS in a 2K resolution (2560x1440).

I would like to know if the following options are good for MSFS, and if not, why:

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-VG27AQ1A/

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-VG27AQL1A/

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-VG27AQ/

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL850-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07TD94TQF

I would like to keep it simple, like a "yes/no" answer and a short answer if the opinion is negative. I am trying to choose something and if I keep discussions for 3 months, it is impossible to buy something.  

NOTE: Just forget the post before. I cannot delete it.

• Like 1

Any on these monitors will be just fine for MSFS and they are all very similar in spec - same size, screen technology and feature g-sync which will work with your RTX 3090. I would strongly look at an ultrawide screen for MSFS though as I think it is more immersive and your GPU is more than capable of driving 3440x1440 for example.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 7:21 PM, Donka said:

Any on these monitors will be just fine for MSFS and they are all very similar in spec - same size, screen technology and feature g-sync which will work with your RTX 3090. I would strongly look at an ultrawide screen for MSFS though as I think it is more immersive and your GPU is more than capable of driving 3440x1440 for example.

After searching and more searching monitors, and asking questions here and in other forums, I think I have found a monitor, the Dell AW2721D, mainly for Microsoft Flight Simulator and video editing/rendering, that satisfies the following conditions:

* G-Sync - In this case it's even G-Sync Ultimate. With a G-Sync compatible monitor maybe I could have problems with low frames (between 20 and 40 with a lot of addons and ultra settings) and/or low framerate compensation, with tearing, stutters, or lag.
* 2K - Instead of 4K. The Asus RTX 3090 can handle it, but once the frames would be lower, the other hypothesis would be to lower the game settings which I would not like to do. I always like to have AI traffic 80-100%, pushback cars, ultra settings, complexed scenery, volumetric clouds, real world weather, and all the stuff you can imagine.
* IPS - Most of the VA monitors with all the other conditions are too expensive.
* HDR - Most of the monitors with HDR are TN or very expensive and 4K if they are IPS. This one is IPS and has HDR, although other monitors could be much better with this issue.
* VRR - If I would like to play another game different from Flight Simulator, I would have a monitor with variable refresh rate and not fixed at 60 Hz or 75 Hz, which anyway is not easy to find at a good price.

And the price is not so expensive. It will cost around 700 euros.

The idea is to have a 2K monitor for now. If the experience is good, I turn this monitor into a second monitor and I will buy a 4K monitor to be a main monitor, if a new videocard is not needed... 

Tell me your opinion.

All fairly sound thinking but remember VRR is one of the components of G-Sync so don’t treat them as separate decision points. If you have g-sync then you already have vrr. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

After thinking, rethinking, having some extra bugdet and seeing that good monitors are also in shortage like GPUs, I have now two options at a great discount:

- Dell Allienware AW3420DW with G-Sync native, 3440*1440, but no HDR

- LG 48A16LA 48" OLED UltraHD 4K with fixed refresh rate at 60 Hz and it seems with HDR10 (is it true?)

My main problem is tearing, lag or stutters when MSFS is going to 20-30 fps since I like to have all types of extra addons installed like AI aircraft, volumetric clouds and so on... 

Which one to choose? I still have 1 day to decide...

My main specs are: i9-10900K, Asus RTX 3090 OC, MSI MEG Z490 ACE, RAM 32 GB 3200 CL16 and Kraken Z73.

Tearing is only really going to be an issue in MSFS when panning your view around. If you are doing this regularly then you may want to lean towards the Dell. I also personally prefer the wide aspect for flight sims although if sitting close enough to the TV then it is less of an issue. You will also get better fps running at native on the Dell.

The LG is the bigger panel though and will yield the better image, especially if Windows gets its HDR act together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donka said:

Tearing is only really going to be an issue in MSFS when panning your view around. If you are doing this regularly then you may want to lean towards the Dell. I also personally prefer the wide aspect for flight sims although if sitting close enough to the TV then it is less of an issue. You will also get better fps running at native on the Dell.

The LG is the bigger panel though and will yield the better image, especially if Windows gets its HDR act together.

But for image quality do I get much better image if I go to this LG 48 A1 due to its HDR feature? 

And yes, I don't stay inside the cockpit for too long. I like to see all views. Cockpits are for take-off, landing, taxiing mainly. I can stay insider the cockpit if the panoramic view around is good, let's say...

Edited by harpsi

The LG will offer the better image quality with the correct source and settings. It’s really a judgement call on where you will use it and what else you use the computer for in all honesty. I would also add if you are new to LG OLED TVs that motion handling isn’t their strongest point so something else to review and factor in. May not be an issue with MSFS and it’s slower pace though - I’ve never used mine for flight sims. 

1 hour ago, Donka said:

The LG will offer the better image quality with the correct source and settings. It’s really a judgement call on where you will use it and what else you use the computer for in all honesty. I would also add if you are new to LG OLED TVs that motion handling isn’t their strongest point so something else to review and factor in. May not be an issue with MSFS and it’s slower pace though - I’ve never used mine for flight sims. 

I never used a TV as a monitor... 

I just had my Asus VE248H Full HD monitor for FSX. That's it.

So, I don't know what you mean exactly...

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using my 55" LG OLED TV for just about a week now...

Both sims that I use (Prepar3d v 5.2 HF1) and MSFS are breathtaking...Prepar3d looks a different sim and not far behind MSFS..

Smoothness has improved and upped the immersion factor. Expensive yes but most certainly worth it.

I am so happy I went the OLED route..

Dave

• Like 1