The new CTD issues being reported

As we know the CTD issues being reported recently and ongoing are due to a problem concerning Asobo and Bing Data. 

There has been the suggestion to turn off Bing Data in your MSFS options. This will resolve the issue until a fix is forthcoming.

However, by turning off Bing Data you are also affecting the massive amount of Bing data available worldwide in the sim.

It has been determined and confirmed that only addons that contain a CGL file will cause the CTD, not Bing Data itself. Possibly a combination of the two.

My suggestion as an alternative to losing all the positives of Bing Data being available is in all  the addons with a CGL file, to rename the CGL file to CGL.X or .BAK.

This will remove any CTD happening but still allow Bing Data and it's benefits to function.

This is only a suggestion as an alternative to completely disabling Bing Data and thus losing it's benefits worldwide.

I have briefly been through the Orbx/Partners addons that contain CGL files so you can, if you wish, rename those CGL files to e.g CGL.X and still keep Bing Data enabled.

The list below may not be ALL the addons but certainly the one's I found after a quick check:

ENAL

EGLC

EGNM

EGNT

EGPN

ENNO

ENTO

ESGG

ESMS

EGTB

EGMC

LOWG

LOWI

KBCE

OG20

SINGAPORE LANDMARKS

SYDNEY CITYSCAPE

FLY TAMPA SYDNEY 

PARIS LANDMARKS.

There may be more so please check your own installed addons.

When Asobo/Microsoft fix the issue you will need to revert the name of those files back to plain CGL.

The choice of action to prevent the CTDs until a fix is issued remains at your own personal discretion and choice offered in the 2 options.

Note to @Nick Cooper this alternative temporary option is approved by Ed

11 minutes ago, zannu said:

for me that i bought a lot of these scenery is unacetable sorry. What i need to wait to have my purchasing? i don't think is your responsability but is unacettable..

Not sure why you think this is unacceptable from Orbx, this issue was not created by them and it affects all 3rd party developers using CGL files. Be thankful they are taking the time to reflect on the issue and offer some temporary workarounds. 

Asobo are the ones you should be directing any angst towards, especially if communication or a fix is not delivered soon. 

30 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

As we know the CTD issues being reported recently and ongoing are due to a problem concerning Asobo and Bing Data. 

There has been the suggestion to turn off Bing Data in your MSFS options. This will resolve the issue until a fix is forthcoming.

However, by turning off Bing Data you are also affecting the massive amount of Bing data available worldwide in the sim.

It has been determined and confirmed that only addons that contain a CGL file will cause the CTD, not Bing Data itself. Possibly a combination of the two.

My suggestion as an alternative to losing all the positives of Bing Data being available is in all  the addons with a CGL file, to rename the CGL file to CGL.X or .BAK.

This will remove any CTD happening but still allow Bing Data and it's benefits to function.

This is only a suggestion as an alternative to completely disabling Bing Data and thus losing it's benefits worldwide.

I have briefly been through the Orbx/Partners addons that contain CGL files so you can, if you wish, rename those CGL files to e.g CGL.X and still keep Bing Data enabled.

The list below may not be ALL the addons but certainly the one's I found after a quick check:

ENAL

EGLC

EGNM

EGNT

EGPN

ENNO

ENTO

ESGG

ESMS

EGTB

EGMC

LOWG

LOWI

KBCE

OG20

SINGAPORE LANDMARKS

SYDNEY CITYSCAPE

FLY TAMPA SYDNEY 

PARIS LANDMARKS.

There may be more so please check your own installed addons.

When Asobo/Microsoft fix the issue you will need to revert the name of those files back to plain CGL.

The choice of action to prevent the CTDs until a fix is issued remains at your own personal discretion and choice offered in the 2 options.

Note to @Nick Cooper this alternative temporary option is approved by Ed

Thank you Jon and all at Orbx. I appreciate the guidance that you have offered. Above all else, I appreciate the quick responsiveness to acknowledge these CTD issues which I understand you are in no way accountable for causing. I think this is a great example of commitment to your customers, to keep us informed and offer practical workarounds quickly. It is why I will personally continue to be a customer of yours (alongside quality of your products). I personally will wait for the ‘Microsoft/Asobo/Bing’ fix as opposed to applying the workaround. I do, none the less, appreciate being given a choice, so thank you. Meanwhile the guidance from Microsoft/Asobo is utterly abysmal/non existent. 

I think a found a fix for that. First, make sure you make the paging file of Windows 10 bigger. Next, when loading up MSFS2020, select the graphical preset “low” in the main menu. When spawned at the airport of your choice, you can reselect your desired graphics settings. This helped a lot for me.

Hello Nick, thank you for explaining the cause of the problems at some airports.

For me, it manifested itself today on a flight from Klagenfurt an der Graz.

I'm going to contact Asobo to solve the problems in the update that will come on February 16, 2021.

Cheers

Karoly

I fear that this is the consequence of all this streaming online data stuff with MSFS we have to get used to in future, hopefully not that often. But as so many things for this sim are simply streamed, little can be done by us users. Everything comes with a trade-off, no? Nice photoreal graphics and worldwide coverage vs. local stored ground textures in this case, we are fully, 100% dependent on the MS servers to provide us what we need and to not mess around with the stuff we have installed locally.

Personally, I am not that much surprised this happened, I expected it sooner or later. Same goes with the general need to be online all the time: if the MS servers crash or have any other issues, the full glory of MSFS is "insta-gone". 

Now I really hope they get their stuff together until the patch tomorrow, otherwise we might have another delay and until then a sim without addon sceneries. To me, the really annoying part in this story is not the issue itself (things can happen), but the absence of any communication regarding this issue on behalf of MS/Asobo. Especially because they agreed to communicate faster and more transparent after the delay of world update 3, obviously just one week later, they already forgotten about this promise... Bummer...

It just astonishes me, how did it made through QC.

1. Asobo releases game

2. Makes marketplace for 3rd party content.

3. „Checks” that 3rd party content for compatibility for 2 weeks.

4. Approves that it WILL work with the game and moves addon to marketplace. 
5. Releases update that CTD with addons previously checked for compatibility that supposed to work flawlessly. 

:banghead:

Pro tip for Asobo, prior to release of any update just check if it works with ALL of the addons from marketplace installed 8)

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

world update 3, obviously just one week later

World update was scheduled for 28th of january then pushed to 2nd of february now we are on 3rd release date, 16th, and getting closer to scheduled date of Sim Update 3 which is 4th of march.

I’m wondering if any fix for this issue may need to come with Sim Update 3 instead of the UK update which could delay things further. All conjecture at this point but Asobo really need to come out and address this ASAP. 
In the meantime, I have just renamed the cgl file extension for any airports I’m currently flying in or around so it’s a viable workaround. I did turn off the Bing data at first and while you take a hit on scenery quality, it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting to be honest. 

3 hours ago, Donka said:

I did turn off the Bing data at first and while you take a hit on scenery quality, it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting to be honest. 

:blink: 

Honestly, without Bing data MSFS is not flyable for me anymore, because the lanscape then looks like a default P3d or default XP, although lighting is still superior in MSFS of course.

18 minutes ago, wolfko said:

:blink: 

Honestly, without Bing data MSFS is not flyable for me anymore, because the lanscape then looks like a default P3d or default XP, although lighting is still superior in MSFS of course.

Don't get me wrong, I quickly turned it back on and renamed the CGL files instead but it was perfectly serviceable short term if it was the only option. Looked far better than default XP11 to me though - I was surprised since I had only ever run MSFS with Bing data enabled. It may depend on the region you are flying over though.

I hope that the recently announced partnership between Orbx and Asobo will be able to bring a solution ASAP for us simmers. I have been an Orbx customer for many years and I love your products, for all sims. Your customer support is amazing. I hope that Asobo will learn that they just cannot change what they want when they want, without proper coordination. Even the mandatory MSFS update when there’s a new release is something I never saw in the sim industry. And now, beyond this, the fact that they changes things in the cloud between updates is shocking. 

Weirdly enough, Singapore works fine for me with bing data. Seems for many others too, since there are a lot of Screenshots. Went there 3 times now, with the payware airport installed too, works always fine. I flew an hour over the city.

But eglc and others crash, yes. 

On 2/14/2021 at 12:49 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

these are, as explained in detail yesterday, photo scenery inserts.

The airports will work without them but the ground may not look as the developer intended.

Not all addon airports have them and those that do not are not affected.

See above

Quick test with Dundee and CGL restored. Loaded fine although I got a crash halfway down the runway. Cleared my cache, changed to a default aircraft and tried again without issue. Will test more later but positive first signs. 

There are some issues with the Orbx London City airport/ London Landmarks pack when used with the UK update, such as a large area of grass in the water by the side of the runway and a lot of shimmering buildings among other things. I'll grab some screenshots later. Without the Orbx scenery London looks really bad.

14 minutes ago, BobbieH said:

There are some issues with the Orbx London City airport/ London Landmarks pack when used with the UK update, such as a large area of grass in the water by the side of the runway and a lot of shimmering buildings among other things. I'll grab some screenshots later. Without the Orbx scenery London looks really bad.

See this please. No need for pics as the problem is known about, Thanks

Just installed new MSFS update and was checking ESGG Orbx airport. No crashes with CGL enabled, but huge frame drops ( from 70s to 10s ) + really bad stuttering.

Same also for EDDK ( aerosoft). Which means that new update fixed crashes but not the main issue with CGL files.

when i rename CGL folder everything works fine and smooth. 

Archived