Introducing Volanta: Your personal flight tracker

Not sure if it already is programmed to do it but would be nice to have a list of your aircraft registrations and be able to see where and when you last flew it. Some like to pick up where they left off with respect to their particular aircraft fleet.

13 hours ago, B777LR said:

Not sure if it already is programmed to do it but would be nice to have a list of your aircraft registrations and be able to see where and when you last flew it. Some like to pick up where they left off with respect to their particular aircraft fleet.

Have you read this topic?;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is very generous from Orbx. But, on first glance, I am wondering how is this different, or even an improvement on LIttle Nav Map. This existing freeware does everything I think is mentioned about Volanta. Not only that, but users can import a Google Satellite Map to use in place of the sketcher Open Street Map...with that said, I am signing up for the Beta to get a first hand feel. Thanks, Orbx.

Sherm

On 10/31/2020 at 9:06 AM, vtracy said:

Can I use this in VR? All the wonderful moving map/flight tracking... apps require that I exit VR, look at either the iPad or a window, and then go back to VR. Considering the popularity boost that VR will get when MSFS works in VR, it might be worth while to make the app usable in VR.

Volker

Try Little Navmap with Flyinside...you'll get your moving map along side you in your VR cockpit,

Don.

Yes, Don, I experimented with FlyInside. But I found it too cumbersome (haven‘t tried it for a year, though).

Switched back to native P3D VR. I do not feel it is a ‚natural‘ solution; it should be integrated in the visuals.

But, alas!, MS does not (yet?) aim for the simmer/trainee but for the gamer. They will not need a map at all...

At the moment, though, I am fighting with the ‚moving scenery‘ that is, the occasional blurries and hickups. It is

bearable but... Until now, I haven‘t found a combination of settings that let me have smooth scenery under my wings

and as much detail as needed in order to find my way in VFR.

Volker

Can this be used to manage flying clubs? Is it worth to use for LSA and small GA/bush flying?

Let's say we have a group of people and we want to fly the very same aircrafts from a given Flying Club. Can it be done?

Is it possible to accumulate hours per plane flown by different people?  Group fleets would be awesome.

Regards,

Henrique

On 12/18/2020 at 5:22 PM, wain71 said:

right I apologise if this shouldn.t be here......

how does this connect to MSFS?  track but no moving map until end flight......P3DV5 auto connect......

For MSFS I had to manually install simconnect. 

• Thanks 1

I still have not had any feedback of any kind after registering interest back in October.

You would think there would be a project update, development timeline or a courtesy reply of some sort?

Is anyone involved in testing? Or are they only interested in MSFS game users?

Aussie

Edited by Aussie123

A couple of questions and suggestions:

1. Will you be able to import your old flights (even with some missing data) just to have a unified log book?

2. I've seen some screenshots that show touchdown rate. This is insufficient information to determine how good your landing was. Please at least records the following:

- touchdown rate

- touchdown G

- heading (how well does this align with runway heading to see how well your crosswind technique is)

- airspeed (anybody can land smoothly if you don't land at the right speed)

- weight and flaps state (correct airspeed depends on this)

- similar parameters for takeoff (liftoff airspeed etc.)

Hi all,

We're reading all of the feedback. We've been busy in development ;)

We have a few users in the beta - they're already keeping us quite busy with feedback. More randomly selected users are added every few days.

Once we're back in the office next year, we'll be adding far more people.

12 hours ago, pilotjohn said:

1. Will you be able to import your old flights (even with some missing data) just to have a unified log book?

Not at this stage, but it's something we'll consider after release.

12 hours ago, pilotjohn said:

2. I've seen some screenshots that show touchdown rate.

We already record airspeed, ambient wind, pitch, bank, heading and G force. Just not all are shown in the UI yet, but will note that down.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

We have a few users in the beta - they're already keeping us quite busy with feedback. More randomly selected users are added every few days.

is feedback only via DISCORD? not something I use......

If I may suggest something:

I have been using apps like ProjectFly and SimtoolkitPro but a feature I would desperately like to see in software like this

(so I hope in Volanta :):)) is a way to collect all my flights I have done in the past inside a logbook.

I haven't hooked on to apps like PF an STKP so far because I am continuously being reminded that I had to start over while using these apps,

if you know what I mean.
All my flown hours from the past are not in this log so I don't feel it's a complete log.
(I might be little OCD here and there -_-)

I have done a lot of researching and I am aware that importing the X-Plane log for instance is not that easy because simply a lot of stuff misses in that file,
but how cool would it be if I could import my complete VATSIM log into Volanta?

I know this data is available because on a website like Vatstats I can see al my flights and hours (and even details about the flight legs) from throughout my whole VATSIM career.
Thus far I haven't been able to import this data though.

PF has the option to import VATSIM flights one by one so I don't think this idea is totally ridiculous, right? 

Besides all this: I cannot wait to give Volanta a try!
If it's only half as good as all the othe Orbx products I am already sold :D

• Like 1

From what I have researched, it is possible to import Xplane logs into Little Nav Map. This is a freeware moving map program with various capabilities. I do not know enough about Volanta, but LNM works for me. Here is the link to their manual. Scroll down and you will see info about importing XPlane logs.

https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.4/en/LOGBOOK.html

Sherm

9 hours ago, Karim Bizid said:

All my flown hours from the past are not in this log so I don't feel it's a complete log.
(I might be little OCD here and there -_-)

+1 on the OCD and the unified logbook; I hope it will be possible to export flights from the various VA logbooks and import them in Volanta. A CSV importer to start with would be great (I'd be able to construct a CSV file from the data I can pull from the VA logbooks).

• 2 weeks later...

If this is not available to everyone why is it being advertised in a full page add in the latest PCPilot magazine ? I tried to register and it states I am not on the whitelist, now I know that means you haven't accepted me to the Beta yet. But I would only know that if I was on this forum reading these posts as there is nothing explaining it still in Beta or in restricted access on the App. 

Which in the short term may give people the wrong impression regarding the APP which in my opinion looks great. 

Edited by Kwarazi
  • Upvote 2

Completely Agree @Kwarazi

Kudos to Orbx thou - Looks really great and looking forward to receiving beta access (which i applied for months ago)

Have to say though the communication on the access to the beta could be better :) perhaps the signup page should be updated to indicate it invite only at the moment!

Edited by jay4x4
Update

Well not trying to be negative, good program,maybe getting old and grumpy, but all those similar programs made me realise, how much I miss Rex Latitude, do you remember???;):rolleyes:

Edited by wik77

Are there any updates/indications when we might see Volanta - I can't wait to use it, I tried but haven't got in the Beta.

A question, as it links with your navigraph subscription, can you get all charts through Volanta, thus eliminating the need for the Navigraph Chart App?

On 1/15/2021 at 12:54 AM, EasternT3 said:

Are there any updates/indications when we might see Volanta - I can't wait to use it, I tried but haven't got in the Beta.

Very soon. We're inviting quite a few people every day, so it won't be long until everyone has access.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:54 AM, EasternT3 said:

A question, as it links with your navigraph subscription, can you get all charts through Volanta, thus eliminating the need for the Navigraph Chart App?

The Navigraph integration allows you to see fixes, navaids, airways, etc in our map. You will still need the Navigraph Charts app to view the airport and procedure charts

11 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

Very soon. We're inviting quite a few people every day, so it won't be long until everyone has access.

The Navigraph integration allows you to see fixes, navaids, airways, etc in our map. You will still need the Navigraph Charts app to view the airport and procedure charts

Thanks for the info Ben, really looking forward to using this

On 1/24/2021 at 8:28 PM, Aussie123 said:

I have been invited to join and have been looking forward to testing bit I require a password. I requested a password reset about three days ago but haven't heard anything.

Is there anything else I should do?

Aussie

Nothing is happening unfortunately. No response to my joining application. What a shame. . . 

Disregard  Used the same username as here and registration was successful. . . 

Edited by Danair1

I signed up and logged in. It says start sim and it will automatically track flight but it doesn't seem to be recognizing my FSX SE flight as there is no indication that's its tracking. Is there any setup required? How do i know if its working?

Edited by RHaas

Very great thing - Thank you for this!
After starting the program two times, everything seems to work as it should. Though - and thats really strange - in the options it tells me:
"No simulator found on your devices".
I use Volanta with P3D 4.5 on Win10 V.2004.

Thomas

Edited by jazzflyer

Trying to log in after registering, I get "invalid username or password". So I try the "Forgot password" option, but the mail to reset my password never arrived (also not in my Spam folder).

Then I try to register again with a different username, but same email and I get an email that this Account already exists. Could someone take a  look what is going wrong? I used "Do27flyer" as account name.

Thanks!

Robert-Jan