Frankfurt City Pack Frames !

Hello ,

I have purchased Frankfurt City Pack for my msfs 2020 ! Everything is great except the frames are a bit low !!

I noticed that if you look towards the city i get a frame drop of around 24 frames ! If i look away from the city then my frames goes up to 35 !

Is this normal ? 

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Thank you 

Mike 

11 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

in my own opinion, that is normal.

There is much more detail in the shots with the lower frame rate.

If you were to switch off the intrusive frame rate counter,

I doubt that you could detect the difference in performance.

I have to disagree with you a bit on this one, Nick.  I've noticed the same thing and I'm not a serial complainer.  I have ZERO issues in Paris or London with your scenery and even have a lot of payware airports in the vicinity of each, but in Frankfurt, I'm seeing a dramatic and noticeable stuttering unlike any other area in the sim.  I don't run any framerate counters because I fully understand that simulators aren't shooter games but it is very noticeable for me every time I depart or arrive into EDDF.  This scenery is a hog compared to every other scenery of yours I own (which is a LOT) :).  I was waiting to see if anyone else was seeing it too before I made the case. 

Frankfurt (for me at least) is noticeably worse than London or Los Angeles area (both of which draw ire from many users).  Thanks for anything you can do to look into performance issues/aides.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ar

1 hour ago, DFWSupertrooper said:

I was waiting to see if anyone else was seeing it too before I made the case. 

I don't think many of us have the issue you are facing. Is it possible that you have one of the many freeware Frankfurt addons (from Flightsim.to) installed? Otherwise it seems like a weird anomaly that is going to be hard for Orbx to reproduce. The good news is that the conversion to DirectX12 to allow for the Xbox version of MSFS will allow better utilization of CPU cores. That should help everyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DFWSupertrooper said:

Frankfurt (for me at least) is noticeably worse than London or Los Angeles area (both of which draw ire from many users).  Thanks for anything you can do to look into performance issues/aides.

Strange, I suffer more issues in London than in Frankfurt.

1 hour ago, Seanmo said:

Ar

I don't think many of us have the issue you are facing. Is it possible that you have one of the many freeware Frankfurt addons (from Flightsim.to) installed? Otherwise it seems like a weird anomaly that is going to be hard for Orbx to reproduce. The good news is that the conversion to DirectX12 to allow for the Xbox version of MSFS will allow better utilization of CPU cores. That should help everyone.

@SeanmoI don't have any addons in the Frankfurt area except the Orbx scenery, but if you're not having the same issue, perhaps something local is going on.  This is the first encounter with framerate issues for me.  I'll keep experimenting.  

It is as you can imagine, extremely difficult to assess the cause of an individuals frame rate drop as all settings, hardware and Community addons are unique.

The replies above show some share the issue at  Frankfurt but not London. Others have an issue at London but not Frankfurt. Some have additional addons in the areas others don't. Some have high MSFS settings, others have more moderate settings. Some are running in 4K others in 1920 etc.

So many variables that it is almost impossible to determine the cause of such an issue to only some users.

If there was an issue with the addon itself that would be a different matter and it would be being reported by every customer and would be investigated by Orbx.

I suggest that  MSFS Graphics/Data settings in this case may be contributing to a lower performance issue, and also remember that EDDF Frankfurt airport is an Asobo enhanced airport and will be also detailed and demanding.

• Like 2

I agree with Jon ! 

I have same frame issues with Paris city pack , but not with London , Sydney , Singapore etc... !!

Same settings everywhere !

Maybe because the city is very close to the enhance EDDF Frankfurt airport by Asobo !!

I am glad that i get No stutters :)

Whatever the case , the Scenery is fantastic , well done to the developers !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DFWSupertrooper said:

I have to disagree with you a bit on this one, Nick.  I've noticed the same thing and I'm not a serial complainer.  I have ZERO issues in Paris or London with your scenery and even have a lot of payware airports in the vicinity of each, but in Frankfurt, I'm seeing a dramatic and noticeable stuttering unlike any other area in the sim.  I don't run any framerate counters because I fully understand that simulators aren't shooter games but it is very noticeable for me every time I depart or arrive into EDDF.  This scenery is a hog compared to every other scenery of yours I own (which is a LOT) :).  I was waiting to see if anyone else was seeing it too before I made the case. 

Your issue has actually nothing to do with what the OP is describing. He is wondering why the FPS are higher when flying away from the densely built up area than when flying towards it. He is not referring to stutters.

So Nicks's answer is perfectly right.

Edit

PS: you will also notice differences in FPS in Paris and London depending on the direction you are flying to.

Edited by wolfko

3 hours ago, wolfko said:

Your issue has actually nothing to do with what the OP is describing. He is wondering why the FPS are higher when flying away from the densely built up area than when flying towards it. He is not referring to stutters.

So Nicks's answer is perfectly right.

Edit

PS: you will also notice differences in FPS in Paris and London depending on the direction you are flying to.

Forgive me but your reply and dismissal of my comment is a bit insulting.  I (for whatever reason) am experiencing a noticeable frame rate drop at EDDF (if I had to guess it's around 10-15 FPS based on extensive experience in flight simulation in FSX for around 12 years where FPS were always maxed out).  I've been doing this since MSFS v5.0.  When I said stuttering, this is what I was generally referring to, not any other version of technical stutters that may be discussed in other posts.  I totally understand that the response to the OP was partially correct in that it said one will always have higher frame rates viewing away from scenery versus towards (I'm not a moron - I get that).  With that, I do not disagree.  I'm simply saying I, personally, am also experiencing a frame rate drop at EDDF since installing your scenery.  Because I don't have this issue at any other scenery of yours or anyone else's, and because it began after installing your scenery, I can deduce that something in your scenery is a proximate cause of said drop in FPS. 

I find a few instances where support folks seem to be more interested in being right than actually understanding the potential issue.  I'm sorry to say that this happens in these forums a lot.  I get that most people reporting issues are full of crap and it's more than likely their own setups or something they're not thinking about, and you don't know me to be any different, but I am.  I rarely complain about anything with performance (I'm fairly certain this is in fact my first and I've been using MSFS since day ONE) and I always assume at first that it's me, or my own system, before I chime in on anything.  In this case, I get no issues without your Frankfurt scenery, get issues with it at EDDF, and I don't have similar problems with any other 40+ installed sceneries (from you or others), so I'm pretty safe in saying something isn't working efficiently at Frankfurt.  Maybe it's Asobo's EDDF, I dunno, but something after installing Frankfurt caused performance at EDDF to be troubling. 

Also, your PS regarding general frame rate drops...well DUHHHHH!  But no, I personally don't notice a drop in those areas - that's my entire point!  I don't count FPS.  I fly!  If it looks good, it looks good.  If it's jittery on FPS, it's a problem for flying, which is also in line with what Nick is saying.  Does it drop around complex sceneries?  Of course!  But if it's not noticeable I don't give a frog's fat a$$ about the number.

If I used incorrect terminology when I said stutters, forgive me, but if you read what I said and processed it, you can surely understand that I am discussing drops in FPS (noticeable ones) which is perfectly in line with @mikee's OP.  Nick's dismissal of the guy's OP was not perfectly right - it was partially right.  Neither was your dismissal of my comment, which was completely wrong.  I'll say no more on the subject and assume you guys are going to stand ground on the fact that the scenery is perfect.  It does look stunning, as do all your others I've purchased, but if I can't solve the FPS issue at EDDF, and you guys aren't able to replicate similar issues, I'm going to have to uninstall and just use all my other German airports instead until something changes.

Hello,

please be aware that you are having a discussion with a fellow customer who has his opinion, as do you.

You can see who are Orbx staff and in this case, we are echoing the same advice but also trying to point out that

even in such a small discussion in this topic, there are several different experiences, even though we are

supposedly all using the same files.

I would be delighted to offer you a solution, as would Jon, but we cannot.

I regularly fly online with a friend who has a state of the art PC and a lightning fast internet connection.

He uses no Orbx products and often no addons at all, yet he still experiences "stutters" or sudden drops in frame

rates from time to time, even when there is apparently nothing on the screen to suggest a cause.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 8:01 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

please be aware that you are having a discussion with a fellow customer who has his opinion, as do you.

You can see who are Orbx staff and in this case, we are echoing the same advice but also trying to point out that

even in such a small discussion in this topic, there are several different experiences, even though we are

supposedly all using the same files.

I would be delighted to offer you a solution, as would Jon, but we cannot.

I regularly fly online with a friend who has a state of the art PC and a lightning fast internet connection.

He uses no Orbx products and often no addons at all, yet he still experiences "stutters" or sudden drops in frame

rates from time to time, even when there is apparently nothing on the screen to suggest a cause.

Thanks for taking time to reply Nick.  I know not everything is able to be answered.  You guys do amazing work.  Looking forward to some of your roadmap announcements being done. :D

Hey, guys, wanted to update my personal frame rate situation so any other users could see this.  I believe I know what may be causing my personal issue, and I need to stand corrected on one measure: my frame rate decline is not while flying over the scenery and looking at it as was the OP.  My issue is at EDDF with the scenery added (but not visible necessarily in my screen).  

I have discovered that most Asobo airports are not optimized as well as 3rd party ones (I genuinely get better FPS at 3rd party top-tier airports than Asobo's handcrafted ones (especially Gen 1).  What was happening to me is that your scenery is in close proximity to EDDF (compared to your London/EGLL and your Paris/LFPO), so I think the airport's FPS decline because your scenery is loaded.  Your scenery is not the problem, but merely a catalyst which causes the unoptimized airport to stutter.  Hypothesis anyway.

Once I get a new 3rd party EDDF (which is on the way), I'd lay odds I'll have no more issues in Frankfurt.  Because I have none at JetStream's LFPO, Asobo's EGLL (which is far enough away perhaps), or other 3rd party airports where other top-tier scenery is either (KIAD & KDCA with Washington; KORD with Chicago, etc).

Anyways, your stuff rocks.  Keep it up.  Can't wait for more 3rd party airports which look AND perform better.  Thanks again!!!

• Like 1

I thought that the Asobo EDDF was not helping the situation when  I wrote my post:

"I suggest that  MSFS Graphics/Data settings in this case may be contributing to a lower performance issue, and also remember that EDDF Frankfurt airport is an Asobo enhanced airport and will be also detailed and demanding."

The enhanced airports within MSFS, as you say, are not always optimised to the full.

• Like 1

I have noticed since starting MSFS that there is something wrong with ASOBOS EDDF. If I come from the western direction to EDDF, I lose about 15-20 FPS and that's without Orbx Frankfurt.

I don't have such a situation with any payware airport.

Peter

• Like 1