London City Airport. Digital ATC

Jon Clarke

The technology looks impressive but why do it people. You can’t beat natural vision for want of a better term.

A bunch of controllers have to be somewhere, they may as well be up the tower not relying on every screen and camera and the link between them to be working perfectly 100% of the time just as our eyes do.

I think it’s a little opposite to us simmers, we spend our time trying to make it look like less of a sim and more real and they are making it look less real and like more of a sim.

Plenty will disagree, but it’s just my thought.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I read about this a while ago. I love technology advancements and I am heavily involved in real world aviation.

But on this one I have to agree with Vanderlay just because we have the technology to do it doesn’t mean we have to do it. 

Just my own personal thought, perhaps I’m also getting too old.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, vanderlay said:

The technology looks impressive but why do it people. You can’t beat natural vision for want of a better term.

A bunch of controllers have to be somewhere, they may as well be up the tower not relying on every screen and camera and the link between them to be working perfectly 100% of the time just as our eyes do.

I think it’s a little opposite to us simmers, we spend our time trying to make it look like less of a sim and more real and they are making it look less real and like more of a sim.

Plenty will disagree, but it’s just my thought.

I quite agree.  The cameras and all the technology provides a great supplementary tool, but nothing quite beats the Mark 1,  Mod 0 eyeball.

• Like 1