Noob here! HELP!!! lol

Chucky55

Ok...Bit of background...I'm a commercial ag pilot (crop duster) working on my instrument rating. Used  FS many years ago when I got my PPL.  Recently decided to jump in again, but live in rural area and have only satellite internet with limited speed, so have to stick with FSX.  Just learning about all the add ons and stuff...decided Orbx was the answer for more realistic training scenery and such.  I usually google and youtube a lot for research info, but have run into a few things I can't seem to get sorted out and would appreciate some assistance please!

I just purchased Global. Vectors, NA openLC and some other stuff...but am not that experienced in some of things relating to install. Getting around a computer is not my area of expertise...I know enough to know I don't really know much!!!  LOL

SO...

From Central, was asked about install library...here's what I did and now have questions about...I have a 1tb SSD for my primary drive, with FSX installed default location (have read I shouldn't have done that...), then have a 1.5TB external HD I set up  thinking I would use it for Orbx so as not to fill up my SSD...

I chose the external for backup location, and for Library creation, then used Central to download and install Orbx.  When I look at Library file on it with explorer, it shows no files. 

Did Central install Orbx stuff in FSX on root drive SSD? And if so should I leave it as is? Will it operate "better...faster...smoother" from SSD?

Along same lines, for future was considering adding a second SSD internal drive and maybe placing all simulator stuff on it...FSX, Orbx, Add ons.  Is this a good idea? If so, is there a way to move/migrate it all from root drive without having to uninstall/reinstall?

Appreciate any advice!

Charles

Hi, welcome to the forums

FSX does not support the library install system referred to by Orbx Central, so your products will be installed to a folder called "Orbx" which is located in the root FSX folder, but you should be able to move the contents of this folder by using the process in the below topic.

Thank you Doug! Explains why the folder on my external drive is empty!  I am ok with having it all on the root folder, as I assume being on the SSD and in the root with FSX will improve the speed of loading. Researching the symbolic link I read some opinions that that could slow things down a bit, so I will stick with having it all on the SSD.  For the future, I would like to have my OS on it's own SSD, and everything else on a second SSD internal drive. When I get ready to do that, is it possible to migrate or clone (not sure of right terms) everything EXCEPT window 10 from the C: to another drive?? Or will I have to completely start over and re-install everything??

Thanks again...

Charles

Hi

You can clone the entire drive to a different/larger drive at any time using a number of available freeware or payware disk management software. I would not try to separate the windows 10 OS while doing this, as it would be best to do a new install of everything instead. 

Much appreciate the advice!  One more question if you don't mind...

Is there any appreciable difference in speed/performance if you run FSX/Orbx etc from a non-root hard drive?  My intention was to install a 2nd SSD drive and just have my OS on the primary, in case of problems with windows...obviously I have had my fair share of windows problems over the years, and never successful on restore/repair operations...AND, what few times I've tried to install fresh I always run into boot problems...My 1TB root looks like plenty of storage for all my Sim stuff...so if there is any speed/performance issues will probably just leave as is and pray for years of trouble free OS!  LOL ...Your thoughts?

Thanks~

Charles

2 hours ago, Chucky55 said:

Is there any appreciable difference in speed/performance if you run FSX/Orbx etc from a non-root hard drive?  My intention was to install a 2nd SSD drive and just have my OS on the primary, in case of problems with windows

This is how I run my system, I can't say there is any performance differences, but as you allude, it sure makes life easier for future proofing and other operations.

My System.PNG

Archived