FSX locks up after 10 minutes flight

Sirius

Hi all...

After installing Australia V2, I've been having FSX lock ups after a period of flight (often after only 10 minutes or so). The sound continues but the screen locks. After about 10 or 15 minutes the simulator starts running again but soon locks up again.

Before upgrading to Australia v2, I had no issues...

Since then, I have re-installed FSX + Acceleration from scratch several times at various locations in my system to no avail...

I've seen on other FS forums that this is a fairly common issue in the FS world but I've not found any solutions... I suspect that it is a memory or perhaps a graphics card issue but I'm not sure. Admittedly I do run a number of other programs with FSX including FS Commander, Active Sky Next and SPAD.neXt on top of a number of system services.

I've attached my fsx.cfg file for info. This has been tweaked mostly in line with Kosta's tweaking guide (https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardw)

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

fsx.CFG

Hello Rob,

most of those "tweaks" are intended for users of PC hardware that is not up to the job,

as nothing was when FSX was released.

The only tweak required is the HIGHMEMFIX=1, which is not really a tweak at all but an

entry that should have been left in there by the FSX developers.

I would recommend that you rename your fsx.cfg file, let FSX build another one and just

add that one entry before you try again.

All this is assuming that you are not trying to run it on a PC or laptop that is not powerful enough.

Hi Nick,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your advice... I've been experimenting with settings...

I found that running Active Sky Next appeared to be causing the issue as I didn't get any stoppages without it running. I went to the HiFi Tech. forum and they have a good article on the subject. The main results was to change/add the line "AffinityMask=63" in my fsx.cfg file. The idea is to limit fsx to only 3 cores (+hyperthreading) instead of the 4 cores that I have.

Also, since I use the AS Cloud Art textures, I changed the line to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

As a result, I have made a couple of longer flights (30 minutes+) without a freeze...

I will continue to test with longer flights...

Rob

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Full forum Article in HiFi Technologies Forum:

Temporary Freezes with FSX
Posted by Jordan Jafferjee, Last modified by Robert Halmich on 03 September 2020 01:21 AM

Related Product: Active Sky Next, Active Sky 2016 - Related Version: ALL

Description

Also known as the "8-minute freeze", this can occur intermittently during a longer flight.  When the freeze occurs, all motion on the simulator stops.  Sound may be observed still playing, but the FS program stops responding.  Approximately 8 minutes later, the simulator "comes back" and operates normally.

Resolution

With much research and testing, HiFi has determined that this freeze is related to the threading, affinity and the collision and deadlocking of terrain load fiber processes within FSX.  It is almost unanimously related to use of Hyper-Threading, and can affect any FSX installation, including default/stock installations without any add-ons.  Use of weather add-ons increase the likelihood of this freeze.

Since this issue can be made worse when using Active Sky, although it is an FSX problem not directly related to our product, we provide potential solutions below to help anyone experiencing these freezes:

1) Use an appropriate AFFINITYMASK setting within your FSX.cfg configuration file.  This setting specifies which cores are used for FSX.  Using too many cores, or improper cores can cause freezes.  If you are using 6 or more cores, it is important to limit the cores used, as too many cores causes synchronization problems and more potential freezes.  We recommend using 3 cores maximum, regardless of HT enabled or not.

2) ASN will warn and optionally apply an appropriate AFFINITYMASK setting if it is not already configured.  The setting used will be based on using up to 3 physical cores, but depends on your CPU and number of cores, and if HT is enabled or not.

3) Use the UIAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL fix -  http://www.avsim.com/topic/326554-fsx-crashes-when-using-menus/page-3?hl=%2Buiautomationcoredll#entry3122893 (A search of my c: drive reveals several instances of UIAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL in Windows 10)

4) Use lower resolution cloud textures and setting your Cloud Draw Distance to 90 or less.

5) Lock frame rate lower - try setting to no more than 30.

6) Update video drivers.

7) Run FSX in compatibility mode for win 7 (if using win 8 or above).

8) Disable SLI if activated. 

9) Make sure you are running the latest version of Active Sky (www.hifitechinc.com/downloads) .

Archived