A short note on Win10 Power Management ... Some oddities

renault

The purpose of this note is to document some recent issues I have been having with Windows 10 power management in the hopes that my experiences may be helpful to other 

members.

Issues that I have been experiencing

1)  For the longest time I would be  disconnected from the Orbx messenger system after about 20 - 30 mins and then would have to log back in again, sometimes losing a PM I was composing in the process.

2) In MS2020, especially if I was on autopilot with the A320 Neo, and disconnected it and started moving my joystick quite often I would find that the joystick would be unresponsive for a few seconds and then suddenly come alive so to speak.  I did not have this issue with XPlane, but then again, in XPlane I never fly on autopilot.  

I assumed that this behaviour was simply one of the many "work in progress" issues as MS2020 develops.

3) Very recently , since the last Win10 update ( H2 Windows experience pack) I started experiencing some downright odd behaviour with some of my usb devices , i.e. in the middle of typing my keyboard would disconnect etc. I spent two days with cabling  etc, thinking that I had either a dodgy cable or usb port and was just about ready to order a new keyboard.

What I discovered:

By default, it seems that Win10 assumes that the OS is assigned on a laptop with respect to many of the power management settings.  I assumed that I had corrected for all of this by changing my power management settings to Ultimate Performance which should mean that everything receives full power all the time. Steps to do this are as follows:

a) Go to Power Options  , select Ultimate Performance and then select  Choose when to turn off the display

olwl5FK.jpg

This will then take you to the following screen - select  Change Advanced Power Settings 

IMQAbne.jpg

Which in turn will take you to this screen . The recommended fix from Microsoft for  my item 3 issue  (keyboard disconnect) was to ensure that the following setting was changed

Please note , that I have always done this  before.  This is one of the items related to the "assumption that the device is a laptop" , as this item in its default configuration

allows the OS to turn off power to USB ports to save on power consumption if the OS determines that the USB port is not in use.  However, the criteria for "not in use" seems to be somewhat dubious.

So you want to change the setting from Enabled to  Disabled as shown. Also check that Turn off hard disk  is set to Never, as on my system the default setting was 15 minutes. 

hisAJiU.jpg

Since I had , in the past changed these settings but now found that they were enabled  i.e. USB selective suspend setting was set to Enabled again, that the last H2 Features update had somehow reset things. This all was easy to do, but unfortunately it did absolutely nothing to solve my issues. 

I finally discovered that going to Device Manager  , in my case held the key. 

The following slide is an example for all the USB ports. 

P7I6ivV.jpg

The Power Management tab had the item Allow computer to turn off this device to save power   checked as its default setting.  

Although this is a bit tedious, I went through all my USB controller items and  found that  where ever there was a Power Management setting for the device,  the default setting was checked to allow the device to be turned off to save power. I unchecked this setting in all instances .

In addition, my wifi device had the same setting checked as a default, which explained the disconnect issue I kept experiencing ( I was logged on to Orbx forums last night for over 3 hours without issues).

Making these changes and rebooting my machine I now find that in MS2020, my joystick controller now responds instantly to input, my XBox controller (which again is connected through a USB connection) is instant, whereas in hindsight I now realize that it had a slight lag before when it started. And of course my wifi connection is now stable . 

I hope that this note will be of interest and potential help to my fellow members.  It seems that everyone's system is different , and you may not experience what I  did, but I hope that this little note will serve as a convenient guide to check these items.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Well, I checked anyway, sure that they would all be off.  Wrong!  One slipped through or got reset.  I think it's why my USB 3.0 Dock keeps turning off and has to start back up whenever Windows Explorer does just about anything, whether it's related to the Dock'd drives or not.  I don't keep the Dock plugged in as a rule, so I'll see next time.

Thanks, for the HU!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/12/2021 at 2:01 PM, davenicoll said:

and you may find every time Windows 10 updates it reverts back...

That's what I found, very frustrating..

Dave

Yes, it's the same with my network privacy settings. They are always reverting back from public to private with every windows update. And I usually forget about this and wonder, why I cannot connect to the xbox store in order to download an MSFS update, for which the privacy settings have to be set to public. Really annoying.:banghead:

• Sad 1

On 3/12/2021 at 6:01 AM, davenicoll said:

and you may find every time Windows 10 updates it reverts back...

That's what I found, very frustrating..

Dave

On 2/5/2021 at 11:29 PM, Norvel Reeves said:

Well, I checked anyway, sure that they would all be off.  Wrong!  One slipped through or got reset.  I think it's why my USB 3.0 Dock keeps turning off and has to start back up whenever Windows Explorer does just about anything, whether it's related to the Dock'd drives or not.  I don't keep the Dock plugged in as a rule, so I'll see next time.

Thanks, for the HU!

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

Yes, it's the same with my network privacy settings. They are always reverting back from public to private with every windows update. And I usually forget about this and wonder, why I cannot connect to the xbox store in order to download an MSFS update, for which the privacy settings have to be set to public. Really annoying.:banghead:

On 2/4/2021 at 8:02 AM, bvdboomen said:

I have not experienced any of the above but I will check my settings.

Thanks for this technical note Peter!

Hello everyone 

One of the fascinating things I find about Windows 10  (fascinated not necessarily in a good way) is that everyone's experiences can be so different.

Interestingly, I have never had  the issue of updates resetting the USB power settings. Maybe the expression "Touch Wood" is relevant here :)

However, I 'm sure that my time will come .... 

I have both a powered USB 3.0 Hub and a powered USB C Hub and both are permanently  connected without any issues

Wolfgang  @wolfko brings up a really excellent point that is probably not known by many users.  Luckily , I have never had this issue either but I will certainly keep this in mind for the future.  Wolfgang would you mind please putting  together a separate forum topic on your experience regarding the privacy settings changing with each update.

That would be very helpful I think as it is something which is not obvious at all as a potential problem after a Windows Update.

As you correctly point out, it could be extremely frustrating for a MS2020 user who suddenly finds his simulator has stopped working.

I suspect that someone who has had it happen wouldn't necessarily look in a topic about USB power power settings for a solution.

Cheers all and thank you for commenting:)

Pete