Compatibility of Orbx Landmarks London City Pack with Microsoft World Update: United Kingdom

Orbx

Just now, smoothchat said:

Ah, thankyou.  That clarifies it.  My mistake.

No worries! 

My guess is that most people will get the free UK update to MSFS and therefore need the upcoming update to Orbx's Landmarks London City. 

But it is nice that there will be a version if someone chooses not to get UK update.

• Ben McClintock changed the title to Compatibility of Orbx Landmarks London City Pack with Microsoft World Update: United Kingdom
2 hours ago, Orbx said:

We would like to provide you with an update on the recently released Microsoft World Update: United Kingdom, and how it affects our Orbx Landmarks London City Pack product. 

The Microsoft update includes all new photogrammetry for central London, along with several dozen new custom models of landmarks, like London Eye and Buckingham Palace.

What does that mean for our customers that have purchased and installed the Orbx Landmarks London City Pack product?

In its current form, Landmarks London conflicts with the Microsoft update due to overlapping landmark buildings and our terraforming files. Thus, you will see duplicate buildings, as well as missing areas of photogrammetry buildings, among other inconsistencies.

We are currently working on a separate pack which will be fully compatible with the Microsoft World Update: UK. This will be free for customers who have previously purchased the London City pack. 

Once this pack is released (in a week or less in Orbx Central and possibly a little longer on the MS Marketplace as we are dependent on their approval queue), there will be two products: one for the non-UK update and one for the UK update. You will then be able to activate one or the other, depending on whether you have the UK update running or not. 

In addition, we are planning a comprehensive content update in a few weeks’ time to add some exciting new landmarks to both packs.

If purchasing the pack as a new customer, you will be able to choose either product, though both will be included in the same price, ie. you can get both, pay once, and decide which one you want to run.

In the meantime, if you want to deactivate the Orbx London pack, you can do one of the following:

• If installed via OrbxDirect, uninstall in Orbx Central; or
  • Uninstall inside MSFS from Profile>Content Manager (search for 'London")

Please stay tuned to our forums and Twitter account for progress updates, and if you need help with any of this, please go to support.orbxdirect.com.

Happy flying!

The Orbx Team

Question only partly off topic. I know you guys are prioritizing work on the most urgent thing, of course: Is the London City airport add-on going to get updated with the new taxiway and extended apron that have just been opened? 

This may also be warranted because the new update "surfaced" the area covered by the new construction anyway, as you can see below.

1upfIms.jpg

It would be very, very much appreciated :D

Edited by Abriael
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

This is a little complex, but sounds like a great way to work with the situation. Thanks for retaining and building on the value of the original London City Pack. Pleasure doing business with you! 

My only real quibble is this wasn't unforeseen and if nothing else, it would have been ideal for Orbx and  Asobo to have worked together so if the changes to the London Pack couldn't be made available at the time of the UK update, this news would have been ideal in the past week or so, not after the UK update was released. Again, minor quibble, suggestion for future improvement. I've always been happy with my Orbx purchases and I am very eager to see how you adapt and improve this product!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dylanear said:

This is a little complex, but sounds like a great way to work with the situation. Thanks for retaining and building on the value of the original London City Pack. Pleasure doing business with you! 

My only real quibble is this wasn't unforeseen and if nothing else, it would have been ideal for Orbx and  Asobo to have worked together so if the changes to the London Pack couldn't be made available at the time of the UK update, this news would have been ideal in the past week or so, not after the UK update was released. Again, minor quibble, suggestion for future improvement. I've always been happy with my Orbx purchases and I am very eager to see how you adapt and improve this product!

Considering the delays of the update, I feel like Microsoft simply didn't have a final version of London's photogrammetry to give Orbx something to work with until very recently. 

Edited by Abriael
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Abriael said:

Considering the delays of the update, I feel like Microsoft simply didn't have a final version of London's photogrammetry to give Orbx something to work with until very recently. 

It's a missed opportunity on their (both companies) part.  I understand they probably didn't finalize things until very recently, but sure seems like we could have at least had an announcement of this plan before today. If Asobo gave Orbx "beta" access to the UK update they would at least be able to get a good head start. And perhaps they would have to release an update a week from now to address Asobos last changes, but they could have at least had something to release today and could have announced this plan a week or a month ago. 

Again, all's well that ends well. I'm still a happy Orbx customer and trust they will continue to stand by their excellent products. I say what I do as hopefully helpful criticism for future improvements. Not pointing fingers and throwing blame around. I'm sure they had their reasons for this situation to be as it is. In the big picture I'm satisfied and can't wait to see how awesome London will look once Orbx has added their magic to the improvements Asobo has made. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smoothchat said:

Not sure if FS2020 gives us the option to "Not" install the UK Update, so having a choice between 2 Orbx versions seems redundant (or am I missing something?)

You can remove any world update or anything else you have purchased through the MSFS 2020 marketplace using the FS2020 content manager. It is separate from the sim updates.

33 minutes ago, Anna Cicognani said:

We did not have access to the UK update until it was released publicly. Agree it would have been good to start working on this earlier (we did ask to have early beta access). Personal thanks for supporting us as we update the pack - working as fast as we can :-)

I assume this will occur again with Paris when the next world update is deployed which I believe contains France and Benelux countries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Badl4ndz said:

I assume this will occur again with Paris when the next world update is deployed which I believe contains France and Benelux countries.

When I interviewed Microsoft's Jorg Neumann a few days ago, they told me they plan to give addon designers early access to patches. Obviously this one didn't work out, but I'm going to hope in two months when Paris comes out, they'll have ironed out the process. 

What can I say, I'm an optimist :D

Edited by Abriael
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

the UK World Update is a mess - my high end pc just keeps crashing to desktop in Flight Simulator (was fine before the update) and everywhere cathedrals and other significant landmarks remain missing. The buildings around Greenwich even on the loading screen aren’t even close to being as accurate as Orbx or Google Earth - the Isle of Dogs south of Canary Wharf (a very urban area) is now a forest of mis-sized trees!

Please Orbx - release a TrueEarth England pack so we can actually get something worth using in MsFS

Edited by David Woodford

Thank you for the update, this is certainly going to be an excellent solution from the side of Orbx. I am stilly glad, Orbx jumped in with the original London landmarls pack, as London looked really poor in the release version of MSFS.

And yes, I've a bit of a mixed feeling about Orbx not getting a pre-release version. Even more, as this will be a standard situation for all City Pack/ POI pack / Landmarks makers, not only Orbx, which will repeate with every World update. The next loophole for Orbx will probably be the Paris landmarks pack.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Hi

Been flying around the updated London (with Orbx pack disabled) and its working really well for me.

HOWEVER ... I can clearly see that the Orbx London could complement the new Asobo effort quite nicely as there are still quite a number of London landmarks missing.

My Question - where is the best place to submit landmark ideas to Orbx in order to help make this new Landmarks London update as competitive and complete as possible?

Thanks

Ads

10 hours ago, smoothchat said:

Not sure if FS2020 gives us the option to "Not" install the UK Update, so having a choice between 2 Orbx versions seems redundant (or am I missing something?)

you can uninstall it via the content manager.  jusck right click on it. and you will see a checkmark in the column and a delete button.  B)

Edited by FireRx

9 hours ago, Piper9t3 said:

The animated London Eye is a really nice feature from MS/Asobo.

Curious if the forthcoming updated Orbx London City Pack (UK update version) will retain the animation?     

I would expect an updated London City pack to not replace things that Asobo have done well enough.

• Like 1

Hope this is not too far "off topic" but I am wondering what I should do with Liverpool and Leeds airports that I purchased through Orbx Central prior to the UK/Ireland update? Those two airports apparently got some extra attention in the update. Should I remove the Orbx versions or will they work OK simultaneously (i.e. both loaded)?

Thanks!

Denny Knepper

Pennsylvania

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Kevin T said:

If you're adding new landmarks, could you please add a few to the suburbs? The Crystal Palace TV antenna is obvious by its absence and perhaps some of the Croydon skyline?

Could I also perhaps impose on the team to possibly add the London Aquatics Center since you already have London Stadium?

It's not that it has any special significance, but whoever did the photogrammetry had the astonishing idea of cutting it literally in half, and let's just say it isn't very fetching.

FRA7e1I.jpg

EA1voJ5.jpg

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, David Woodford said:

the UK World Update is a mess - my high end pc just keeps crashing to desktop in Flight Simulator (was fine before the update) and everywhere cathedrals and other significant landmarks remain missing. The buildings around Greenwich even on the loading screen aren’t even close to being as accurate as Orbx or Google Earth - the Isle of Dogs south of Canary Wharf (a very urban area) is now a forest of mis-sized trees!

Please Orbx - release a TrueEarth England pack so we can actually get something worth using in MsFS

I agree with David. The UK World Update is a mess. Even with 5Ghz overclocking I am hardly touching 20FPS and its a stutter fest. The center of London which has photogrammetry looks like a molten city as if hit by a nuclear weapon. At this point of time as is the performance is extremely bad and no matter how much Orbx optimize their new London City Pack, this is going to add more strain to the already poorly optimized London release.

Also the blending of landmark with photogrammetry is something very much desired. Its not Orbx fault here. Orbx is doing a great job, but the hand placed landmarks especially standout in photogrammetry scenery which can be clearly made out while flying. Its like most of the photogrammetry is extremely dark and molten buildings and the hand placed landmarks are colorful and bright and they do not blend at all.

I am sorry to say but is this the way we have imagined a sim to be where in we have molten structures with few hand placed structures in between that so not blend?

Does Orbx have any plans to mitigate these issues? 

Bad performance (Low FPS) with World Update 3 and new London photogrammetry - Bugs & Issues / Performance, Graphics & CTDs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Is it only London impacted by the update? I fly from EGNT (Newcastle) and I'm sure there weren't two windsocks before the update! Removing Orbx there is only one, but the stock scenery is not a patch on the Orbx stuff.

Great work guys, look forward to seeing all the enhancements you'll develop over the next few years.

995603726_2021-02-18(2).thumb.png.e9799f6b6bcaa3bfcddd515bec533fda.png

On 2/17/2021 at 3:41 AM, Orbx said:

We would like to provide you with an update on the recently released Microsoft World Update: United Kingdom, and how it affects our Orbx Landmarks London City Pack product. 

The Microsoft update includes all new photogrammetry for central London, along with several dozen new custom models of landmarks, like London Eye and Buckingham Palace.

What does that mean for our customers that have purchased and installed the Orbx Landmarks London City Pack product?

In its current form, Landmarks London conflicts with the Microsoft update due to overlapping landmark buildings and our terraforming files. Thus, you will see duplicate buildings, as well as missing areas of photogrammetry buildings, among other inconsistencies.

We are currently working on a separate pack which will be fully compatible with the Microsoft World Update: UK. This will be free for customers who have previously purchased the London City pack. 

Once this pack is released (in a week or less in Orbx Central and possibly a little longer on the MS Marketplace as we are dependent on their approval queue), there will be two products: one for the non-UK update and one for the UK update. You will then be able to activate one or the other, depending on whether you have the UK update running or not. 

In addition, we are planning a comprehensive content update in a few weeks’ time to add some exciting new landmarks to both packs.

If purchasing the pack as a new customer, you will be able to choose either product, though both will be included in the same price, ie. you can get both, pay once, and decide which one you want to run.

In the meantime, if you want to deactivate the Orbx London pack, you can do one of the following:

• If installed via OrbxDirect, uninstall in Orbx Central; or
  • Uninstall inside MSFS from Profile>Content Manager (search for 'London")

Please stay tuned to our forums and Twitter account for progress updates, and if you need help with any of this, please go to support.orbxdirect.com.

Happy flying!

The Orbx Team

Thanks very much, once again, your customer support is to notch

On 2/17/2021 at 4:36 AM, Abriael said:

Question only partly off topic. I know you guys are prioritizing work on the most urgent thing, of course: Is the London City airport add-on going to get updated with the new taxiway and extended apron that have just been opened? 

This may also be warranted because the new update "surfaced" the area covered by the new construction anyway, as you can see below.

I would really like to see EGLC updated to include the new taxiway and apron extension.

Details are already available on the official NATS AIP:

Hwugr2F.png

And Jeppesen:
https://i.imgur.com/CKq8I8d.png

Even Google Maps satellite imagery shows enough to make a good recreation of what should be there:
mjSqn6I.png

Whatever is designed to be put there would be a big improvement on a submerged dark splodge with a tree in the middle of the dock!

Thanks.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 3:56 AM, Piper9t3 said:

The animated London Eye is a really nice feature from MS/Asobo.

Curious if the forthcoming updated Orbx London City Pack (UK update version) will retain the animation?     

Not just that, the top of the post office tower rotates as well.