scenery.cfg missing error

I recently moved from a previous FSX box edition to Steam. I followed Steam's 2-part detailed instructions to totally rid my machine of any trace of the boxed FSX. The SE edition runs great.

I'm now trying to re-install my Orbx scenery. My problem is that Orbx Central invariably produced an error message that the scenery.cfg file is corrupt or missing.

I've tried the fixes listed on the forum (replace with the copy in the FSX folder, eg), but nothing works.

I'm wondering if its possible that the installer is seeing all the Orbx files on my computer, but not finding them in the scenery.cfg, and therefore generating the "corrupt" message. My question is: should I should uninstall all my Orbx scenery files and start anew? 

Yes; I saw that suggestion in another post, and I did run it (although, the Steam box-to-steam suggestions also had me clean-out any reference to FSX in my registry. 

I don't have any folders or files named FSX-SE, to my knowledge.

Do  you think getting rid of all my Orbx files and starting over might help?

Hello,

I think that Orbx Central is most likely looking for a scenery.cfg file in an FSX-SE folder and that there isn't one.

If you apply the TweakFS fix, FSX-SE should then look like FSX as well as behaving like FSX and Orbx Central

will then look for the scenery.cfg file in an FSX folder and find it.

If it offers you a choice of FSX and FSX-SE, choose FSX.

Hello,

there is another possibility of course, that the scenery.cfg file is indeed corrupt.

I attach a clean copy for you to try in the FSX folder

If that doesn't work, can you create an FSX-SE folder in C:\programdata\Microsoft and put a copy of your scenery library into it.

Then run Orbx Central and see if

a. it runs without an error

b. it writes to that scenery.cfg file instead

please?

scenery.cfg

I had seen that suggestion in another post, and had already done that, using the attachment in that other post. But, I did it again with today's attachment, just to be certain. No-go. Same error.

You asked me to "see if it writes to that scenery file". How do I do that?

If it helps diagnostically, my SE install is a new one. The only difference between your scenery.cfg and the one I had was that mine had an Orbx entry for Friday Harbor, which is, I guess complimentary from Steam. Otherwise, they appear identical.

Nick:

When (above) you said "...create an FSX-SE folder in C:\programdata\Microsoft and put a copy of your scenery library into it..."  I did that, but I interpreted "scenery library" to mean the scenery.cfg file. Is that what you wanted? ie, you didn't want me to transfer all my Orbx files to the new folder, right?

For clarification: In my C:\programdata\Microsoft, there was already an FSX folder. I created a folder named FSX-SE and placed your file into it. So, at the time I tested it (and now), both were there. (In case that makes a difference). 

Ta da! Geronimo! You are Santa Claus, for certain!

I'm not gonna jinx it. It's working, and that's good enuf! I was a hair's breath from the dreaded FSX uninstall, clean registry, re-install routine. Thank you, and thank you for sticking with me.

Archived