Orbx is out of the box!

Orbx

11 hours ago, Orbx said:

Well - we have officially taken the logo out of the rectangle, so we can expand our horizons more easily... ;)

Jokes aside, we hope you like the new look, the logo and the wordmark. Clean and versatile (we think), carrying forward our history and origin.

More to come as we release bit by bit our new brand architecture.

Big team effort but kudos to our in-house creative, Alberto, labouring on this for a good chunk of time. He's having a nap now.

Im sorry and no disrespect intended or implied. FWIW, to me, the new logo does not imply or inform about Orbx. A nifty logo?  Sure. Brand recognition for Orbx?  Maybe not so much?

-Braun

• Upvote 3

I don't get it. If I Google "Orbx" it takes me to orbxdirect.com. I don't see a new logo anywhere on that page. And I agree with Braun, the new logo tells me nothing. How is it "carrying forward our history and origin". I must have missed something. Somebody's gotta explain it to me. Or, maybe it's just a case of Old Timers disease.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Braun said:

Im sorry and no disrespect intended or implied. FWIW, to me, the new logo does not imply or inform about Orbx. A nifty logo?  Sure. Brand recognition for Orbx?  Maybe not so much?

-Braun

19 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

Personally, if asked, I preferred the old Orbx Simulator Systems logo. I could spot the enclosed image on a page. I still direct people to orbxsystems.

Then again, I prefer the traditional Coca Cola swish to the lazy 'Coke' text. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

I don't get it. If I Google "Orbx" it takes me to orbxdirect.com. I don't see a new logo anywhere on that page. And I agree with Braun, the new logo tells me nothing. How is it "carrying forward our history and origin". I must have missed something. Somebody's gotta explain it to me. Or, maybe it's just a case of Old Timers disease.

2 hours ago, Ticker7 said:

Sorry but it looks like a lot of other logos on the net and to me doesn't convey a flight simulation company. just my 2 bobs worth.

I am not sure, why the new logo should not fulfill the criteria you mention the same way or even better than te old logo did.

Old                                                               

2007756707_OrbxLogoold.jpg.43c888613eb2ff6176c2fdd10a1e7adb.jpg

New  

1560186957_OrbxLogonew.jpg.56fb2440c19d7d94c5bb271e757042e6.jpg

Okay, the old logo contained the writing "simulation systems", but this could have been any kind of simulation. And even if you assume simulation is only flight simulation, you couldn't tell from the old logo if Orbx created sceneries or perhaps aircraft or maybe is a weather engine. 

I personally think, he name Orbx is so well known in the flightsim community, that there is no appendix needed telling people what the company does.

And I also think the new logo is more contemporary than the old one was. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: and I like that the writing is out of the box now. Looked a bit "restrictive".

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 2

(Sorry, finger trouble with previous post)

Not that I suspect it matters, but I really think this is a pretty lousy piece of work. I can't see anything particularly representative of either the company name or its ethos or its nature/products. As has already been mentioned, Orbx is a valuable and well known name in this marketplace, but this is - I don't even know what it's attempting to be - cute? stylish? in tune with the cosmos? I'm guessing, and it really is a guess only after staring at the wretched thing for quite a while, that this is some sort of attempt to indicate an "X" within a circle ("orb") and thus stylishly indicate the company name with a sweeping graphical statement? If that's the case, it's not working for me.

Sad to say it, but Orbx is losing its lustre for me this past year, one way or another, and feels like it's in danger of becoming just another product pusher, and not the world class leader it was. And this logo just adds to the disappearing act. Abandoning your history and origin feels nearer the truth.

But hey, just one punter's opinion (but a punter who has pretty much bought everything you've produced, up until he stopped using P3D last August)

Edited by andy1252
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, andy1252 said:

(Sorry, finger trouble with previous post)

Not that I suspect it matters, but I really think this is a pretty lousy piece of work. I can't see anything particularly representative of either the company name or its ethos or its nature/products. As has already been mentioned, Orbx is a valuable and well known name in this marketplace, but this is - I don't even know what it's attempting to be - cute? stylish? in tune with the cosmos? I'm guessing, and it really is a guess only after staring at the wretched thing for quite a while, that this is some sort of attempt to indicate an "X" within a circle ("orb") and thus stylishly indicate the company name with a sweeping graphical statement? If that's the case, it's not working for me.

Sad to say it, but Orbx is losing its lustre for me this past year, one way or another, and feels like it's in danger of becoming just another product pusher, and not the world class leader it was. And this logo just adds to the disappearing act. Abandoning your history and origin feels nearer the truth.

But hey, just one punter's opinion (but a punter who has pretty much bought everything you've produced, up until he stopped using P3D last August)

The "X" is not the logo, but just  Orbx' forum's profile pic.

For me, the former logo were the characters "O", "R", "B" and "X" but with the new logo they seem to interact more with each other.

As for the missing link to flight simulation; it could be a marketing choice. The name is well known in our world and does not need any additional explaining in my opinion.

Just like every one knows that, if we say "Galaxy S" without mentioning the brand, it's a Samsung.

• Like 1

"The "X" is not the logo, but just  Orbx' forum's profile pic" Wolfgang says above. OK, but I still don't get it. If I go to Orbx Direct it has the "old" logo. If I start Orbx Central it has the "old" logo. Why did it change if it's not being used? I guess I'm just too old for this stuff.....Doug

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, W2DR said:

"The "X" is not the logo, but just  Orbx' forum's profile pic" Wolfgang says above. OK, but I still don't get it. If I go to Orbx Direct it has the "old" logo. If I start Orbx Central it has the "old" logo. Why did it change if it's not being used? I guess I'm just too old for this stuff.....Doug

Hi Doug, you are right. I just entered the Orbxdirect website for buying Brisbane and realized too that there still is the old logo. Really strange.:blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not entirely sold.

I subscribe more to the thinking that coporate design should be changed only very, very carefully.

And you should never completely change the colourscheme or geometric shape of a logo.

A good example of how to do it right is looking at the history of the Lufthansa or Delta Airlines Logos.

18 minutes ago, KVSandleben said:

I'm not entirely sold.

I subscribe more to the thinking that coporate design should be changed only very, very carefully.

And you should never completely change the colourscheme or geometric shape of a logo.

A good example of how to do it right is looking at the history of the Lufthansa or Delta Airlines Logos.

IMO the change is very subtle. Don't mix up the "X" with the new logo like others did. The X is just the forum profile pic.

In my above post from Feb 26 in this thread I have posted comparison shots of the old and the new logo. The difference is not that big me thinks.