An Orbx MasterClass in Scenery Design

KORDATC

So, I posted this over on a Development page on Facebook, but figured here would be a good place for discussion as well.  Anyways, in the days of COVID, online classes are the norm.  Many online classes are popping up for nearly every subject.  However, one thing that has never received a great online class is scenery development for Flight Sim.  With the influx of new & old users alike into MSFS, I think it would be an amazing opportunity for Orbx to offer a MasterClass in scenery design/development.  A set of professional videos, with each subject taught by one of the Orbx greats, for sale as one product.  A build-your-own airport of sorts that you can keep after the course.  Sort of like a Lego set for MSFS.  For example, subjects could be the MSFS SDK, Project Preparation/Planning, Modeling your project in Blender, Texturing the project in Substance Painter and/or Photoshop (Maybe Corel to keep costs down), and Exporting into sim.  

I’ve tried learning Blender for years and have given up each time because none of the tutorials were related to scenery development.  I was learning stuff I had no need for.  This would be an extremely welcome product for me, and I’m sure many others.  Perhaps Orbx could even host a showroom for students’ future projects (after the product build) and find some new Orbx developers in the process.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Rob

This is the course I’ve been using to learn Blender:

https://www.udemy.com/course/blendertutorial/

It is extremely well done. But, again, much of it doesn’t apply to flight sim scenery design.  And it also doesn’t teach anything about the SDK, building recreation, and/or texturing in an external program (Blender seems extremely hard to texture in).  Would be great if Orbx could release a course that somewhat follows this format (short & easy videos) with a ‘homework’ task to accomplish at the end.

Hi Rob,

I can not speak for Orbx on this one, I have done 4 airports myself, it is a long learning curve for sure. From what I have gathered, a lot of reading and trying things out, I get stuck on something, I do not give up until I have it in the bag, then I go back and re do it again and keep notes on my process. FSDeveloper is your friend, there is a plethora of information on there and most if not all do the hard yards, occasionally you ask the right question and get the answer you are after and that one thing now suddenly all makes sense. I am now using Blender since 2.8, excellent program and is quickly catching up with the leaders in Modeling programs, so my suggestion to you is, make a shipping container in Blender, do it the best you can, apply the best textures you can find free, import it into a simulator and have a look. There are plenty of tutorials on how to get to this stage on YT (Especially on MSFS). Go to FSDeveloper, read, and then keep reading. Try different things, no shortcuts, read some more, do the hard yards. That is how you learn. 

Ahh, last but not least, the SDK. That thing is like a bible, has most of the answers, sort of. Someone at Orbx may like your idea on the MasterClass, but I think you would learn more with patience, and a never give up attitude. My 2Cents

I get what you’re saying, and that is what I’m currently doing and also have tried doing in the past.  It was just so frustrating having to search for hours and hours for answers to little questions.  Sometimes, not even knowing where to search.  There was no structure, and I’m a very structured person when it comes to learning a new skill.  That is why the MasterClass idea came to mind.  Everything all together in one easy-to-follow pathway.  But, we’ll see how it goes this time.  This is my 3rd attempt at trying to learn.  I do like the idea of trying to model a shipping container first and getting it into sim.  

Regards,

Rob

You might find some very good information for beginners here:

The Playlist contains 18 videos covering the basics of scenery design with Blender as the main modeling tool. Although Bill Womack still uses Blender 2.79 in this video series many of the things he talks about can be easily to 2.8 and higher, too. 

Archived