What we're working on - Orbx 2021 Roadmap

On 4/6/2021 at 9:03 PM, futurebreadmachine said:

In case you didnt knew, there is another different dev working on YPPH already. Might not be Orbx, but at least one is being made. More about it here... https://fselite.net/news/axonos-announces-perth-airport-for-msfs/

Just checked their Facebook, (sorry Orbx) Axonos expect a release date announcement in the next couple of weeks.

This will do untill Orbx do one... Because I prefer to have the Orbx sceneries.

1 hour ago, Lance Arnold said:

Just checked their Facebook, (sorry Orbx) Axonos expect a release date announcement in the next couple of weeks.

This will do untill Orbx do one... Because I prefer to have the Orbx sceneries.

Please read posts #5 and #7 in this thread:

I am still flying P3D (v5) since I have a professional grade single-seat, fixed-base 737-800  simulator and it will be some time before the MSFS SDK reaches a level where it will be able to support this level of hardware and avionics software. Looking forward to the Palm Beach Florida release for P3D.  There has never been a decent version of this major tourist destination airport for any of the simulator platforms.

My other suggestion is an update for KEGE (Eagle Vail Regional), which underwent a major revision of the terminal last year and is arguably the most challenging airport in North America for jetliners to fly in and out of.  Delta has their own FAA approved custom approach for this airport (brings you in further west of Kremmling  (RLG) and closer to the airport with a lower decision height than the classic LDA25 approach).

You also have never done a regional scenery package for this spectacular south central area in the heart of the Rockies. Time for an addition to your Rocky Mountain scenery set!

Keep up the fantastic work! Orbx is awesome! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, AnthonyS said:

Was reading on FSElite that someone is doing a free YBCG-Gold Coast for XP11.

I’d love to see YBCG and an updated YMML for MSFS.

If it's as good as the current Orbx Gold Coast  - that will be nice ++++1

But - and don't forget the Gold Coast Cityscape upgrade --- MSFS is 8 years old

Edited by John Heaton

12 hours ago, AnthonyS said:

Was reading on FSElite that someone is doing a free YBCG-Gold Coast for XP11.

I’d love to see YBCG and an updated YMML for MSFS.

Unlikely to see anything developed for Melbourne area until a lagging problem in the default is resolved.  

The problem has come to light in testing. To test for yourself, take a GA flight from say YMEN over the CBD to Moorabbin and a bit further, and then return towards YMEN and YML. We've been getting long lags and pauses, my last flight I had 2-3 second lags down past Moorabbin and up to 8-10 seconds approaching YMEN, in default MSFS scenery. 

21 hours ago, John Dow said:

Unlikely to see anything developed for Melbourne area until a lagging problem in the default is resolved.  

The problem has come to light in testing. To test for yourself, take a GA flight from say YMEN over the CBD to Moorabbin and a bit further, and then return towards YMEN and YML. We've been getting long lags and pauses, my last flight I had 2-3 second lags down past Moorabbin and up to 8-10 seconds approaching YMEN, in default MSFS scenery. 

Howcome Orbx are working on YMEN for the 100th aniversary if there are issues with frames around the area. Can't say i have encountered this issue. 

I will have to give that GA test flight a go and see what you are talking about

Can someone from Orbx comment on when we can expect the YBBN release for MSFS?  Initially we were told it was expected in April, but April is almost over, and there's been no mention of what's going on, or any mention in the roadmap.  Has it been ditched?  Delayed?  Any news is better than keeping us wondering.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, gleff said:

Can someone from Orbx comment on when we can expect the YBBN release for MSFS?  Initially we were told it was expected in April, but April is almost over, and there's been no mention of what's going on, or any mention in the roadmap.  Has it been ditched?  Delayed?  Any news is better than keeping us wondering.

Thanks

Should be in testing this week.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2021 at 1:43 PM, John Dow said:

For me the secret is to remember it's a flight sim, not an architectural sim, and although building detail is important it shouldn't be the be all and end all of the flying experience.

Well, I'm not personally convinced this is completely true. There is really no need for the level of detail provided in the basic sim if they only ever planned it to be a pure flight simulator. It is really a world simulator, and currently we just fly in it. I would not be surprised to see other aspects (trains/ships/boats) being catered for in the sim in future, in a much more integrated fashion than the currently available addons.

If you are flying around in this sim in something like the spendid H135, then building detail is a primary part of the experience.

I may be a bit more extreme than most folk in my preference for scenery and low'n'slow flying (as far as I'm concerned you could remove all the big tin from the sim and I probably wouldn't notice), but I suspect there are a very large number of folks who use this sim in a very similar way - way more than in the other sims.

Plus, I've just been looking at the announcement shots for Shoreham and  Elstree and they do have nicely weathered and decayed textures to some of the buildings, so the techniques are obviously available.

Like I've said before, I'll keep on buying the stuff - this is not me having a hissy fit - but I will always be pushing for what I know you folks are capable of, and I don't feel Orbx is always achieving that with the city packs.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Well, I'm not personally convinced this is completely true. There is really no need for the level of detail provided in the basic sim if they only ever planned it to be a pure flight simulator. It is really a world simulator, and currently we just fly in it. I would not be surprised to see other aspects (trains/ships/boats) being catered for in the sim in future, in a much more integrated fashion than the currently available addons.

If you are flying around in this sim in something like the spendid H135, then building detail is a primary part of the experience.

I may be a bit more extreme than most folk in my preference for scenery and low'n'slow flying (as far as I'm concerned you could remove all the big tin from the sim and I probably wouldn't notice), but I suspect there are a very large number of folks who use this sim in a very similar way - way more than in the other sims.

Plus, I've just been looking at the announcement shots for Shoreham and  Elstree and they do have nicely weathered and decayed textures to some of the buildings, so the techniques are obviously available.

Like I've said before, I'll keep on buying the stuff - this is not me having a hissy fit - but I will always be pushing for what I know you folks are capable of, and I don't feel Orbx is always achieving that with the city packs.

+1 - Looking forward to the regional packs too . :):)

The regional packs, especially those for XP11, are what got them here.  A lot of quick and easy money in the city packs and airports but the regional packs are their cornerstone and, at the risk of repeating myself, they look best in XP11.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/21/2021 at 2:34 PM, John Dow said:

And this is why I NEVER fly around Melbourne.

I never have lag problems whenever I fly the FIFO miners route for their new rotation.

Perth - Mount Magnet - Meekatharra - Bronzewing

Now, if you can put these airports on the long term roadmap, that would be just fandiddlytastic!

:D

P.S.  Great work on the roadmap guys   

Edited by Lance Arnold
misspelling

On 4/8/2021 at 11:06 AM, Justin Snapp said:

But there is a decent KBUR within X-Plane already,

The KBUR in X-Plane isn't as nice the one plan for Orbx along with extra POI that didn't come in the TE SC. But I agree other airport you mention would be a hit.

On 4/18/2021 at 12:53 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

At the moment, this is not possible as far as the orthoimagery is concerned. While the SDK does allow us to compile custom orthoimagery -- some of our MSFS airports and landmarks city packs include it -- there are several hard...

I wonder how the guys from Island Creations managed to do that, which meanwhile replaces the default MSFS ground textures of these islands?

Hi there,

it's possible to create very large ortho CGL files as long as they don't cross one of those grid cell boundaries I mentioned, in which case they would need to subdivide the product into separate layers. When covering relatively small islands, the likelihood of crossing grid cells is, of course, smaller. In any case, the developers won't be able to sell these on the MS Marketplace, at least as long as MS has that 4GB cap for any single file in a package.

Note also the product sizes for their higher-resolution (probably 60-100cm) version: ~20GB just for the 850 sq km of Lanzarote! Ortho coverage for New Zealand, for example, would require more than 300 times that :o

Cheers, Holger

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/12/2021 at 5:46 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

it's possible to create very large ortho CGL files as long as they don't cross one of those grid cell boundaries I mentioned....

Okay, that makes sense. But it looks incredibly good! Thanks for your answer.

Cheers

Loisl

11 hours ago, Ticker7 said:

This may be a Long shot but are you planning to do a cityscape/Airport of Perth - YPPH for MSFS?

You will find an answer regarding YPPH airport in post #7 of this thread:

Edited by wolfko

Is there a specific topic we can upvote on the msfs forum bug page to have some more attention to YMML surrounding areas? 

Me with 100's of others would really love this to be addressed sooner rather than later 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 3:45 PM, Orbx said:

Hi everyone,

We realise we have not announced any product roadmap for a while, mostly due to putting efforts on planning around the release of Microsoft Flight Simulator and understanding what was possible. After a few months, and a few more products, we feel now it’s a good time to draw up a list of products which we are planning to release in the next little while. 

Now - we know in flight sim (and in life!) things can change fast, so we reserve the right to modify the list and the sequence, so best to keep checking our “coming soon” page to be up to date with what is coming next.

First of all, here are some of the Landmarks City Packs we have lined up for development in MSFS:

• Auckland, New Zealand
  • Cape Town, South Africa
  • Cairo, Egypt
  • Dubai, UAE
  • Dublin, Ireland
  • Frankfurt, Germany
  • Honolulu, Oahu, USA
  • Melbourne, Australia
  • Mumbai, India
  • Panama Canal and Panama City
  • Yokohama, Japan
  • ....and Cityscape Sydney for P3D!

2-e38d8e658d58b3599781f65aad757612.jpg

2-b6a23a2d4c9a127084bd5ae328bed4e6.jpg

2-ac345b2820697c09cd0a781f0552b22f.jpg

2-84c3ac59cfaa4b32f232947682dd5f7c.jpg

2-06bb2a51e20e4a97a1961924e7e93b9d.jpg

2-c9a8f5a7618ea6021c0d99771c6da2b4.jpg

2-8aacc314d486f59102b07988ca2b7eb0.jpg

2-2a893b75d4485e2ff0634549a4b36158.jpg

2-c71836665b93e2c88d98b9a76f004789.jpg

2-b5bf6013a16ba0cd0e1a5779ef67384e.jpg

2-400c4399c3c52d262eb919002d0867f7.jpg

2-2b687296f6a053aa28b5aa0628d5ac12.jpg

2-1b5f56d7a677f4b5673cefb3668efaa6.jpg

Then a few Regional Packs, also for MSFS:

• Canary Islands
  • Northern England
  • Scotland

A couple of very neat regions are planned for X-Plane 11 and Prepar3D, with the spectacular TrueEarth Eastern Alps (P3D) and TrueEarth Southern Spain (XP11), and you already know about openLC Asia.

2-9308cd12bbe085acfb157e31ded80d95.jpg

2-02d17a27716a4623262ae43a80cee701.jpg

Regarding airports, we have a bit of a mix between P3D and MSFS, but we are also looking at a number of refreshed airports for XP11. These below are the ones in production:

• KBOI Boise International (P3D)
  • KBUR Hollywood Burbank (XPL)
  • KCRW Chuck Yeager (MSFS)
  • KPBI Palm Beach (P3D & MSFS)
  • LDSP Split Airport (P3D & MSFS)
  • LIEO Olbia (XPL)
  • LKPR Prague (P3D & MSFS)
  • VTSP Phuket International (P3D)

And from our Indies, we have the following that are in deep development:

• KAVX Catalina for MSFS (Ken & Tim)
  • ENTO Torp for P3D (Finn)
  • KVNY Van Nuys for P3D & MSFS (Matteo)
  • LIPH Treviso for MSFS (Matteo)
  • SBSP São Paulo for MSFS (Matteo)
  • ESSB Stockholm Bromma for MSFS & P3D (Marcus)

On top of these, our Australian HQ airport, YMEN, will be launched on MSFS, P3D and XP11 at the same time. Essendon Fields is celebrating 100 years of operation, and we are working closely with Essendon Fields management and airport operations to bring you this airport in its full glory, with max details and true to life buildings. We are rather excited by this (very excited as a matter of fact!), and we hope you will all come and visit. ;-)

2-6933ac4d2be19a4538b1cf10f6fbbc7b.jpg

2-4bb354ee702cbda5cad8f41b1c49a2af.jpg

2-2efd3181f263d71bb8fa90000235abc2.jpg

2-96319da5dbc9b259e0ea7df2828667c5.jpg

2-f09367a59c817c3e7ab301396eae37f4.jpg

2-381e2685f6cde2dfd771ce69114e06bb.jpg

2-91329ef2f9e5c0166c442a9b2111fb05.jpg

In some really new news, we will be soon releasing our very first aircraft for MSFS - the Edgley Optica. 

The aircraft was designed for low speed observation work with a loiter time of around 7 hours, intended to rival helicopters.
The bubble canopy provides an amazing 270 degrees panoramic vision and almost vertical downward vision, which is perfect for enjoying Orbx scenery all around.

A total of 22 aircraft were manufactured over the years and some are still operational in countries across the globe.

Our version has been lovingly crafted with a high attention to detail and will come with some representation of real world skins including some of our own favourite custom designs.

We are sure you will love flying this aircraft in MSFS as much as our team has.

2-951336db3383d903754c77b263af3fe9.jpg

2-ca5d4b6e07e0321ef679ece8b0f9ee6f.jpg

2-8a0c35e4a08193a4a5199a4baa941785.jpg

2-27c715c8289fe6ffb64ac431f286c6e6.jpg

2-c6a04f8b0607877ccf61d6f481f6de82.jpg

2-d0c9e4fe7a0671da518f48a51dab194c.jpg

2-4b075d1817b9fa04a7e4cc3131da0f09.jpg

Well! That is a bit of a list which will keep us busy for the next few months…  We are leaving this post open for comments. Happy to get your feedback and future requests!

As always yours in flying,
The Orbx Team

Mumbai 

• Sad 1