Been away some time.. How is MSFS coming along since its launch?

shane280172

Hi guys

Ive been awol for some time and have stayed away from simming. When I was last active MSFS was fairly new but had quite some bugs. I currently use P3dv4.  After seeing video and screenshots for MSFS I think I would like to make the move. I am looking at purchasing either a rtx 3080 or 3090 later this year to help. 

What is everyone doing these days withn their platform? Are more people heading over to MSFS?

Take care

• Like 2

I am similar to @BradB above.  Been on MSFS every day from the first Alpha test day!  Totally addicted!  Never been back to my beloved XP, but keeping it a bit longer just in case.  If ever they charge again for XP, I probably will drop it then.  Now even have my beloved Spitfire in MSFS!  Many seem to be having technical problems with MSFS, but I have had hardly any.  I suspect alot of people with MSFS are creating problems for themselves with too many add-ons, software and hardware tinkering etc.  There are certainly bugs in MSFS, but the MS-Adobo team really do seem very, very committed to producing the best Sim ever.  The on-going bug fixing, updates etc is really very impressive.  It is a technological marvel IMHO.  I really was hoping that we would not need so many add-ons with MSFS, but that is turning out to not be the case, so that is great for Orbx and we all love Orbx.  Cheers.

Edited by flsm (Frank)
  • Like 6

I'm with you guys.  I have a more modest GTX 1080 8MB and it runs smooth as silk for me.  Love the updates, challenges, ease of use and visuals of this sim.  Been at it since 1995 too and this is the best I've ever seen.  Still have XP, P3Dv4 and v5 for testing, but prefer the experience I get in MSFS now.  All are good, esp XP and P3D for aircraft simulation, but I've always been a bit of a scenery hog.  B)

• Like 5

A bit different here:

Technically, I have quite a nice experience with MSFS: I installed it on two different PC's, the first one kind of mid-end (I7-7700 CPU @3.60GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1050TI GPU) and the other high-end (I7-9750H CPU @4.50GHz (turbo), 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 GPU), and I can tell it runs perfectly on both, and it looks wonderful just out of the box. 

In theory, MSFS solves all "problems" I had with P3D.
But how it feels is another story. Because in practice, I hardly ever fly with MSFS, and when I do, I always switch back to P3D within a few minutes. 

So, of course MSFS is wonderful, no doubt about that!
But in my case, it turns out that P3D is still my “favourite toy”!

Cheers!

Edited by mfannee
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mfannee said:

But how it feels is another story. Because in practice, I hardly ever fly with MSFS, and when I do, I always switch back to P3D within a few minutes

I’m quite interested to know if this is because there’s things in P3D, we don’t yet have in MSFS, or something else completely?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, mfannee said:

A bit different here:

Technically, I have quite a nice experience with MSFS: I installed it on two different PC's, the first one kind of mid-end (I7-7700 CPU @3.60GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1050TI GPU) and the other high-end (I7-9750H CPU @4.50GHz (turbo), 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 GPU), and I can tell it runs perfectly on both, and it looks wonderful just out of the box. 

In theory, MSFS solves all "problems" I had with P3D.
But how it feels is another story. Because in practice, I hardly ever fly with MSFS, and when I do, I always switch back to P3D within a few minutes. 

So, of course MSFS is wonderful, no doubt about that!
But in my case, it turns out that P3D is still my “favourite toy”!

Cheers!

17 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

I’m quite interested to know if this is because there’s things in P3D, we don’t yet have in MSFS, or something else completely?

Yeah, I also would be interested, why you pefer P3d?

• Like 1

Like Boetie I've uninstalled P3D now. MSFS isn't perfect and many gripe about the flight models, and lack of helicopters and study level airliners, but if you love low and slow GA/Bush flying then MSFS is fantastic, even with the occasional flaws in the scenery.

As regards performance I'm running in High on a 1060 and it works just fine, though I'm having a 3080 system built as VR sucks for me atm. Goodness knows when I'll take delivery though!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have also uninstalled P3Dv5 and X-Plane. Yes, MSFS has some irritating quirks, especially after updates, but all-in-all, I think it's a masterpiece. So much so, that to take full advantage of it, I've upgraded my PC to i7-11700K, 64GB DDR4 3200 RAM, 1x1TB M.2, 1x2TBM.2, and a Gigabyte RTX 3090. It runs very nicely.

• Like 3

initially on release I was disappointed as it still had issues I had found in the BETA, however it is coming along nicely, I move between MSFS, XP & P3D depending on what we are testing at Just Flight, it was the arrow recently in MSFS giving me a lot of time in the sim and enjoying it, currently though testing the 146 in XP....MSFS now for me is very good I actually got time to try the H135 freeware using TrackIR and it was great looking around.....my only little moans about MSFS now are no real traffic yet unless you know better, I would also like built in ATC window to open automatically when they call me like it does in P3D.......eventually more aircraft addons that I like will come over so just need to be patient but all in all my experience with MSFS is now usually a positive one, maybe they could let you avoid the updates once and let it update after you have finished the flight.....

• Like 1

I have uninstalled my P3DV5 last July ! I do miss all of my Addons ( I paid a lot of money ) , but i did not regret it !

The Visuals in Msfs 2020 are simply Amazing ! With my Gtx 1080ti it runs very smooth !

It is the best sim ever (In my Opinion of course ) !!

Now i can fly down town Los Angeles , New York , London , Berlin etc. with frames up to 40 ! In P3dv4 /5 i used to get 18 up to 25max !

Very well done to Microsoft and Asobo team :) I am very satisfied !

I just hope Orbx could convert a lot of their sceneries into msfs !

• Like 3

On 4/24/2021 at 10:31 AM, W2DR said:

It runs just fine on my 1060 Super. Never a VAS problem and smooth flying everywhere I've been...including New York city and London. Ultra settings are no problem at all.

My word , did your comment give me as close to the old "ticker" attack as I have ever experienced :o

A 1060 indeed.... what on earth !

Luckily , I looked at your system specs and read RTX 2060 super - the same as moi . Phew !!!

9700K  and at 1440 p .  Just beautiful with everything on Ultra

Cheers

Pete

Edited by renault

Just as a general comment. 

Overall, I am very pleased with how MS2020 works . It is indeed a work in progress and one just has to accept it for what it is at the moment.

What turned out to be a "natural disaster" for me was related to the Windows Store and the complications this created during the MS2020 update process.

I know my way a bit around computers, and even after several phone conversations with MS support directly, they were unable to come up with either a plausible explanation for why I had the issues I did, or more importantly how to fix them.

I finally decided to write off my investment and repurchase MS2020 from Steam.  This has worked out very well.

We may not fully appreciate how wonderfully designed and functional the Orbx Central store actually is.  I have dreams wishing that MS2020 could be updated through that medium instead.  But it is what it is as they say.

Individual mileage will of course vary and this was just my particular experience.

When MS2020 is running, "I love it to death"  but the update process still fills me with trepidation.

My solution to the problem though is to use Acronis True Image and I keep a backup of my complete current MS2020 installation.

If things go south during the updating process , I just delete the contents of my MS2020 directory , reinstall and redo the update.

Has only happened once, but it was trivial to recover ..... much better than having to reinstall everything from a MS server.

Many people I know,  don't have issues with updating and I didn't for months.   Then one day I did . The MS Store approach seems to me, to be a somewhat convoluted install process .  The steam process simply removes this part of the equation.

Once into MS2020, the update process is the same for every one. 

As I said, I only wish that it could be installed through Orbx Central and then life for me would be good.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by renault
  • Like 1

Hi Pete. Nice to have you back. My experience is that MS2020 was beautiful but frustrating--I could never get the controls to work right.  I went back to P3D4 and am enjoying its smoothness and the variety of planes available.  i will probably try 2020 again as things calm down in that program, but for now...  Again--WELCOME BACK.

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hi Pete. Nice to have you back. My experience is that MS2020 was beautiful but frustrating--I could never get the controls to work right.  I went back to P3D4 and am enjoying its smoothness and the variety of planes available.  i will probably try 2020 again as things calm down in that program, but for now...  Again--WELCOME BACK.

Thanks Rodger :)

I can certainly understand your perspective.

It is reasonably stable now - at least when it goes "wonky" it is usually something that I did, so the solution is reasonable :rolleyes:

Ah, assuming that I can remember what it was I just did ..... :wacko:

I can remember one of my old profs ..... "You can change some of the variables some of the time, but you can't change all of the variables at the same time "

Wiser words have never been spoken:)

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

15 hours ago, renault said:

My word , did your comment give me as close to the old "ticker" attack as I have ever experienced :o

A 1060 indeed.... what on earth !

Luckily , I looked at your system specs and read RTX 2060 super - the same as moi . Phew !!!

9700K  and at 1440 p .  Just beautiful with everything on Ultra

Cheers

Pete

I saw that typo but by then it was to late to edit the post. I really like my 2060 Super. I should have mentioned that it's running at 1920x1200 as that makes a difference in the VAS requirements. But is works for me and didn't cost all that much..........

Edited by W2DR
cant spel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going from FsX to msfs2020 wow. I purchased a new pc ( 3700x rtx2070 super and 32gb ram) just for the release of MSFS probs like alot of people. I have to say wow it's amazing esp compared to the old FSX experience on my pc. I was getting less than 8fps on approach so bad. 

Msfs has alot of wow moments. I havent had many issues, occasionly a CTD but very rare.

Even with the new setup i'm getting 20-30fps in the A320 FBW mod. Would like a few more frames but its mostly CPU limited i guess, like the good old fsx days

• Like 1

There is quite a range of opinions and sometimes vitriol on the official forums which makes me feel how lucky I am that I've had limited problems with MSFS.  I had a couple of CTDs during the beta and performance was not great on glass cockpit planes, so I upgraded my PC ready for release.  Since then I can honestly say that any CTDs have been caused by items in my community folder, usually following a sim update.

The Mooney caused crashed if you clicked on certain controls rather than using the mouse wheel to rotate the button but that was soon fixed, although it should be noted that anything purchased from the internal marketplace seems to take an age to update when patches or new versions are available.  Certainly it makes me glad that I purchased all Orbx and their partner products through Orbx Central.  The amount of bitterness there was over the London Landmarks because an issue with the Marketplace delayed the release of the update.

Mine is a Steam version whereas a friend bought from the MS Store and he has been plagued with problems and regrets buying it from there.  On several occasions the installation has disappeared and he has had to download the whole sim a few times.

I've said elsewhere that X-plane 11 was the first sim that I actually played for any length of time but that was only after I messed around with first Ortho4XP and then eventually spending £90 on the Orbx TE GB packs. After that I was hooked and spent even more money on airports, planes, weather upgrades, weather injectors, graphics reshaders and eventually a bigger SSD to store all that. 

At the moment MSFS is meeting all my sim needs, there is the whole world on download (still need some Orbx love) but saves you so much drive space.  The lighting, colours and clouds can be stunning sometimes and my system with its 1080ti runs a mixture of Ultra and High.  In VR I drop the detail but it is still jaw dropping.

Currently I'm eagerly awaiting the Northern England regional pack from Orbx as I want the area I mainly fly in to be as good as the Orbx TE series was for me.  But otherwise I'm enjoying every flight, every new vista and currently cannot see myself going back to X-Plane 11.  Now X-plane-12 we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1