Introducing Landmarks Paris for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

• Ed Correia changed the title to Introducing Landmarks Paris for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Nice, I'm really enjoying these city packs! I really hope to see more Asian cities for MSFS such as:

1. Bangkok, Thailand
  2. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
  3. Seoul, Korea
  4. Jeju Island, Korea
  5. Da Nang, Vietnam
  6. Ha Noi, Vietnam
  7. Hong Kong
  8. Taipei, Taiwan
  9. Manila, Philippines
  10. Pattaya, Thailand
  11. Phuket, Thailand
  12. Busan, South Korea
  13. Daegu, South Korea
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Oh My God !

Oh My God  !

I love when Orbx loves France.

Perfect for a good new year's eve night flight

Dom

PS Everything is astonishing realistic.

I would have remove Viollet-Leduc Arrow over Notre-Dame but after all.. why not !

PS : yes, I am from Paris ;)

Edited by MasonDominique
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Sorry but those river bridges in pic no. 1 look dreadful. Will that be fixed in the release version?

Yep, I have to say they do look a bit 'Fisher Price', though I suspect it may be a limitation of the host sim . . . 

• Sad 2

I'm another potential buyer with concerns about performance issues.

Because the scenery addon market (both free and payware) is exploding unlike anything we've ever seen with previous platforms, I find myself taking a very long step back from rushing into payware as it is currently not immediately clear that payware will consistently outperform (aesthetically or in terms of fps or mystery CTDs) some of the better freeware. This has become common knowledge. 

Is it possible to offer some sort of demo version of these sceneries or provide some sort of fps comparison with competing offerings? I have begun to realize there is an unintentional drift toward turning MSFS2020 into a walking simulator with planes. But that's not why I flightsim. 

How is a company like Orbx going to prove to me I should choose its products over others, especially when, in recent months, Orbx has made a number of us question its commitment to the quality that had previously distinguished it? (Reputation is meaningless when the memory of those new to the hobby extends no further than Aug 2020)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, carlosqr said:

I'll pray for New York and Hong Kong (with option for Kai-Tak) to be included

Oh absolutely, Manhattan would be the ultimate "Landmarks for MSFS".

I remember Aerosoft's Manhattan released more than 10 years ago - that was good at that time.

Orbx & partners can do so much better.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Please guys, don't let this become just another "sim A vs sim B" thread. This beautiful scenery of Paris doesn't deserve it.

Er . . . don't see any sims being compared here Wolfko. Indeed the buildings in Paris Landmarks look amazing. However, as pointed out by Fizzelle the bridges can hardly be said to be of the same quality. They are a different colour/shade to the adjoining roads and have a 'ramp' at each end that makes them look toy-like. Looks like a fair criticism to me. Hypercide also asks a fair question about quality (see recent reviews of Bristol and Zell am Zee, for example - and let's not even mention 'Londongate' - tho now sorted). My own feeling is that Orbx is not quite the stand-out company in terms of quality that it once was . . . 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, hypercide said:

I'm another potential buyer with concerns about performance issues.

Because the scenery addon market (both free and payware) is exploding unlike anything we've ever seen with previous platforms, I find myself taking a very long step back from rushing into payware as it is currently not immediately clear that payware will consistently outperform (aesthetically or in terms of fps or mystery CTDs) some of the better freeware. This has become common knowledge. 

Is it possible to offer some sort of demo version of these sceneries or provide some sort of fps comparison with competing offerings? I have begun to realize there is an unintentional drift toward turning MSFS2020 into a walking simulator with planes. But that's not why I flightsim. 

How is a company like Orbx going to prove to me I should choose its products over others, especially when, in recent months, Orbx has made a number of us question its commitment to the quality that had previously distinguished it? (Reputation is meaningless when the memory of those new to the hobby extends no further than Aug 2020)

That's why reviews exist. Incidentally, a lot of the freeware out there is simple google maps rips with *massive* performance and polish issues. That's what really is "exploding" in the freeware space. 

The minority that actually comes with custom models is great, and some does catch up in quality to some payware scenery. Be happy that you have the choice. 

15 minutes ago, SGunard said:

Er . . . don't see any sims being compared here Wolfko. Indeed the buildings in Paris Landmarks look amazing. However, as pointed out by Fizzelle the bridges can hardly be said to be of the same quality. They are a different colour/shade to the adjoining roads and have a 'ramp' at each end that makes them look toy-like. Looks like a fair criticism to me. Hypercide also asks a fair question about quality (see recent reviews of Bristol and Zell am Zee, for example - and let's not even mention 'Londongate' - tho now sorted). My own feeling is that Orbx is not quite the stand-out company in terms of quality that it once was . . . 

What a strange thing to say. 

Edited by Abriael
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

What is " a strange thing to say"?

I'm not sure what was meant with the previous comment about "limitations of the host sim" considering that MSFS has some fantastic bridges. 

But more importantly, an add-on doesn't necessarily need to focus on bridges. This looks great from what I can see, but it also looks like it'll offer a lot of buildings. A developer needs to keep frame rate in mind and not just beauty. Perhaps they decided to focus on more iconic buildings instead and keep the bridges relatively simple. Otherwise, we find ourselves with stuff that is absolutely beautiful but that drops your frame rate from 50 to 10, as there are some examples out there, without naming names. 

Edited by Abriael
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MasonDominique said:

Oh absolutely, Manhattan would be the ultimate "Landmarks for MSFS".

I remember Aerosoft's Manhattan released more than 10 years ago - that was good at that time.

Orbx & partners can do so much better.

Je suis d'accord.

They have the capacity of creating marvels, and now that you mentioned that I pictured DD, Gaya and Orbx as a team working on NY

Can you imagine the result? :rolleyes:

Salut,

Carlos

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 1:54 PM, SGunard said:

My own feeling is that Orbx is not quite the stand-out company in terms of quality that it once was . . . 

LOL!

Well, anyway... I love my London Landmarks and I will purchase Paris the moment it becomes available for purchase. I have no idea what cities you will do next, but I eagerly await the announcements. When I first saw MSFS on Youtube, I thought I'd buy a few airports but couldn't imagine buying non-airport scenery. Thanks for proving me wrong and congrats on taking your scenery to the next level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seanmo said:

LOL!

Well, anyway... I love my London Landmarks and I will purchase Paris the moment it becomes available for purchase. I have no idea what cities you will do next, but I eagerly await the announcements. When I first saw MSFS on Youtube, I thought I'd buy a few airports but couldn't imagine buying non-airport scenery. Thanks for proving me wrong and congrats on taking your scenery to the next level. 

Oh boy!

I had to Googled your location and zoomed it to the maximum, and move the cursor all around to find it :o

Interesting location.

Now there is no doubt Orbx definitely has worldwide presence  :)

Merry Christmas!

Cheers

Carlos

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2020 at 4:18 AM, carlosqr said:

Oh boy!

I had to Googled your location and zoomed it to the maximum, and move the cursor all around to find it :o

Interesting location.

Now there is no doubt Orbx definitely has worldwide presence  :)

Merry Christmas!

Cheers

Carlos

I am not sure if Seanmo really lives there, but wasn't it something to do with Kiribati being the first place to see the new day that people moved their VPN to Kiribati to get the MSFS release first?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ian St said:

I am not sure if Seanmo really lives there, but wasn't it something to do with Kiribati being the first place to see the new day that people moved their VPN to Kiribati to get the MSFS release first?

Lots of us did...and then moved back home. I did and it worked great.

5 hours ago, Ian St said:

Not a clue :wacko:

45 minutes ago, Gulfstreamtwo said:

Lots of us did...and then moved back home. I did and it worked great.

Interesting

4 hours ago, MasonDominique said:

Hmm ok, not this year, then.

Dom Mason

Nop

It says:

On 12/20/2020 at 2:45 AM, Orbx said:

to release in early January.

The one that was supposed to be released this month was Singapore

But well we still got Dec 31st to come

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by carlosqr

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 9:41 AM, carlosqr said:

I'll pray for New York and Hong Kong (with option for Kai-Tak) to be included

with candles, incense and everything

Yep I'll vote for those two, but after these screenshots I want a London 2.0 haha! Hong Kong is already available from Samscene but I have to say I was a little dissappointed - I do think the base MSFS scenery doesn't help, it's a very challenging area to get right with the topology and buildings, not an easy task but I'm sure somebody will step up to the plate do this city justice.

Edited by dtrjones
  • Like 1

Fantastic modelling of Paris. Looking forward to this coming out soon. Orbx are setting a high bar with these cityscapes, some other developers have tried to create 100+ buildings but the quality drops off drmatically. This is an outstanding effort by the team, well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Ed but just look at that bridge in the foreground there - absolutely no blending of the road and riverbank. With that like so, I just can't contemplate it.

Just not really very good for such an iconic city. This looks like the London Landmarks saga all over again. Apologies.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

We have cleaned up the ortho below the bridge to make it blend in better, if that is what is meant by "fixed".

This is how they appear now.

image.png

Looks awesome to me. Some may be forgetting to "contemplate" the fact that this is a flight simulator, not a stroll along the Seine simulator.  

• Upvote 1

Well as long as you're happy, that's fine then. Personally I think it looks amateurish, bit like the game itself.

But I'll buy it if it's better than the opposing product released today. It just wouldn't be my first choice,  as it stands presently. 

Edited by Fizzelle
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

bit like the game itself.

.... aaand we're done here. 

Imagine considering this scenery "amateurish" just like the sim, when the other sims in the market have scenery that make this look basically photorealistic. 

Edited by Abriael
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Key Features

• 15 high-detail custom landmarks including Notre Dame, Panthéon, The Centre Pompidou, École Militaire, and Église Saint-Sulpice
  • 200 medium-detail custom landmarks, balancing quality and performance
  • External night lighting for all default landmark objects, including Tour Eiffel, Arc de Triomphe, Louvre, Sacre Coeur, and Grand Palais
  • Extensive terraforming across the coverage area, enhancing how our custom landmarks sit within the simulator’s terrain
  • Flattening of the Seine River and correcting riverbank heights
  • Custom orthoimagery patches across the city to cover the blurred-out military areas in the default simulator

The bridges are part of the whole bigger picture. As to getting it to blend with the ortho and those OSM vector transparent overlays, impossible. Unless we replicate those terrible textures on the bridge itself.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3