I wish more airfields for FS 2020

franck66

I'm frustrated. For me Orbx,  it was magnificent airfields where I could live my passion for aviation on FSX or P3D. since FS2020 it is a debauchery of big airports for computer pilots. Where are the scenes that made me love Orbx, of course we have Concrete, Orcas and Darrington but where are the others? I don't care to fly an A320 or a 747, I want to be able to fly around and discover the US or others not fly with an autopilot. it seems that there are more computer pilotes (in fact always virtuals)  than real or virtual pilotes.....

I'm waiting OS9, 2W3, 2WA1, 65S, 74S, 77S, 7S3, KEKA, KBVS and many others not yet created

but I'm also waiting some update airports, the best one, those created by Jarrad

• franck66 changed the title to I wish more airfields for FS 2020

Freeware are not the answer Brad, I had many problems with freewares from this website. I'm using Orbx products for many years now, I just want to continue without using liners or jets but still using small aircrafts and VFR flights, FS2020 is made for that !! 

flying above the clouds with this soft is heresy 

Howhever even if i'm looking forward some grass runway seneries, I'm also waiting some small airports as KJAC and KBZN, in fact I'm waiting also the update of the " By Jarrad"

I'm waiting also an update for Australia sceneries and of course for Lylidale, grate grass freeware even if this one become a payware. 

Don't forget the origin Orbx team, we are here and we are waiting with our credit card to use taildraggers and famous classic planes for VFR flights from small airfields to another one

That's too bad that you had issue's with the freeware , I have used dozen's of airports from this site along with AC mods with Zero issues . I use the AddOn Linker that works like a charm .

13 hours ago, franck66 said:

I'm frustrated. For me Orbx,  it was magnificent airfields where I could live my passion for aviation on FSX or P3D. since FS2020 it is a debauchery of big airports for computer pilots. Where are the scenes that made me love Orbx, of course we have Concrete, Orcas and Darrington but where are the others? I don't care to fly an A320 or a 747, I want to be able to fly around and discover the US or others not fly with an autopilot. it seems that there are more computer pilotes (in fact always virtuals)  than real or virtual pilotes.....

I'm waiting OS9, 2W3, 2WA1, 65S, 74S, 77S, 7S3, KEKA, KBVS and many others not yet created

but I'm also waiting some update airports, the best one, those created by Jarrad

I totally agree with you franck66. Strange that there is so much emphasis on airports for tubeliners, when most of the serious tube flyers aren't interested in MSFS 'cos there's no serious study level sim for them yet. Would be nice to see Orbx put more emphasis again on the smaller fields that got them where they are today.

2 hours ago, SGunard said:

I totally agree with you franck66. Strange that there is so much emphasis on airports for tubeliners, when most of the serious tube flyers aren't interested in MSFS 'cos there's no serious study level sim for them yet. Would be nice to see Orbx put more emphasis again on the smaller fields that got them where they are today.

I kinda understand Orbx' reservation towards small fields since in MSFS freeware has become a real competitor now. On the other platforms Orbx still has the advantage of expensive resources like extensive high-res orthos, ObjectFlow, PeopleFlow etc over freeware authors. In MSFS these advantages are practically gone. Also, MSFS comes with easy design tools and a big object library... this in conjunction with freeware libraries brings freeware now to unseen levels. Just take a look at the freeware versions of Milford Sound, Redcliffe or Samedan and you know what I mean. Of course, the Orbx objects are still more detailed/sophisticated but is this enough to justify the purchase for enough people?

Also, consider that MS wants to introduce a "Gate" that will make access to freeware even easier (maybe including freeware to the stream?).

That's why I do understand that Orbx is now concentrating on complex and costly projects - before another one does it.

3 hours ago, Vora said:

Of course, the Orbx objects are still more detailed/sophisticated but is this enough to justify the purchase for enough people?

For me it does but I'm holding off all the add-ons atm, both freeware and payware. I do try some freeware occasionally but remove it afterwards to keep my community folder clean for now. I want the sim to be more developed and things to be settled down so that an update will not eventually break the add-ons.

Third party planes are another thing but I have only two of them (MB339 and Waco) and am awaiting the Indiafoxtecho T-45.

5 hours ago, SGunard said:

Strange that there is so much emphasis on airports for tubeliners, when most of the serious tube flyers aren't interested in MSFS 'cos there's no serious study level sim for them yet.

My thoughts exactly! :)

If an airport can handle a 737 or 320, then it's too big fot me. :D

5 hours ago, SGunard said:

Would be nice to see Orbx put more emphasis again on the smaller fields that got them where they are today.

That is what I'm saying for a longer time now, also in the days when I was using P3D.

Many people, like me, are happy with MSFS being a good GA simulator so I think there is a market for it. :)

EDIT: There in fact are some 737 and 320 airports I do like: Juneau, Innsbruck, Southampton to name a few.

Actually Orbx moved away from GA fields to tube liner airports long time ago, long before MSFS was even planned. I remember a statement of JV  many years ago, when he said Orbx is going to develop airpirts suitable for the NGX. Airports like Bozeman, Juneau, Homer, Yakutat, PAKT, Valdez, West Yellowstone, KSAN, Alice Springs, Canberra, Southampton, Cardiff, East Midlands, ESSG, ESSA, ESMS, Sumburgh, London City etc.

Also the before mentioned Jarrad Marshall switched from GA only airfields to tubeliner aiports long before the advent of MSFS. He created airports like KMRY, Palm Springs, Redding, KEGE, KJAC, LOWI, Felts Field, Broome, all suitable for tubeliners.

And even in its beginning Orbx had created large airports like Melbourne and Brisbane. 

So IMO this trend has nothing to do with MSFS, it actually started much earlier.

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

Actually Orbx moved away from GA fields to tube liner airports long time ago, long before MSFS was even planned. I remember a statement of JV  many years ago, when he said Orbx is going to develop airpirts suitable for the NGX. Airports like Bozeman, Juneau, Homer, Yakutat, PAKT, Valdez, West Yellowstone, KSAN, Alice Springs, Canberra, Southampton, Cardiff, East Midlands, ESSG, ESSA, ESMS, Sumburgh, London City etc.

Also the before mentioned Jarrad Marshall switched from GA only airfields to tubeliner aiports long before the advent of MSFS. He created airports like KMRY, Palm Springs, Redding, KEGE, KJAC, LOWI, Felts Field, Broome, all suitable for tubeliners.

And even in its beginning Orbx had created large airports like Melbourne and Brisbane. 

So IMO this trend has nothing to do with MSFS, it actually started much earlier.

Yes Wolfgang, a well written piece I agree 100%. I think we should all cut Orbx some slack here.

They are busy little fella's at the moment trying to please everybody. And yes I too wanted everything

yesterday. Certain elements of scenery still cannot be used in the new sim at this stage and I would 

venture to suggest you make your presence felt on the MSFS forums and give ASOBO a bit of stick

for not addressing some pretty major faults in the sim as it now stands. Just basic stuff most of it.

Kevin

I have to correct myself; I do like all Orbx airports as long as there are no large terminal buildings and jetways.

Why the correction? Simply because Wolfgang named a few stunning airports like Redding, Monterey, Eagle County, Broome, Yakutat, Valdez... :)

Didn't Orbx work on the World Update II (USA) and enhanced a lot (about 30) of the smaller Airports? I  don't remember where, but I thought i've been reading that somewhere. They enhanced Santa Barbara for example, not to the level of the payed version, but something intermediate between the old "generic only" and the complete handbuilt accurate one. 

Yes, MSFS brings out a lot of freeware, but also tons of downloaded google earth only scenery. It may be good for adding missing spots or small towns, but to use it as airport replacement is just grusome most of the time. And it slows down simulator start time very fast. You really need tools like the addon linker to activate only the spots you are intende to fly in that session. And you have to select, you can spam your harddisk with hunderts of unoptimized GB of Google data, that lot's of the time looks even worth then the generic landscape because its not colour corrected or misplaced. 

So yes, there is still a market for quality updates. I tend to  use freeware (if its good) to fill the gap until a professional airport arrives, that most of the time is better and still smaller in size for what you get. But it's an interesting time. I somtetimes just wonder why converting already made airports is not faster, if you "just" have to replace the buildings and not model them from scratch again. 

On 2/6/2021 at 3:58 AM, BradB said:

That's too bad that you had issue's with the freeware , I have used dozen's of airports from this site along with AC mods with Zero issues . I use the AddOn Linker that works like a charm .

Brad, actually these are not really issues ingame but some sceneries increase the fs 2020 start up time a lot so I only use the free liveries for my prefered aircrafts

On 2/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, adambar said:

I agree wholeheartedly!  We need to get back to the Orbx roots of small rural and regional airports. Myself, I have zero interest in flying the heavies in and around large cities and airports, especially in MSFS. Just my two cents worth. :)

Totally agree Adam!!!!!!!!!!!!

@franck66 There are dozens of great small airfields, maybe not from Orbx themself but partners, but they are still great. I don’t know who is responsible for „adding” new partners to Orbx Direct, maybe @Ed Correia could answear this, but I suppose that every new entry is well chosen not to degrade quality that is associated with Orbx.

20 hours ago, wolfko said:

I hust did a count. Orbx and its partners have released 12 GA only airports/airfields for MSFS so far. This is an average of two per month since the realease of MSFS. Not bad at all I would reckon.

The last small US airport to be released for MSFS was Concrete, back in November, though. Then it just kind of...stopped?

Still I have high hopes they will get back to converting more of those old PNW "jewels" to MSFS as well as release a few new smaller GA airfields, even if they aren't a priority.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:50 AM, JimmiG said:

Still I have high hopes they will get back to converting more of those old PNW "jewels" to MSFS as well as release a few new smaller GA airfields, even if they aren't a priority.

just my dream but but when you see the last products sold, it doesn't take the way...

On 2/6/2021 at 1:54 AM, franck66 said:

Freeware are not the answer Brad, I had many problems with freewares from this website. I'm using Orbx products for many years now, I just want to continue without using liners or jets but still using small aircrafts and VFR flights, FS2020 is made for that !!

There are some absolutely amazing free airports for MSFS. Still as a french person you must be looking forward to the Benelux update next month - there will be some more high quality airports there. :)

Archived