What we're working on - Orbx 2021 Roadmap

So ... whatever happened to the OpenLC product line? PPL stuck with 3 continents. All the promises made? Instead we're porting scenery to MSFS which doesn't even need it. Can't imaging need/paying for airports or land class scenery when it's about as real as it gets. It's true, I don't have to get it, but other platforms are kinda suffering.

Anything besides a couple of airports for P3D? True earth is nice, but can't hold 3TB of data covering two states for $50 a pop. and $2600 for all 52 isn't a deal.

Is P3D and XPL now on a slow ring?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, AAN1718A said:

So ... whatever happened to the OpenLC product line? PPL stuck with 3 continents. All the promises made? Instead we're porting scenery to MSFS which doesn't even need it. Can't imaging need/paying for airports or land class scenery when it's about as real as it gets. It's true, I don't have to get it, but other platforms are kinda suffering.

Anything besides a couple of airports for P3D? True earth is nice, but can't hold 3TB of data covering two states for $50 a pop. and $2600 for all 52 isn't a deal.

Is P3D and XPL now on a slow ring?

Michael

Firstly this list isn't inclusive of every 2021 Orbx release, however if you do some research around the forum, you will see OpenLC Asia is still in development and announcements will be made when needed, this is as of July 16, "The development of openLC Asia continues and as soon as it is ready for release, it will be released."

Instead we're porting scenery to MSFS which doesn't even need it. Can't imaging need/paying for airports or land class scenery when it's about as real as it gets.

I guess you've never seen or used MSFS? As this statement is completely wrong. It's only realistic in terms of the landclass, hence OpenLC etc isn't needed, but the landmark packs make a nice upgrade...also not needing to buy airports? It's impossible for a sim to release with highly accurate airports for every airport so yes airports are needed

Edited by EasternT3
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All the promises made? 

The article starts with:

Now - we know in flight sim (and in life!) things can change fast, so we reserve the right to modify the list and the sequence, 

The developers are all doing their very best, after all, why would they do otherwise?

Some of the products take a very long time to complete, because they are huge or complex and because their developers want them to be as near to perfect as is possible before they are released.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On 8/21/2021 at 1:38 PM, manuelB said:

Me too !
This year I am a little disappointed with Orbx choose, that it does not convert more existing airports ! The existing airports for P3D are always already very good, we do not ask for more ! I would also like to be able to use them again under MSFS !

I agree that Orbx airports for p3d are good. But for most of them it isn't just a port and sell approach. Most of their bestsellers are outdated and proper work is required for MSFS to make them an accurate quality product worth selling in 2021. I think also a lot of the original developers are not in Orbx anymore....

In the mean time they are still porting some of their oldies, and have partnered with heaps of studios lately to give us quite a nice list of new scenery for MSFS... And it costs half the price of a p3d scenery, really enjoying that bit about MSFS :)

This is a new platform, Dont expect to see the same developers doing all the same again. Already there are some newcomers, some coming from other sims doing some great stuff even if it isnt sold on Orbxdirect. Some have even made a better scenery than what is available for p3d by Orbx. Ketchikan is an example. (Not bashing on Orbx PAKT at all, the time and technology were different for a complex airport design)

Give me a "Bryce Canyon" anyday against a newly developped Ketchikan ;)

Enjoy the fun times ahead!

Edited by merlinux
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, merlinux said:

I agree that Orbx airports for p3d are good. But for most of them it isn't just a port and sell approach. Most of their bestsellers are outdated and proper work is required for MSFS to make them an accurate quality product worth selling in 2021. I think also a lot of the original developers are not in Orbx anymore "...."

I see some publishers just converting their P3D products, and it work well for them ! Now if some they are no longer with Orbx, yes, that's a problem !!!
And I, while waiting for something better, I am also very happy with a simple conversion, even if obsolete, that nothing at all on my favorite airports ! Waiting for to  better (  maybe a long time ) ! 

On 8/26/2021 at 4:48 PM, manuelB said:

I see some publishers just converting their P3D products, and it work well for them ! Now if some they are no longer with Orbx, yes, that's a problem !!!
And I, while waiting for something better, I am also very happy with a simple conversion, even if obsolete, that nothing at all on my favorite airports ! Waiting for to  better (  maybe a long time ) ! 

And speaking about PAKT Orbx just released it for MSFS today :D

Not sure how it olds up against the NSS version; Anyone?

11 minutes ago, merlinux said:

And speaking about PAKT Orbx just released it for MSFS today :D

Not sure how it olds up against the NSS version; Anyone?

It is an absolute No Go to talk about other developer's products here in the Orbx forums.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2021 at 10:11 PM, wolfko said:

It is an absolute No Go to talk about other developer's products here in the Orbx forums.

Thanking you for letting me know but it is a weird situation in not being able to ask about an Orbx product against a 3rd party about an airport who has been accepted by the community recently. You hear me all RTMM users...

Anyway I love Orbx and I have spent a lot more than a grand on their products along the years. I am not complaining as I know I can always accomplish that in other forums. But I have always liked these forums ;)

Edited by merlinux
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Team

I think, maybe its a totally stupid question....but to ask is better than not to ask.

I have purchased now a lot of Orbx airports and sceneries...and I'm sure that will be not all.

Just some small questions / suggestions:

How about a "country / continent package"? For me as a VFR "Pilot" (in VR with the HP Reverb G2) I have different places in Europe (all Denmark airports, some Germany ones), Singapore (my current hometown), some from Australia, New Zealand. And also all available mesh (NZ, Alaska, Iceland) I am very interested to have some countries complete with ALL what is available. Especially for places I have been previously. Not only airports, also scenery updates, landmarks, etc. So (for me) it would be great, if in case of completing e.g. Oceania, that Orbx central would "see" the previous purchases and give some discount as "a good customer".

2nd question: Are there plans for Airports as WMKK (Kuala Lumpur), VTBS (Bangkok) and/or scenery updates like "Great Britain Central" (will this great add-on added with more content to cover the whole island?)

I hope to get an answer soon. Thank for for your help

Best regards from Singapore,

Lutz

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aloha Orbx, I was just inquiring if there's any news for an upcoming Honolulu scenery? I see that it is part of your road map 2021. also will this eventually be on xbox? would be great to see your amazing product here in hawaii where I live, for there is no hawaii/Honoulu scenery for xbox users. mahalo and good day

Edited by isaiahsnyc
spell check
  • Upvote 1

In FS9 I was excited that an Australian company was doing scenery for Flight Sim players of Australia and the rest of the world, so I started collecting the VOZ scenery.

In FSX and P3D Orbx continued this stellar work in the Australian, US and United Kingdom airports and region packs, so I continued to purchase more of these because they were so much better than most of their competition.

BUT,  with the advent of MSFS they have started to concentrate on scenery for Europe to the detriment of Oceania and the Americas. And lets not forget that there is still Africa, South East Asia, China, Russia, India, the Middle East and South America.

If only Orbx could stop aspiring to be a commercial re-seller of other companies products and get back to developing their own airport scenery, and preferably scenery in regions that no-one else is also doing.

Get back to converting previous FSX/P3D scenery and port them over to MSFS.

Continue new airports in Australia NZ and the US.

Continue medium to major airports up through the Indo-Asia Pacific.

Spread around the Carribean

Maybe even dabble a bit into the African North.

Just my "two cents worth"

• Like 3

I'll insert my "tuppence" worth !

To an extent I agree on porting over the FSX/P3D scenery products, as I too have quite a lot of OZ, NA & European items for FSX/P3D that are sadly not yet available for MSFS.

Also, I prefer to buy Orbx items but Central does not make this very easy.  Orbx "Partners" have a separate entry which filters their items but the Orbx products are lumped together with everything else.  A separate Orbx filter would be more than just useful.

Nevertheless, I avidly look forward to what is coming on the roadmap.  Keep it up Orbx, even if it is not doing the bank balance any good!!!.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lance Arnold said:

In FS9 I was excited that an Australian company was doing scenery for Flight Sim players of Australia and the rest of the world, so I started collecting the VOZ scenery.

In FSX and P3D Orbx continued this stellar work in the Australian, US and United Kingdom airports and region packs, so I continued to purchase more of these because they were so much better than most of their competition.

BUT,  with the advent of MSFS they have started to concentrate on scenery for Europe to the detriment of Oceania and the Americas. And lets not forget that there is still Africa, South East Asia, China, Russia, India, the Middle East and South America.

If only Orbx could stop aspiring to be a commercial re-seller of other companies products and get back to developing their own airport scenery, and preferably scenery in regions that no-one else is also doing.

Get back to converting previous FSX/P3D scenery and port them over to MSFS.

Continue new airports in Australia NZ and the US.

Continue medium to major airports up through the Indo-Asia Pacific.

Spread around the Carribean

Maybe even dabble a bit into the African North.

Just my "two cents worth"

Yes yes and yes.

• Like 2

My concern regarding Orbx continuing to develop more airports in Europe and disregarding their original core locations, I have to re-assess why I stick with Orbx as my ''sole'' company to buy airports. I may as well go to another developer who may actually create the airports that I am seeking and support them.

I have stayed with Orbx because of their quality and they were doing airports in my back yard ( which no-one else was doing), but if that is no longer the case then I may have to move on if someone else is doing those airports...

And what happened to YPPH Perth ?         And please don't say ''Axonos has done that''

as a side note : all but 1 of the airports I have ever bought for FSX, P3D and MSFS have come from Orbx

Edited by Lance Arnold
added more comment
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lance Arnold said:

And what happened to YPPH Perth ?         And please don't say ''Axonos has done that''

Fine.  MSFG has done that.

To be honest, it's rare that I need to select scenery by developer.  I like Orbx, they were the first add ons I bought, but to get global coverage it's best for developers to work on different projects.  We've seen this in Sydney where Orbx didn't do YSSY, leaving it to flyTampa, but they're working on the Cityscape.  Reverse, they did a CityScape for Honolulu but didn't do PHNL, that's done by FSDT.

There are decent sceneries for every major Australian airport, but not all are offered by Orbx.  It doesn't make business sense for them to compete with other developers - and we lose out if they do.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Justin Thomas said:

Fine.  MSFG has done that.

To be honest, it's rare that I need to select scenery by developer.  I like Orbx, they were the first add ons I bought, but to get global coverage it's best for developers to work on different projects.  We've seen this in Sydney where Orbx didn't do YSSY, leaving it to flyTampa, but they're working on the Cityscape.  Reverse, they did a CityScape for Honolulu but didn't do PHNL, that's done by FSDT.

There are decent sceneries for every major Australian airport, but not all are offered by Orbx.  It doesn't make business sense for them to compete with other developers - and we lose out if they do.  

I wasnt going to respond to this, but MSFG YPPH.  really.  have you seen any images of this FSX  conversion over to MSFS.  Both the MSFG and Axonos version's are not up to the standard we have come to expect and admire from Orbx airports..

And as I said in my initial statement, if Orbx is not going to do the airports I desire, then I shall find a developer who will...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lance Arnold said:

I wasnt going to respond to this, but MSFG YPPH.  really.  have you seen any images of this FSX  conversion over to MSFS.  Both the MSFG and Axonos version's are not up to the standard we have come to expect and admire from Orbx airports..

And as I said in my initial statement, if Orbx is not going to do the airports I desire, then I shall find a developer who will...

I think, if there are already Axonos

and MSFG versions of YPPH available, you will wait in vain for a third developer doing the same airport again.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lance Arnold said:

That's the idea. I'm not sure many people are loyal to a single developer and refuse to use anything from anyone else. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Justin Thomas said:

That's the idea. I'm not sure many people are loyal to a single developer and refuse to use anything from anyone else. 

And there in lies my dilemma, Loyalty is huge for me, as in life and as in gaming. And if I leave and look elsewhere, I end up becoming just one of the 'herd'. And that is not me.

And this is the last I shall say on this matter..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

I think, if there are already Axonos

and MSFG versions of YPPH available, you will wait in vain for a third developer doing the same airport again.

Wolfgang is correct and this is the issue we get within the community which is everyone will want there favourite developer to develop the aircraft/airport they want and people are always disappointed when a developer goes down a different path, the other issue we have is if the same airport/aircraft is developed multiple times a large part of the community will go, why have we got 2/3 YPPH’s but 0 YMML’s for example. It’s a lose lose situation.

As for @Lance Arnoldasking Orbx to return to their core locations, from a Australia (and NZ) POV we will probably see the entire country covered within a couple of years but probably mainly from Orbx Partners (who are doing a great job), also Lance whilst many developers will take suggestions for future airports, you’ll be hard pressed to find a developer to accept your suggestion, unless it’s 100% in keeping with what they want (i.e would NZA develop outside of Oceania?) or you go to them with a blank check book ;) 

Hopefully Orbx and partner developers read this thread (and other developers read their respective communication channels) to get an idea of airports we would like to see, for example, I would like to see all commercial airports in the UK, Australia and NZ in MSFS but at the same time I would love the major airports in Asia/Africa to fly elsewhere I haven’t flow before, but ultimately people will be disappointed because developers can’t do everything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just putting this out there!

As a suggestion can I put forwarded the idea that Orbx look at KJFK "John F Kennedy" and EGLL "London Heathrow" with offering of improved option/version than the current MSFS versions seeing as DC Designs Concorde will eventually hit the market at some point in the near future and these two airports would probably be the most used for this addition to the MSFS fleet or maybe something different on release with a special add on that allows people to compete against the record flight with original setup, livery and documentation about the flight with both airports as alternative and maybe with countdown timer for overall grade score which appears onscreen for the overall flight in accuracy just add some completeness otherwise it would be too easy lol. I'm sure "Concorde Heritage" would love this as it generates interest in a much missed item from our sky's ;) 

Edited by ianlighting
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, EasternT3 said:

Wolfgang is correct and this is the issue we get within the community which is everyone will want there favourite developer to develop the aircraft/airport they want and people are always disappointed when a developer goes down a different path, the other issue we have is if the same airport/aircraft is developed multiple times a large part of the community will go, why have we got 2/3 YPPH’s but 0 YMML’s for example. It’s a lose lose situation.

As for @Lance Arnoldasking Orbx to return to their core locations, from a Australia (and NZ) POV we will probably see the entire country covered within a couple of years but probably mainly from Orbx Partners (who are doing a great job), also Lance whilst many developers will take suggestions for future airports, you’ll be hard pressed to find a developer to accept your suggestion, unless it’s 100% in keeping with what they want (i.e would NZA develop outside of Oceania?) or you go to them with a blank check book ;) 

Hopefully Orbx and partner developers read this thread (and other developers read their respective communication channels) to get an idea of airports we would like to see, for example, I would like to see all commercial airports in the UK, Australia and NZ in MSFS but at the same time I would love the major airports in Asia/Africa to fly elsewhere I haven’t flow before, but ultimately people will be disappointed because developers can’t do everything.

Orbx should move to the Nordics as it seems that is their true love these days, weird little Nordic airports.

6 hours ago, Mawson said:

Orbx should move to the Nordics as it seems that is their true love these days, weird little Nordic airports.

I'd disagree in terms of, Sandane, Hammerfest, Notodden and Sogndal Haukasen were all available back in FSX, but you're acting like they have only started creating these for MSFS?

2 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

I'd disagree in terms of, Sandane, Hammerfest, Notodden and Sogndal Haukasen were all available back in FSX, but you're acting like they have only started creating these for MSFS?

I would like to see more of NZ and Australia converted from P3d in the short term as Asobo certainly are not putting much love into the Southern hemisphere.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mawson said:

I would like to see more of NZ and Australia converted from P3d in the short term as Asobo certainly are not putting much love into the Southern hemisphere.

I do get what you mean, behind my native UK, Aus/NZ is the second place I want airports for, my only thought which I mentioned else where but I hope I'm wrong, is a lot of Orbx's own Aus/NZ airports are some of the older products in Orbx's catalogue are therefore a 'conversion' probably isn't as straight forward and these airports like YMML possibly require being built from scratch which will obviously take longer.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EasternT3 said:

my only thought which I mentioned else where but I hope I'm wrong, is a lot of Orbx's own Aus/NZ airports are some of the older products in Orbx's catalogue are therefore a 'conversion' probably isn't as straight forward and these airports like YMML possibly require being built from scratch which will obviously take longer.

Plus, I am under the impression several of the developers of these older airports left Orbx. There are some new devs, but these may set other priorities, and as far as I understand, airports are largely a choice of the developers.

Besides, there are a few very talented new non-Orbx devs at work for NZ/AUS.

Kind regards, Michael

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, pmb said:

Plus, I am under the impression several of the developers of these older airports left Orbx. There are some new devs, but these may set other priorities, and as far as I understand, airports are largely a choice of the developers.

Kind regards, Michael

Ah yes I forgot to make the point about partners, I wouldn't be surprised if between them they'll cover all airports in AUS/NZ soon and maybe branch into Oceania further like Pago Pago, Port Moresby and others

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Orbx and Partners are in frequent discussions about roadmaps so they limit any crossovers

Edited by EasternT3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

I see a few on the freeware to pages - in fact somewhere around 30 at the last count - even little Inverloch in Victoria-

and one I got leaves the Gold coast default way behind - and admitted by the developer that he could use a little help    ------ ED C ????

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

I see a few on the freeware to pages - in fact somewhere around 30 at the last count - even little Inverloch in Victoria-

and one I got leaves the Gold coast default way behind - and admitted by the developer that he could use a little help    ------ ED C ????

Given they are Orbx partners, it's certainly allowed to mention NZA Simulations and AUscene as outstanding Payware/Freeware developers.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

I do get what you mean, behind my native UK, Aus/NZ is the second place I want airports for, my only thought which I mentioned else where but I hope I'm wrong, is a lot of Orbx's own Aus/NZ airports are some of the older products in Orbx's catalogue are therefore a 'conversion' probably isn't as straight forward and these airports like YMML possibly require being built from scratch which will obviously take longer.

Yes you are probably spot on there! The Uk is my second home for flying :D

• Like 1