How to resolve P3D5.1 Orbx SCA KIFP (Bullhead City) elevation issue ?

Hi Nick - Need your advice on resolving an Orbx SCA KIFP elevation issue I've encountered under P3D5.1.  Runways/ramps and some scenery float above the terrain.  

KIFP has an elevation adjustment; on my P3D5.1 system it's in X:\Orbx Library\p3dv5\NA Southern California\Scenery\World\scenery\ADE_FTX_SCA_KIFP_elevation_adjustment.bgl, among the Orbx NA Southern California Elevation Stubs down near the bottom  (#305 or 309) of my scenery library priority, among all the other stubs for my Orbx scenery

The P3D5.1 base for KIFP is in C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Scenery\0202\scenery\APX17190.bgl.   

It's #202 in my P3D5 scenery library, among all the other P3D5 base scenery

The SCA KIFP SCA scenery is in X:\Orbx Library\p3dv5\NA Southern California\Orbx\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_SCA05_SCENERY\scenery\ADE_FTX_SCA_KIFP.bgl, and is #114 in my scenery library, alongside my dozen other Orbx regions.

So all the  parts for KIFP seem present.  The Orbx stubs should be below all the P3D numbered base scenery in the library, right ? 

My other similarly ordered Orbx airports in the SCA region - like KEED, or KRAL or KSBD - that carry elevation stubs don't display any elevation issues.

Couldn't find other reports about KIFP elevation on the forum. 

So I'm puzzled.   What could it be about my KIFP files or installation that is isn't right ?

Chuck O

Hi Nick - Thanks for having a look.

No, this one reminded me of the uncorrected AEC problems we used to see in P3D4,  with ramps, taxiways and runways at one elevation and the taxiway signs, buildings, tower, etc at another.  Looks like an elevation difference of a 80-100 feet.....  See the two screen shots attached.

I notice the P3D base file is APX17190 dated 2/6/2020.  Most of the other files in the 0202 base folder have same date, soI assume are from P3D5.0 . A few others have dates in April 2020 and I'm guessing were part of the subsequent LM updates. 

The Orbx ADE_FTX_SCA_KIFP.bgl  (and companion CVX and PLC .bgl files) have a 10/5/2015 creation date.  Guessing these were part of the original Orbx SCA region release.   My SCA elevation_adjustment.bgl stubs like ADE_FTX_SCA_KIFP_elevation_adjustment.bgl also have 2015 creation dates.  I had assumed in the P3D5 compatible versions of Orbx SCA, the airport elevation stubs (there are about 40-50 of them) had been tweaked to match for P3D5, since there was no longer an AEC tool available.  But apparently not.  Is there any hope of a fix ?  I usually fly in on Pilot Edge in SoCal, so SCA is an important scenery!

Many thanks

Chuck O

Orbx SCA KIFP in P3D5.1.JPG

Orbx SCA KIFP ramp in P3D5.1.JPG

Hello,

P3D v5 reads the airport elevation from the highest version of the airport, as viewed in the in-game scenery library.

For this reason, elevation adjustment files are redundant and in fact this type of anomaly should be a thing of the past,

unless there are two versions of the same airport perhaps.

I do not see what you see.

I've searched my P3D5 root and my Orbx Library for duplicate KIFP files - none found.

I hadn't realized that the elevation stubs weren't functional in P3D5 - and are simply legacies from P3D4. 

Any reason not to delete them?

So my Orbx SCA KIFP is #114 in my library, and the LM KIFP base is  lower down,  #202.

Presumably you have the same two files as I, and in the same relative order.

Could it be that our Orbx SCA and LM base files are different ?  Is there any other possible explanation ?

Could LM have changed the elevation of the 0202 base?

If you are also using P3D 5.1 "HF1"(5.1.12.266829) we should be looking at the same scenery, shouldn't we?

Chuck

In the past I had to disable a file, say ADE_FTX_FL_KTPA_ALT.BLG because of what you are seeing.  That is when I had the SOCa Scenery.   I have TESC now so do not see it and also have vectors for P3D 5 which have been ok.  These files are  in the world scenery and ADE_FTX_FL_KIFP_ALT.BLG might be there that needs renamed to old.  Not sure if any of this helps but it fixed my airport issues in the past

Thanks Dean.  Wasn't certain which world scenery folder you were referring to.

My system has an X:\Orbx Library\p3dv5\NA Southern California\Scenery\World\scenery

and a file: ADE_FTX_SCA_KIFP_elevation_adjustment.bgl.

Turning this .off made no difference.

Or perhaps you are you recallling a different one ?

Chuck

I was thinking the default on the C drive. (Programfiles/LM/P3D/scenery/world)  I unchecked the Addon for TE southern Calif (which was a mistake, story below)   I did not have the problem  you are seeing but I know that NA SOCA has issues with addon airports like KLAS.  But this one is not a add on.   I am not sure if I am not seeing this issue because I have Vectors installed or because I had TE SoCa installed (even though I disabled the TE).  I know you have a elevation issue and in P3D4 it was easy to enable or disable a airport in vectors, but 5 change how things work, I think

Orbx has a issue with P3DV5 with migrating scenery.  It works ONCE.  But if a user unchecks the box in the add on, it can never me added (at Least the TE does not)  I had to uninstall and reinstall TE SC. (does not take long with my Internet)  Addons on in the P3D Add on folder so they are easy to activate when P3D5 starts.  Anyway, this is another story, I said all that because I would like o know how to setup the addon so that when P3D5 starts, it asked to enable the addon or not.

Hello Dean,

I have answered your other question in your other topic.

As previously mentioned, elevation adjustment files in scenery\world\scenery are

redundant in P3D v5.

The more likely cause is the presence of a second airport version or added navigation or AI data.

Thanks Nick and Dean - Based on your comments, I turned .off all four Orbx SCA KIFP files - including the elevation adj - leaving only the P3D5.1 base 0202 airport, which apparently just has ramps and three parking spots.   It looks different, but there are still elevation issues - the ramps and runways just don't match the underlying mesh.

I am running Orbx Global Base and Vector 1.52.  Is there anything in Base or Vector that might cause this ?

Could it just be that LM changed the  0202 mesh ?

BTW I'm not aware of any AI or navigation data installed in the sim.

Chuck

P3D5.1 KIFP without SCA.JPG

My P3D5 map view of the P3D5.1 base airport only shows KIFP at FE 699 ft, same as yours.

But I did notice that when I originally selected the airport there was a second airport, KP06 that showed up a bit northwest - see screenshot.   If I highlight KP06 it says "Bullhead City, Az". KP06 isn't in the airport index, only KIFP.  I searched my P3D5 and Orbx Library for KP06 but there is no .bgl by that name.... Very strange.  But I think you are onto something !

P3D5.1 KIFP Map view.JPG

P3D5.1 KIFP KP06 Airport view.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out KPO6 is the old ICAO for KIFP.  So perhaps KPO6 crept in during the LM update to P3D5.  My Orbx SCA KIFP scenery looks normal in P3D4.5. So this is somehow a P3D5 thing.  I recall last summer Ed Correia noted that P3D5 airports with ICAO changes would need to be identified and eventually fixed ([useful tip] Known Issues with Prepar3D v5 - PREPAR3D® V5.x Support Forum - Orbx Community and Support Forums (orbxsystems.com).  Perhaps this is one of them.  Nick says he's seeing floating objects here.  Anyone else also having issues with the P3D5 SCA Region at KIFP ?   

Archived