TE Canary Islands: Colour intensity

raba

Hello to the Orbx development team,

recently, I bought the Orbx TE Canary Islands, among other sceneries and airports. Like other Orbx products I know, it's very, very well done and I'm glad I bought it.

I'd have one wish, though: The colours in the Teide area of Tenerife, on the southeast slope, until right down into the crater ("caldera"), are kind of flat. I've been there for several times (irl) and in reality the yellowish, brownish, and reddish colours are gorgeously bright and intense there. On Google Maps (and probably other satellite imagery) this is not at all sufficiently depicted, and I guess that's why it isn't with the Orbx textures, either.

To illustrate what I mean I attach a few photographs of mine.

Generally I am a proponent of natural colors much rather than of artificially intensified colors; on the contrary, I find the latter practice, increasingly found in a lot of current landscape films, pretty much counterproductive. But in this special case, the colours are a lot more intense in reality than on the satellite images, and therefore: Could you please edit the colours in that area, i. e. intensify them quite a lot? This would greatly contribute to enhanced realism, i. e. to an even better visual impression.

I'd very much appreciate that!

Alternatively, I'd gladly offer my collaboration; I could create and provide an edited version of the respective texture files as a proposal which, if approved of, could be made available as an optional patch.

IMG_2302__.jpg

IMG_2286__.jpg

IMG_2298__.jpg

IMG_1584__.jpg

IMG_1591__.jpg

8 hours ago, raba said:

Could you please edit the colours in that area, i. e. intensify them quite a lot? This would greatly contribute to enhanced realism, i. e. to an even better visual impression.

We already do this, and it has mixed results. Many complain it's too colorful, or not correct. It's impossible for us to get a balance that pleases everyone. 

If you check satellite footage of Tenerife (and I've also been here many times in real life), you'll notice it looks oddly quite green. If you look at ground level photos it's often more red/orange and desert looking. We only have aerial/satellite imagery to work with and most of the imagery we have used is taken from planes flying at 10,000ft and all we did was enhance the saturation so it stands out more in X-Plane.

The issue we have is that we're using orthos.... it's a snapshot in time and doesn't react or care about the season, time of day and other factors. It's a limitation of today's tech and even MFS suffers and until we can get smart AI to change this, it's sadly is what it is.. But do I think we'll get there, yes!!! 

Archived