World Update III and London City Pack

The release notes for World Update III advise to uninstall Orbx Landmarks London City Pack as it is not compatible with the UK update. Is there any comment from Orbx on this? What is the future for the City Pack?

I would be interested in that too.
After Worldupdate III, I installed the Orbx London City Pack once as a test, and it looks awful. Whole city districts and many buildings are completely missing. I was under the impression that Orbx had a collaboration with MS/Asobo.

Orbx London City Pack and MSFS after Worldupdate III does not work!

Hello,

this is the official reply to the first time this question was asked.

Hi there,

fair question though we can't say anything definitive until we have had a chance to check ourselves.

Generally speaking, photogrammetry is essentially a patch of high-resolution terrain mesh and thus individual areas can be overridden with small flatten polygons. We already have those in place for most of the London POI models. However, we've also placed quite extensive flatten polys elsewhere across the city and river to fix those odd bumps and holes visible in the default terrain. It's possible that those will suppress the photogrammetry in those areas.

We'll assess the best approach for addressing any visual issues asap after release of the World Update: patch, separate version, some "hybrid" option...

As for the MS upgrades making our landmark packs "obsolete": from the two released World Updates we can guess their typical content: a dozen or two custom objects, a handful of detailed airports, some general texture and terrain enhancements. Plus, potentially new photogrammetry for local areas. That doesn't really overlap too much with what we're trying to achieve, even ignoring the known issues with the mid-distance display (and night lighting) of photogrammetry.

Cheers, Holger

Given that for most users, the MSFS download is still in progress, perhaps you can wait a while and see what develops.

This is the advice for Asobo.

It also points out what is going on.

ORBX London Landmarks Scenery (3rd party content) is currently conflicting with this update. This is actively being worked on, but in the meantime, we recommend disabling this 3rd party scenery.

The sim update is 23GB and the world  update 3 is 4.9GB. For the record, I also found some small updates available in the content manager for the Japanese content from world update 1. I've uninstalled London Landmarks for now as I'm curious as to what the default London now looks like and to see what info is released from Orbx regarding their London Landmarks.

54 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

this is the official reply to the first time this question was asked.

Given that for most users, the MSFS download is still in progress, perhaps you can wait a while and see what develops.

This is the advice for Asobo.

It also points out what is going on.

Looking at the update on my screen, let's just say the photogrammetry isn't the most fetching I've seen on top of being fairly badly color matched with the surrounding. 

My suggestion is simply to update the package with an exclusion under your own landmarks so that they erase the photogrammetry, perhaps removing the bespoke landmarks that have been added by Asobo. Those are good.

For those wondering about the value of their London City Pack add-on, don't worry. It still has a ton of value. Honestly, I don't think I'll be able to fly in London until it's reenabled. 

I'm also unimpressed with the photogrammetry for London

Agreed. I was getting good frames with the Orbx scenery for London. Now with the update, stutters galore, and London looks like it's been melted with a giant blow torch.  Photogrammetry really needs more time to develop.

I think a note on the Orbx and perhaps in sim Marketplace indicating this situation is in order. People buying the London pack today are likely to be unaware of the advice not to use this add on with the UK update for the foreseeable future?

Since Orbx and Asobo/Microsoft do have a relationship I would have hoped this situation would be clearer, smoother. Especially if the London pack is still for sale with no indication of the current situation. 

Default London with photogrammetry looks like the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust to me, just looks like crumbling concrete as far as the eye can see. I think it was far better before the update just using Orbx London. Photogrammetry (at least Bing's version) isn't quite ready for this sort of use yet. Looking forward to getting the London scenery pack back in my sim.

I absolutely agree with you John.

So far I have always avoided these "Google Maps Converter sceneries. I don't like that and only a few things are useful. Now Microsoft is starting the same nonsense. The result is a "London" that just looks scary and also brings extreme losses in performance. The rest of the England update is fine, Liverpool POIs, but London is daunting. Really badly done and not worthy of an ASOBO.

Olaf

18 minutes ago, John Hargreaves said:

Default London with photogrammetry looks like the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust to me, just looks like crumbling concrete as far as the eye can see. I think it was far better before the update just using Orbx London. Photogrammetry (at least Bing's version) isn't quite ready for this sort of use yet. Looking forward to getting the London scenery pack back in my sim.

I had almost the exact same thought (more akin to those end-of-days type movies where everything gets suddenly abandoned and then overgrown). Even flicked Orbx back on and it looks better again even with the anomalies (I seem to get a lot of weird shimmering in patches).

Based on a 3 hour sightseeing flight around London, the update seems unfinished. You can see the potential but it looks rushed out despite all the delays. The problems with the shimmering glitches and many of the buildings looking like Godzilla has given them a kicking have been mentioned already but how about the incomplete cable car, which starts on the north bank and then just stops, or the dog's dinners they've made of the Cutty Sark and Battersea Power Station? I hope Orbx's buildings can be re-inserted before long, that will improve things, but Asobo need to fix their work also. And was anyone else expecting a bit more than just travelcard zone 1? The suburbs look unchanged from what I could see and still no Crystal Palace TV mast, the biggest navigation landmark in South London. And on a trivial note, the boats are wrong. There should be tourist riverboats, not superyachts.

5 hours ago, Abriael said:

Incidentally, now that we've got your attention, London City Airport is almost fine, but could use a tiny bit of attention in the water. 

1upfIms.jpg

Not sure what went wrong here. Mine (Orbx EGLC) with London addon uninstalled post-uk-world-update looks absolutely fine and nothing like this. 

4 hours ago, paulk said:

I notice the Asobo LCY default version has the new parallel taxiway added. I wonder if this is on the cards in a future Orbx LCY update?

This is a very good question and I'd love to know the answer as well :D

1 hour ago, Ed Correia said:

Great, thank you! 

2 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Thanks Ed, that's fantastic news! Ideally Orbx and Asobo would have worked together to have that available today. But it's fantastic it's coming soon and Orbx have found a way to retain and expand the value of their product. 

On 2/16/2021 at 10:16 PM, Abriael said:

Incidentally, now that we've got your attention, London City Airport is almost fine, but could use a tiny bit of attention in the water. 

1upfIms.jpg

I have the same issue with EGLC, hope there will be a patch soon!

On 2/16/2021 at 9:16 PM, Abriael said:

1upfIms.jpg

I'm interested to see what Orbx do because the water issue is no longer water, it's several new remote stands and a taxiway going down to 27, hopefully they can update LCY to the new layout.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

if you're referring to our initial compatibility update for World Update 3, that finally landed in the MS Marketplace a couple of weeks ago. It should be listed in your Content Manager as v 2.0.0.

The larger update with new objects and further enhancements is still in progress; see https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/206241-london-landmarks-pack/

Cheers, Holger

15 hours ago, Jedi928 said:

We are always waiting for the EGLC patch which one was told to be in beta testing 15 days ago by Orbx!

Beta testing isn't a 5 minute job, they have to make sure it works on a wide variety of sim/pc configurations

Archived