Thue Earth US Northern California HD - San Francisco issues

Gorum79

X-Plane 11. Just purchased 

1. Gloden gates brigde has no car traffic?

2. Alcatraz helipad is half in water (please see the screenshot #1). Some missions start with helipoter falling on side so I can not take off at all.

3. Other buildings are it seems not correctly installed (screenshot #2)

How can I solve it?

1.png

2.png

Edited by Gorum79

Hi Roger,

It's nice to hear that these problem appeared not only on my side. My questions reading all these post are:

1. How soon (approximately) Orbx can solve all of these issues?

2. How can I get the update when it's  done? Should I recheck my installed files  or reinstall the module NC?

BR

George 

Back at ya George;

First off, welcome to the forums!

Answer #1: When it's ready and I don't know. Granted, this is not the answer you wanted to hear. Orbx has a long and storied history of ground breaking products with a focus on quality and realism. Their excellent customer service is unsurpassed and the forum moderators are knowledgeable and helpful. They also have a very, very full plate right now. @Ed Correia  has made a commitment to the SF/Oakland Bay bridge replacement a month ago and I have no doubt that he will make it happen when he can get it into the que. I do not know about the status of Alcatraz or the other identified anomalies. Full disclosure; I do not work for Orbx but they've kept me a happy camper for the last decade plus.

Answer #2: This one you'll like. When the update is available a notice will appear when you open Orbx Central. Just click and and Central will do the rest.

Again, welcome to the forums and keep on posting.

Be Well,

Roger

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

George;

The impossible we can do right now, miracles take a little longer...

Orbx has honored it's commitment to replace the bridge, and did it in record time. For this I am truly grateful. Don't let good be the enemy of perfect.

Perhaps someone should start a new topic entitled specifically  "Alcatraz"  if this is going to be the next focal point.  In the meantime revel in the fact that we have a new beautiful bridge to grace our scenery.

Anyone for Alcatraz? Speak now or forever hold your peace. It's not up to me. The community will need to step up in unison for this to occur. Who's up next?

Keep the faith.

Oh, last but not least, thank you @Jon Clarke for guiding this through the process. I apologize for not including you in my last post, you were and are an integral and important player in moving this forward. Thank you again, you are a champ! 

Roger

Roger,

Well it's very good that work is going in a right direction and I agree that it's unnecessary to speed up Orbx team doing improvements step-by-step and I believe it's a hard work, but my duty as user of Orbx is to show where the places that need to be improved do you agree? And to respect to these places (quite famous I guess) here are where I see the future improvements and I must say about it, otherwise when only positive feedback is given what is development then?

Bridge is great now and I see the difference with last version, thanks Orbx,

But my question #2 does this version of Golden Gate including traffic or should I wait and keep the faith?

BR

George 

Edited by Gorum79
  • Like 1

George;

To my knowledge there has never been traffic on the GG Bridge. It has something to do with the way it's designed/constructed that does not allow that function.

I say again; Someone (not me) should start a new topic "Alcatraz" to pursue this specific anomaly. And, if the community is really behind this action it will happen.

Keep the faith....

Roger

S211 - 2021-04-19 3.32.51 PM.jpg

Edited by rhalunen

Roger,

It some strange that the GG bridge design doesn't allow to use the traffic. Freeware like "KSFO San Francisco International Airport and City" does, are you sure?

Anyway please tell me where can I see the changelog for NoCal and roadmap to know what is in progress?

BR

George

George;

If I remember correctly the issue with GG Bridge came down to two choices:

1. Have the bridge become a "hard" object and have AI traffic but be unable to fly under it. 

2. Have the bridge become a "soft" object and be able to fly under it but unable to support AI vehicle traffic. AI Traffic would run on the surface of the water and look rather unusual... 

If someone else in the community has a different version of this please correct me. I have used Mr. X's version in the past but I don't remember if I could fly under it.

You can locate your change log here: Orbx Central/Settings/Help/Open Log

The Orbx Roadmap is just setting target projects for the future. They, more than anyone, knows this is a moving target in a continuing and evolving environment and subject to change. The best source for current information is right here in the Orbx forum. 

Roger

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for your repies! I'll try to temporary disable NoCal and try GG bridge to investigate and compare,

Requesting the "changelog" I didn't mean "how my system was changed" in Orbx Central, but asking to compare what are the scenery changes and what was improved in comparison to last NoCal scenery, I haven't found it.

And also asked there about the plans for this map.

In all respect to your comments and help Roger I would also hear Orbx designers reply because the last 2 questions are mainly addressed to them,

I guess this forum is planned for this purpose,

BR

George 

Edited by Gorum79

17 hours ago, rhalunen said:

George;

If I remember correctly the issue with GG Bridge came down to two choices:

1. Have the bridge become a "hard" object and have AI traffic but be unable to fly under it. 

2. Have the bridge become a "soft" object and be able to fly under it but unable to support AI vehicle traffic. AI Traffic would run on the surface of the water and look rather unusual... 

@rhalunen I just disabled Orbx NoCal scenery and add freeware KSFO+city (made by MisterX6). And it actually allows to get "soft" GG (permits to perform the flight under it) with right AI traffic on the bridge at the same time! Oakland bridge also does.

@Jon Clarke Could Orbx team will add this in future? I vote for this!

I'm very happy to have NoCal from Orbx and it's detailed just amazing - please don't get me wrong. I'm happy to have ALL products made by Orbx and use it almost every day. I just give you the feedback of what is definitely should be considered on my opinion,

PS Alcatraz is also better detailed there and it's also what I'd like to see in future Orbx updates if possible

BR

George

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 1

Our bridges have never had traffic flowing over them, to do that would require the groundtraffic plugin which is limited to small areas. Basically, for every bridge we would want to add traffic to, we'd have to create a standalone scenery for it with a plugin.

X-Plane's road traffic doesn't care if a model is hard or soft, the cars won't drive over it. You would need to model the bridge exactly around the default X-Plane roads for that to work.

My only guess in this situation is that you were using a third-party addon or airport that added it, possibly something from MisterX?

As for Alcatraz, I agree the model isn't great and is basic, let me discuss this internally first and see if we can sort something out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jon Clarke  @Tony Wroblewski many thanks for your help and comments!

So I'm curious why the other scenaries (free- and payware) of SF allows the bridge traffic shown correctly? Do they use an another mechanism without the additional plugin?

MisterX: Yes I refer to his KSFO scenery as example,

I like SF and I love to fly over this city and other scenical areas around by helis which I'm huge fan of. I'm sure there will gonna be other simmers also asking for this changes in further NoCal updates,

BR

George

Edited by Gorum79
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gorum79 said:

So I'm curious why the other scenaries (free- and payware) of SF allows the bridge traffic shown correctly? Do they use an another mechanism without the additional plugin?

As mentioned above, many sceneries include the plugin in their own installation to add the cars, it's a common thing with bridges. However, the plugin only works over a small radius per scenery package, so we could only add traffic to one bridge in all of North California, and to add more we'd need to split it up to many smaller packages. If the goal of the scenery was only a San Francisco cityscape, then it would make sense to add it, otherwise the logistics behind adding large numbers of separate packages to just add cars to bridges is just too difficult.

I can't remember what exactly the radius was, but it was something like 10km. So you're limited to that area per package. 

The other way I mentioned presumes the default bridge in X-Plane is correct, and then somebody will model around that. This is very difficult to do correctly as users have different meshes etc.. In our case, the default road bridges were not correct and wouldn't fit the model (wrong width, lanes, etc)

I'll look in to the possibility of adding it to both San Fran bridges

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Badl4ndz and @Sentry11 many thanks for your notes!

@Badl4ndz

>>I can live without traffic on bridges but I do feel Alcatraz needs some attention. The ground textures especially...

I totally agree with you! Please add here what you want to improve in Alcatraz area?

@Sentry11: I created this rendition of Alcatraz Island awhile ago for personal use. It may not be an accurate depiction of the island but I found it a lot better on the eyes than what is now offered.

Please also explain what would you like to see here,

Thanks,

BR

George

Edited by Gorum79
  • Like 1

@Tony Wroblewski

I appreciate this work and look forward to your success,

And I would like to get back to GG.

Here is:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/29166-ksfo-san-francisco-international-airport-and-city/ (freeware)

https://store.x-plane.org/San-Francisco-XP_p_903.html (payware)

I understand that you can't discuss the 3rd party addons and its structures but however maybe you know how could they design both bridges with traffic? GG is 2.7 km, and Okland brigde is 2.8+3.1 km both areas are inside 10km radius. So there are 2 additional plugins for two bridges required, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, 

BR

George 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 2:28 AM, Tony Wroblewski said:

We are working on a new model for Alcatraz (the entire island), so expect that in a future update.

@Tony Wroblewski         @Ed Correia

Gentlemen;

You pulled off a miracle last time delivering the great new SF/Oak Bay Bridge within six weeks of committing to the project. Thank you again, I look at it often with great appreciation. Granted, it is on loan from FTX and hopefully didn't require the complete rebuild that you have promised for Alcatraz.

I don't expect to hear Alcatraz going to be done in a similar time frame and acknowledge that I may be premature in this post. I also reconfirm that Orbx has never let me down and has made good on all promises and commitments. Your word is always good with me, no worries.

That being said is there any progress that you care to report?

Cordially,

Roger Halunen

Shout out always to @Jon Clarke for your never ending assistance. You sir, are appreciated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rhalunen said:

That being said is there any progress that you care to report?

We are working on Alcatraz:

1.thumb.jpg.b5d8022d1360c3d8e7315e216c3e8771.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.b2776dc506cb4c2f64c4f42924566d41.jpg

There are actually quite a lot of new POIs here created in higher detail..

We're still working on getting it working with the terrain correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello!

@Ed Correia @Tony Wroblewski Many thanks for your detailed info and updates. New Alcatraz looks just amazing and I look forward to see it it in new NoCal, 

Great job is in progress, just keep going to make a brilliant in SF Bay!

As for bridges @Ed Correiathe current ones have the completely new model: yes but could you please explain me we they still couldn't have a traffic? The limitations of distance Tony W. said about was not exceeded (each less than 10 km), so the plugin could handle that. Besides traffic on both bridges could differ from other areas on the ground approaching to the bridge (I guess MisterX plugin have this plugin).

In any case for the people approaching these bridges by helicopter (or plane with low attitude) is important to see the life on there I think,

BR

George

32 minutes ago, Gorum79 said:

Hello!

@Ed Correia @Tony Wroblewski Many thanks for your detailed info and updates. New Alcatraz looks just amazing and I look forward to see it it in new NoCal, 

Great job is in progress, just keep going to make a brilliant in SF Bay!

As for bridges @Ed Correiathe current ones have the completely new model: yes but could you please explain me we they still couldn't have a traffic? The limitations of distance Tony W. said about was not exceeded (each less than 10 km), so the plugin could handle that. Besides traffic on both bridges could differ from other areas on the ground approaching to the bridge (I guess MisterX plugin have this plugin).

In any case for the people approaching these bridges by helicopter (or plane with low attitude) is important to see the life on there I think,

BR

George

I believe Tony has answered this question above.

Once Alcatraz is done the team will move onto developing new content for people to enjoy :)

• Thanks 2