Not Feeling the Love Anymore

fltsimguy

I subscribe to many of Orbx forums, especially new releases and updates.  I watch most stuff related to P3Dv4.5+, MSFS and XP11.5+

I was a bit concerned that MSFS would take over the limited resources for company's like Orbx who are declared partners and have "great passion" for the new sim.

I am unable to move to the new sim at this time due to some technical issues and cost issues and am heavily involved with Xp11.5+.

I'm wondering if Orbx will be sending some love and passion to XP again or has it fallen off the table?

As it stands now ( I reserve the right to change my mind) I have absolutely NO interest in MSFS.  I understand, but lament the decision to drop  future development for FSX.  Eventually I will upgrade, but it will be to P3D.  I've been putting it off because it will take many, many, many hours (I expect at least a month) of hard work to upgrade all the software and hardware add-ons to work on my complex networked cockpit system with LOTS of additional software.  MSFS simply does not support the type of setup I have.  It may someday, but I'm not holding my breath.  So the MSFS  add-ons that Orbx and others are producing are matters of curiosity only, and won't pry a dollar out of my wallet.

3 hours ago, Ken Q said:

As it stands now ( I reserve the right to change my mind) I have absolutely NO interest in MSFS.  I understand, but lament the decision to drop  future development for FSX.  Eventually I will upgrade, but it will be to P3D.  I've been putting it off because it will take many, many, many hours (I expect at least a month) of hard work to upgrade all the software and hardware add-ons to work on my complex networked cockpit system with LOTS of additional software.  MSFS simply does not support the type of setup I have.  It may someday, but I'm not holding my breath.  So the MSFS  add-ons that Orbx and others are producing are matters of curiosity only, and won't pry a dollar out of my wallet.

My thoughts on your situation are that there's no reason you cannot continue to enjoy countless hours of simming with the sceneries you have and a selection of other developer's and freeware offerings.  However, if you crave constant renewal, the latest and greatest scenery etc, then you will probabl6y have to resign to the fact that most of the simming world has embraced the groundbreaking realism and smoothness of MSFS, and that's where future development will be concentrated.

But for you, I'd say stick with FSX, perhaps try an upgrade to P3D to get the greater scenery draw distances, but for your setup, MSFS will probably not be offering solutions for at lewast a couple of years.

Personally I was taken in by the hype of MSFS and bought the product having been a Microsoft simmer for many years. However I was most disappointed with the product but gave it a few months. It has not appealed to me and I have since uninstalled it and reverted to P3dv4.5 and version 5. I probably will return to MSFS at some point in the future however I still have plenty of the world to experience with Orbx products so am happy with the status quo. I say good luck to Orbx, they cannot afford to stand still in this ever developing market.

17 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

I'm wondering if Orbx will be sending some love and passion to XP again or has it fallen off the table?

I of course was wondering about XP, while I have P3D I gravitated to XP three years ago and haven't looked back.  I certainly do not want this to be a sim bashing but rather wondering again, will we see XP products from Orbx.

I see your point Bryan. Like you I also have XPlane 11 and use it for GA flying around the UK and think the Orbx TE for the regions is fantastic. Always something new to see when flying slow and low. I also have a few of the UK airports including my home town Dundee.  Fortunately for me I have enough Orbx products to keep me occupied for the time being but can understand your trepidation.

P3D, XPlane , even MSFS and the old war horse FSX are great sims , but they each have different things to offer.  Personal preference is largely determined by how we use our SIM, and which capabilities and features are important to us.  There is room and market for all of them.  My hope is that, although MSFS is the new kid on the block, and currently getting all of the attention, the other platforms won't be ignored or forgotten by the developers.

Ken

Like several others, I went to MSFS a while after it  first came out. I had problems with control assignments and with a constant freeze-up. Plus I hated the loss of all my favorite planes. I finally uninstalled and went back to P3D4, where I now fly happily. May try MSFS again someday, but not until it settles down technically and also provides a range of planes. In the meantime, Orbx for me.

Can you recall what it was like to have FSX/P3Dv1 though to v5.1 when you didn't have your favourite aircraft/scenery with every new version? so you scuttled back to your comfort zone? MFS is just another step up the ladder. Embrace the advances made by MFS and in no time you'll look back at the previous sims as, yeah, they were good but you can't go back.

Unless you're still married to FS9 that is. :D

Which reminds me, where is my favourite little airport Stapleford? Oh I do miss it. I'll have to go back to P3Dv whatever.

Nah, I'll wait.

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Can you recall what it was like to have FSX/P3Dv1 though to v5.1 when you didn't have your favourite aircraft/scenery with every new version? so you scuttled back to your comfort zone? MFS is just another step up the ladder. Embrace the advances made by MFS and in no time you'll look back at the previous sims as, yeah, they were good but you can't go back.

Unless you're still married to FS9 that is. :D

Which reminds me, where is my favourite little airport Stapleford? Oh I do miss it. I'll have to go back to P3Dv whatever.

Nah, I'll wait.

You wrote too soon, Ron. The wait is shorter than you thought. Orbx just announced EGSG is coming for MFS, and if things work out, this weekend! Or maybe it's coming because you wrote?

Hello,

once upon a time, there was only FSX, then followed P3D v1, v2, v3, v4 and v5.

In the meantime, Orbx started to develop for X Plane 11.

Each time there was a release of more than one product for one of these and

not the others, there  was an outcry of "what about my simulator, has Orbx

abandoned me?", as in this topic.

In fact, wherever possible, Orbx has tried to release products for P3D and X Plane 11

as close to each other as possible.

However, "porting" these products from simulator to simulator is not, as some appear to believe,

just a matter of feeding them into a machine and flicking a switch.

Although there are more staff now, they do not all have the same skills and also do not

necessarily have the time to work on multiple projects at once.

There is a huge range of Orbx products available for FSX, P3D and X Plane 11, so MSFS development

is having to run to catch up.

It has already been stated that there will not be any more FSX specific development, but there are

products, such as openLC Asia, which should work in and therefore be released for FSX as well as P3D. 

As to what else, we shall have to wait and see, as ever, they don't tell me either.:)

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

However, "porting" these products from simulator to simulator is not, as some appear to believe,

The other day I was asked to 'port over' a paint from MDS to P3D. I said I look at it. I did and it turned out to be totally different. It would have meant a new paint.

It did, however, disabuse me of the idea of 'porting over' anything from one sim to another!

Ports from one simulator to another may be difficult, but the two X-Plane airports (KIDA and KMBS) Orbx acquired from Turbulent Designs, promised to be released by Orbx in previous posts, have never appeared. Orbx also stated Turbulent Designs KGPI would be ported to X-Plane, no evidence of that yet. The True Earth team is working on MSFS Cityscapes according to Orbx posts. Other developers are porting X-Plane airports to MSFS, so it appears that X-Plane and MSFS scenery development have some commonality. If that is the case, it might make sense to create some sceneries in X-Plane and port them to MSFS or the existing US airports for X-Plane could be candidates for ports to MSFS. Since there is only one Australian airport from Orbx, that might be a good candidate for an Orbx port from X-Plane to MSFS.

Archived