FSX will not load YBCG after YBCG and CityScene Gold Coast Installed

MZee1960

Hello,

I currently have FSX with SP1&2. I have FTX Global Base, Vector, and numerous OpenLC regions, full fat regions, and airports - mostly all Orbx. Also running UT2 and REX Essentials. Everything Orbx is up to date - scenery and Orbx Central included.  

Prior to Christmas I purchased Orbx AUv2 and Cairns Airport scenery. I then installed all of the Australian freeware airports on the Orbx site along with a few Ant's Aussie Airports. All of this installed flawlessly, without issues in sim.

Yesterday, I opted to purchase 2 scenery addons,  Gold Coast Airport (YBCG) and the recommended companion CityScene Gold Coast Scenery. I installed both today via Orbx Central and discovered that in the 'Free Flight' section - all chosen airports work except when I select YBCG. Selecting this and hitting 'fly now' causes a pop-up to show with a statement "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you when a solution is available." Same thing happens after uninstalling CityScene Gold Coast only, and leaving the YBCG installed. Once both YBCG and CityScene Gold Coast are uninstalled, then everything is back to normal and the chosen 'Free Flight' loads to the YBCG airport as it appears in the AUv2 pack. Also, flying in from Cairns to YBCG was no problem when using just the AUv2 version, but produces the same warning message (and FSX freezes) once I add these to AUv2. This happens when about 5-10 miles out from the airport.

Perhaps a file in the YBCG or CityScene scenery is wrong/missing/duplicated somewhere ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank-you,

Milan ...

Hi Nick,

Here is the latest copy ...... Scenery.CFG

Only freeware for Australia (as mentioned above) I have is some Ant's Airports where I had to make some compatibility changes for AU v2 as outlined here ....... AUv2 fix.txt

Ant's is the only scenery I have for Australia which is technically  'not Orbx'.

Thank-you,

Milan .....

Edited by MZee1960

Hi Nick,

I unticked all of my Addon Scenery in FSX, leaving only the FSX default and Orbx stuff active.

I chose YBCG under 'Free Flight', got spinning blue wheel for a few seconds, then the same pop-up  'Microsoft Flight Sim stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly etc......'  

Any other airport works fine, loads up no problem (eg. Orbx Cairns, Murray Island ...).

I just noticed there is now a thread in the FSX Steam Edition Support forum where I think someone is experiencing same issue with YBCG as me.

I have no problem loading the AU v2 version of YBCG (below), but once I install Orbx's more detailed YBCG addon, FSX refuses to load.

wcCXV5i.png

Edited by MZee1960

Hi,

YBCG is version 1.0.1 (release date June.2.2018)

CityScene Gold Coast is version 1.0.0 (release date Feb.25.2018)

AU v2 is version 2.1.3

I think some sort of  'stumbling block'  occurs when FSX is asked to load YBCG.

I have uninstalled both YBCG and CityScene Gold Coast using Central so I can use this area in the AU v2 scenery version, for now.

I'd like to use this scenery, obviously, but if no solution exists, perhaps I can get refund ?

I can provide the purchase particulars, if it comes to that point. Just don't know how to do this as never had to do this before. 

Milan ....

Edited by MZee1960

thank you MZ.....

yes what you have described is my situation also

"I think some sort of  'stumbling block'  occurs when FSX is asked to load YBCG.

I have uninstalled [...] YBCG"

i do not have CityScene Gold Coast.

there may be some 'incompatability' but since everything works for me

without YBCG i will assume that YBCG is the problem.

joe

Hello Milan,

I meant are you using the beta version of FSX Steam Edition?

To Joe,

the flaw in the logic is that I cannot replicate the problem, which

would indicate that it does not lie with the Orbx products.

Hello,

I cannot replicate this.

This is in version 10.0.62615.0, not the beta version.

1.jpg

Hi Nick,

Sorry, I misunderstood.

No. I am using FSX Deluxe Edition (boxed) with SP1&2 installed (no Acceleration). Running on Windows 7 system as in my signature.  Everything is on C drive. All Orbx is installed automatically by Central.

Thank-you,

Milan ....

8 hours ago, MZee1960 said:

No. I am using FSX Deluxe Edition (boxed) with SP1&2 installed (no Acceleration)

Hello,

as I am struggling to find differences, I wonder if the lack of Acceleration could be the problem.

If you have no other addons active in your scenery library, except the two Orbx products and

the Orbx Libraries, does it still crash?

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

Same result all the time. FSX will not load YBCG with either YBCG or CityScene Gold Coast active in the scenery library - just get the pop-up and closes right down.

I have the uiautomationcore.dll installed, the highmemfix tweak, and the free version of FSUIPC as well.

I had a look at Event Viewer in Windows - all of these crashes point to g3d.dll module (eg of one shown below). I found several posts regarding this error type. I am not an expert in this, but some threads seem to indicate this type of error occurs when FSX encounters just too many textures to load all at once, or sometimes wrong/missing textures and becomes overwhelmed during the loading process, so just freezes, and throws out the g3d.dll error and the pop-up statement saying it's shutting down etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, but seems plausible as numerous users report much longer loading times, at best, with these 2 scenery packages. I was expecting the same longer loading times, but never imagined FSX crashing.   

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          02/03/2021 2:28:34 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      User-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e180c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00011eea
Faulting process id: 0x1b88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d70fa208e20a6d
Faulting application path: C:\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\FSX\g3d.dll
Report Id: dbee6da6-7b95-11eb-8bc7-5404a6c24df9
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-03-02T20:28:34.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>239178</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>User-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61472.0</Data>
    <Data>475e17d3</Data>
    <Data>g3d.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61472.0</Data>
    <Data>475e180c</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00011eea</Data>
    <Data>1b88</Data>
    <Data>01d70fa208e20a6d</Data>
    <Data>C:\FSX\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\FSX\g3d.dll</Data>
    <Data>dbee6da6-7b95-11eb-8bc7-5404a6c24df9</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Not sure if you have any other ideas, but rather than keep trying, perhaps I can get a refund for these 2 scenery packages. I have all the purchase info, just need to know how to proceed and who to send it to.

Thank-you,

Milan .....

Hi Nick,

Yes, I see the  ' 3D.DLL fix attempt installed ok'  line in FSUIPC log file (latest copy attached below).

I'm always running FSX without Direct X 10 Preview checked. So I assume it is then Direct X 9 which is 'on'.

I have not tried a fresh copy of fsx.config file yet.  My current fsx.config copy is attached below.

Should I copy this config to desktop as backup, delete the one inside FSX and let it rebuild after re-launching FSX ?

Mods my current config file contains are only a few, though :

WideViewAspect=True

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

ForecWindowedVsync=1

AffinityMask=84
HIGHMEMFIX=1

[BUFFERPOOLS]RejectThreshold=131072

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTIPLIER=400

FSUIPC4.log

fsx.CFG

Thank-you,

Milan ....

Hi Nick,

Just checking in today, as I will be away from my sim desktop computer for the weekend.

I will do this follow-up with the config file on Monday and let you know how things work out then.

Thank-you,

Milan .......

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately no joy with a newly created FSX  config file. Sim crashes at start with same errors and popup as described in my first post above. The trigger is YBCG addon airport and/or CityScene Gold Coast installed. Both give the g3d.dll error. (Event log same as described above.)

Without these 2 scenery packs all is OK. Flew the 2hr 15min trek from YBCS Cairns by Gerald Marshall to the AU V2 of YBCG without problems. With these 2 installed, the sim freezes and crashes as soon as get within 10mi or so of the Gold Coast region (probably the same time this scenery is getting called on to load into the sim).

Other AU payware Orbx airports (Cairns) load fine. Also flying over AU V2 Melbourne from YMML is fine. I don't think scenery complexity/density plays a role here.

SZFyEUC.png

2OsXv1L.png

Thanks,

Milan ...

Edited by MZee1960

Hello,

I installed a version of FSX with only SP1 and SP2.

I did manage to load at YBCG once, but it crashed soon afterwards with the out of VAS error message.

My suspicion is that FSX with only SP1 and SP2 will not run the Gold Coast Cityscene and that

you should apply for a refund, quoting this topic.

Will do.

Thank-you, very much for your help and guidance here.

My 12 year old system was to be replaced before the pandemic hit, now it finally looks like this will happen this year, as things slowly will get back to normal.

Can't wait, lol !  

Cheers,

Milan .......

Just for the record you are doing well to run Gold Coast Cityscene with FSX! Last time I tried it I only had autogen out to a few miles. 

FSX is still great sim for cross country flights but if you are going to enter built up areas like GC and want detailed scenery, P3DV5 is where you need to be at, even P3DV4 has limited draw distance. The good news is that an i7 4790k and GTX 1080 like mine will run it at 20+ fps, so if you're budget is limited you could pick up a second hand gaming computer with similar specs for under $1000 (assuming you don't already have a similar rig). Almost all the Ants and OZx scenery seems to display quite well. 

Finally, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free, I put it off for a long time but the upgrade was seamless and has enough advantages to make it worth doing. 

19 hours ago, John Dow said:

Just for the record you are doing well to run Gold Coast Cityscene with FSX! Last time I tried it I only had autogen out to a few miles. 

FSX is still great sim for cross country flights but if you are going to enter built up areas like GC and want detailed scenery, P3DV5 is where you need to be at, even P3DV4 has limited draw distance. The good news is that an i7 4790k and GTX 1080 like mine will run it at 20+ fps, so if you're budget is limited you could pick up a second hand gaming computer with similar specs for under $1000 (assuming you don't already have a similar rig). Almost all the Ants and OZx scenery seems to display quite well. 

Finally, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free, I put it off for a long time but the upgrade was seamless and has enough advantages to make it worth doing. 

Hi John,

I am pretty well just trying to make FSX interesting for the time being, on a 12 year old machine. (I have a W10 laptop for everything else and use this desktop just for the sim).  I have never owned any Orbx Australia prior to this point and figured it's time to go out and explore the land down under.

I was planning a totally new sim rig last spring and then the pandemic hit and my 'go to' computer shop had to temporarily close down as per gov't regulations etc.  Now things are finally starting to re-open, but computer hardware inventory is scarce. Was told it will be a waiting game until mid-year for inventory to come back up. Waiting is good as it allows me to do more research in the meantime re my next build. 

Thanks, for the feedback. I feel I have gotten good use out of this machine over the past decade, and am looking forward to a new one very soon.

Milan ...... 

On 3/9/2021 at 4:42 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I installed a version of FSX with only SP1 and SP2.

I did manage to load at YBCG once, but it crashed soon afterwards with the out of VAS error message.

My suspicion is that FSX with only SP1 and SP2 will not run the Gold Coast Cityscene and that

you should apply for a refund, quoting this topic.

Hi Nick,

I did all as you said, and still no answer to my support ticket.       :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have identified the problem.

I attach two files to be placed into ORBX\FTX_AU\FTX_AA_YBCG\Scenery.

One will overwrite, the other will not, depending on how you have set the control panel.

You will see another file with the same name but with the suffix .off.

Delete that file and add .off to the file name of the one that did not overwrite.

YBCG_ADEX_ADE.bgl YBCG_ADEX_ADE_WITH_STATIC_AIRPLANES.bgl

• 2 weeks later...