The A.I. Ship Package V1...just installed, MSFS

Orbx Flyer

..man oh man, does it look good!   I installed it, and then took off from Orbx's KORS, and headed out into the open channel.  There were (shipping, lol) TONS of different kinds of boats,  the same as in my P3D and wow, does it hype up the immersion. The water is now as life-like as the land.   Crank up the wind...get those crested wind driven waves with spray fleck...and have a blast in the Icon.  I sure did.   Everything works, including all ship night lighting. The only thing you DO NOT have, are any wakes. no water effects, because there aren't any in MSFS (so far) as they tell us...

If you want to take the five minutes to do this...read the thread 'in the other place...lol'  and it will tell you what you have to do.  Also...here is my tip, to bypass a lot of frustration and install failures, that some had. 

First,  bring your A.I. Ships v2 zip to your Desktop. Then unzip the folder to your Desktop.  Then, go and get the conversion.exe file you need (in the thread...), and then place the two JASON files from ANY Community add-on, you have...grab as set...doesn't matter from where....but you need the two...and then place them in the A.I. Ship v2 Folder, along with the conversion.exe file you will see to get.  Then follow the instructions on how to drop the layout.jason file onto the active conversion.exe file. THEN...you are almost done.   You have to now ZIP that folder you just did all the conversion in. When zipped,  place that zipped folder from your Desktop into your Community Folder.   Then...use 7-zip and use the EXTRACT HERE on the right mouse button.  When extracted,  delete the zip folder, and you are done.  The reason that you have to place a zip file into your Community folder, is the only way to really get past the fussy 'file too long' hang-up.   Also, some files simply won't load into the Community Folder, if you try to just copy or drag from your Desktop.   Always unzip, or create a zip, and place THAT into your Community Folder...and you will never have to worry again, about some kinds of files, that MSFS will not let you load into that protected folder.  You can 'zip' past all that, LOLOLOLOLOLOL!   So, there Salty Dog....have at it....and enjoy all the same fleet of world-wide boats and ships, you enjoy in FSX or P3D.....

Here's the app that will generate a correct layout.json for any MSFS package:

https://github.com/HughesMDflyer4/MSFSLayoutGenerator

•  

Easy to install....and ya never look back, there, Matey!

Captain O.F.

Edited by Orbx Flyer
  • Thanks 2

Are you referring to the Global AI ship traffic Addon by Henrik Nielsen that he released for P3D and has been trying for a while now to get into MSFS? I know he is making good progress but last time I checked on fsdeveloper.com he said it wasn't ready for release yet, but I could be wrong. I'm also eagerly waiting for it because I love island hopping short flights all over the world and the AI ship traffic adds so much to see to otherwise sometimes boring flights over water. 

28 minutes ago, fabs79 said:

Are you referring to the Global AI ship traffic Addon by Henrik Nielsen that he released for P3D and has been trying for a while now to get into MSFS? I know he is making good progress but last time I checked on fsdeveloper.com he said it wasn't ready for release yet, but I could be wrong. I'm also eagerly waiting for it because I love island hopping short flights all over the world and the AI ship traffic adds so much to see to otherwise sometimes boring flights over water. 

Yep...you can do it yourself...the entire 1,800 ships...lol.   It is so freakin' easy. I just edited my post with the conversion.exe you use.  Use that to drop the layout.jason file ONTO..it does everything in 3 seconds...and you are DONE!  You don't have to do another thing, but what I suggested, to get the Folder into your Community Folder.  After that...set your SHIPs to 5 percent or greater...and fly out of KORS...head out to the channel..and be amazed at how the ocean has awakened!  It's a blast in the Icon 5.  What that .exe file does, is it automatically sniffs out every folder in the V2, and creates for you a proper layout. js that MSFS will sniff, to insert everything as if it were all placed as you do, in P3D.   Ten minutes, from the time you drop the  Folder onto your Desktop...use the above instructions,...re-zip...un-zip in the Community Folder....delete the zip...and YOU ARE DONE!  Enjoy the whole shebang~! The ONLY thing that you don't see, are any wakes, or bow waves...because MSFS HAS NO water effects active. When it does, (if ever...) then the wakes will appear as they do in FSX and P3D.  I have a ton of pics of myself in the Icon, flying over all the boats and ships...containers, fishing,  Coast Guard, etc.  My picture server is no longer compatible with the Orbx Forums...so I don't bother now.   Follow the instructions...and enjoy.

Edited by Orbx Flyer

25 minutes ago, Lee H said:

Out of respect for Nielsen's marvelous hard work on this, his own project, I think I will wait for his official release.

Lee

Be my guest....I'm enjoying now!!!!   Every thing in the P3D package is now in my MSFS.  Finally, the oceans look alive with traffic!  I got pictures to work, once more...so, here are a few to show it off.

Screenshot (43).png

Edited by Orbx Flyer

and one more...same flight...tons of ships!  These series of shots are just out in the channel,  flown outta Orbx KORS!  There be fishin' boats...schooners,  sailboats...navy...coast guard....you name it...I flew over it...lol!  Having a ball....:)

Screenshot (51).png

Edited by Orbx Flyer

The most ships I have seen, has been around KORS and FRIDAY HARBOR.  If you decided to just play around with this, until the OFFICIAL download,  start there, and if you don't see any ships where you'd like...play around with the date and time of day.  I think that has a bearing...  Obviously, this is a work-around until an official release of the package is available.  Of course this work-around for the time being, is not to be considered, a polished and 'approved' version,  that the author would produce, knowing the in's and out's of his creation!  This is just for the time being, to get some 'life' out there, until an official and 'approved' version is offered to the community.

But while we wait for that....if you try the above installation,  make your first flight out of KORS or FRIDAY HARBOR, and take a scenic flight out over the waters. These pics was such as that...  Have fun, until the 'real deal' hits the streets!  By the way, to have water like this, you have to create a WIND layer, and crank the wind slider fully to the right...to see swells, fleck, and whitecaps. These pictures had the Wind Slider about 90 % to full right....

Edited by Orbx Flyer

11 hours ago, Ian St said:

Is it the case that the wake and smoke effects aren't working in MSFS, or did you just happen to pick some stationary ships for the pictures?

The ships were all moving across the strait...turning to follow the planned course for them by the developer...and the best months to see as many ships as you can, in an area you wish to fly, are during the Summer Months, for right now, in December, the Shipping Season is over, and for the most part, even as far back a few years, most of the Great Lakes, would freeze over with ice three or four feet thick!   So,  if you install, change the Month to May, June, July, August , September (and whatever day...for instance try mid month in each...make it July 15th, and start your flight....

Edited by Orbx Flyer

Just as an addendum, the Dev, is most likely trying to overcome whatever it is, that does not have his entire package produce and render all  within V2, in any parts of the world, he has created the .bgl files for.  I have taken A/B flight (A) being P3D and (B) being MSFS, and for instance, where ships would be steaming up the Detroit and Sarnia River, towards Lake St. Clair, and Lake Huron,  no matter what date I have set, I have yet to see any craft or sailings generated.  I hope that he (if that is what is delaying his official release) can overcome that.  I have seen ships (lots!) in and around Washington State (KORS, etc) out in the open Channel,  around some of the Carib, in European waters...but to date, have not had much luck seeing ship traffic on any of the Great Lakes.   So, for right now, hit and miss, I guess, and that is (or one of the reasons) what is causing the Dev to not release a literally---->un-zip and drop in Community Folder...and done.   The above in this thread WILL give you (where it displays to date) ship traffic, moving, doing its thing...but again, nothing wrong with your installation, if no wakes,  bow wave spray, etc.  There ain't any....another MSFS need-to-do...:(

Indeed, the ships look nice and were much missed. A word of caution:

Please be aware off possible stutters/hangs when you have the AI ships active. I also installed them, and read Henrik Nielsen comments (on pilote-virtuel.com) about his progress in the conversion of the package to MSFS. Two main problems are: a lot of models have (at least some) texture files in BMP format which is not being used by MSFS (must be converted to DDS, leading to stutters and ships with missing textures. I don't know if the missing json files normally accompanying every texture file are also problamatic. The second problem which causes hangs and severe stutters on my system ist that changing the time in the sim (or even just the weather source) leads to a recalculation of an new positioning of all AI ships which obviously takes some time during whick the sim is stutterung and freezing.

• 1 month later...

Progressing :D The beta will be sent to test on Tuesday... well if Asobo updates MSFS before that as it is rumored. I don't want to send the the beta and then the next day conditions change....

Below some shots from today; almost everything now seems to work. No wakes for the moment but changing the file structure all ships now display as intended.

21021304074616112917260429.jpg

Morning on the Yangtze

21021304074616112917260428.jpg

Chinese barge on the Yangtze

21021303284416112917260356.jpg

Traffic in the English Channel - spotted 56 different ships on the test flight from Calais

21021303284416112917260357.png

One of many completely new models - Delft Seaways doing Dover-Calais

21021305125316112917260479.png

Another new model - Garcia de Avila of the Brazilian Navy (ex-Royal Navy Sir Galahad)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two days delay with the beta... and the Orbx gave me a small headache... some routes will need to be revised to match the Singapore scenery from Orbx...

21021707193316112917267640.jpg

Those pointing to the right are the AI Ships... now they look good, but they did crush a few static ships on their way to the anchorage...

But we are getting there...

21021707193216112917267639.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Hendrik,

looks great, thanks!

Apologies for making you run circles around the static vessels. I was wondering how Landmarks Singapore might impact your project as I was placing the 150 or so offshore statics; pretty crowded anchorage indeed... :wacko:

On the plus side I've "rescued" the submerged naval port to the southeast of Changi Airport so at least your military vessels have somewhere to aim for.

Cheers, Holger

• Like 3

Hi Holger,

Thanks - I must say the anchorage looks very good and it wouldn't be possible to get the real intensity with AI ships. I have visited several times and the amount of ships there is just amazing. So I will adjust the routes a bit. And the rest of Singapore is also fantastic. Congratulations. I was long waiting for a decent Singapore scenery but this was better than expected. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 2:59 PM, kl791 said:

Hi Holger,

Thanks - I must say the anchorage looks very good and it wouldn't be possible to get the real intensity with AI ships. I have visited several times and the amount of ships there is just amazing. So I will adjust the routes a bit. And the rest of Singapore is also fantastic. Congratulations. I was long waiting for a decent Singapore scenery but this was better than expected. 

Can't wait for this...I mean...the REAL DEAL, from you, the Dev.  Can you please post a link to your download for your official package for MSFS,  on this thread.  That would help a lot of us out to download and be amazed at your stellar work!  Thank you so much, in advance, sir!  Cheers!

5 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Can you please post a link to your download for your official package for MSFS,  on this thread

Better: Orbx could adopt the package like they did with Larry's PNW Ferries and install it through Orbx Central. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Better: Orbx could adopt the package like they did with Larry's PNW Ferries and install it through Orbx Central. :)

Both could be possible... and ps the new version is still backwards compatible with FSX and P3D if you have FTX installed or something else with precise coastlines.

21021912443016112917270867.jpg

Brazilian fish boat

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Henrik. 

Great work on this FS2020 update to your wonderful AI shipping enhancements. It's really looking good.

FYI, I wasn't sure if you knew or not but Dexter Thomas and Jan De Jong are busy working on updating the AI Shipping that they did for Return to Misty Moorings to work in FS2020. I don't have any details on their scope of work and timeline. Dex has been sending me some text messages with pics from time to time so it's also coming along nicely.

Maybe Dex can shed some light on this. 

Brad

On 2/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, ba43 said:

Henrik. 

Great work on this FS2020 update to your wonderful AI shipping enhancements. It's really looking good.

FYI, I wasn't sure if you knew or not but Dexter Thomas and Jan De Jong are busy working on updating the AI Shipping that they did for Return to Misty Moorings to work in FS2020. I don't have any details on their scope of work and timeline. Dex has been sending me some text messages with pics from time to time so it's also coming along nicely.

Maybe Dex can shed some light on this. 

Brad

Yes, I actually spoke with Dex about this some months back, however I don't know how far they are.

Here we had a small delay but we should be ready to release next week.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:24 AM, FireRx said:

any update???

Yes... :D The Global AI Ship Traffic was released for MSFS yesterday. It is available on flightsimnorway.com https://flightsimnorway.com/aishipsn and on flightsim.to Global AI Ship Traffic MSFS V1 • Microsoft Flight Simulator

Please note - the package is still backwards compatible so even for those running FSX or P3D it might make sense to update - especially we have added European ferries but also new sea animals e.g.- Southern Right Whales and updated killer whales and humpbacks.

If used in FSX or P3D then FTX Global is still a prerequisite in order not to have the ships hitting the faulty default shore lines. In FSX and P3D older versions of the Global AI Ship Project must be uninstalled before installation of the new package as the file structure is quite different in order to accommodate for changes in the way AI traffic is read by the MSFS engine. 

In MSFS I recommend all scenery with nice bridges... e.g. Sydney by Orbx :D where we also added a few live ferries to complement.

21022110141616112917275043.jpg

Bulk Carrier in Sydney, Australia

21030708003716112917300223.jpg

British supply ship arriving to Port Stanley, Falklands Islands

21030611314316112917300086.jpg

Cruise ship Carnival Paradise near Jacksonville, USA

• Like 2

Hi 

This sounds good, would you know if it works or clashes with the Orbx Singapore scenery where there are lots of ships or the Channel islands boat add on?

Will be tomorrow before I can try so just wondered in advance Thanks.

18 minutes ago, paulk said:

Hi 

This sounds good, would you know if it works or clashes with the Orbx Singapore scenery where there are lots of ships or the Channel islands boat add on?

Will be tomorrow before I can try so just wondered in advance Thanks.

It works... you might be unlucky and see one of my ships hitting an anchored ship on the way in, as i would need a map of the precise locations of the anchored (static) ships to avoid this, but as far as I tested the anchoring spots do not coincide.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

If you set the Sea traffic settings to 5-6% you will get all the new ships. Ab0ve that setting you will also get (repeated displays) Asobo ships as well.

If you set at 5-6% you get all of the Global AI Ship Traffic - it is all designed with 5% in the traffic bgl. If you increase you will just get repetitions included in the default traffic with the around 15 default models... I have been running tests at 100% to look at performance with full default traffic loads and that gave me a lot of repetitions of the same few yachts and sometimes in some funny places... So I would recommend max 10% unless you use specific add-ons by other authors with a higher setting. I am actually not aware of the setting of e.g. the Seafront Simulations package.

In terms of the number of anchored ships there isn't a lot of difference - the difference is noted further out with the moving traffic in and out of the harbor. But the AI traffic engine is not the right tool to fill an area like Singapore - so the task it to ensure that there is not too many maritime disasters using the two together:D 

image.png

CSCL Vancouver in Singapore ORBX.JPG

singapore orbx and gaist.JPG

Singapore ORBX with Global AI SHip Traffic.JPG

• Like 4