Scenery objects visible through clouds

This is apparently something that has appeared in the P3DV4 and V5 sims sometime recently, and is probably related to unforseen consequences of making the sims perform faster.  Form what I can gather the devs have no control over it, as the models haven't changed, just the way they display through haze, and in this case clouds.

11 hours ago, John Dow said:

This is apparently something that has appeared in the P3DV4 and V5 sims sometime recently, and is probably related to unforseen consequences of making the sims perform faster.  Form what I can gather the devs have no control over it, as the models haven't changed, just the way they display through haze, and in this case clouds.

Thanks for your reply.

I wish there was something that could be done. It's massively immersion killing.

I disabled the the BGL files with trees in the name at EGPH and it has fixed the issue. Is there not something that can be done to replace the trees with tree objects that don't present this issue? Or are airport devs waiting for LM to fix the underlying issue?

To be clear, this is not an Orbx only issue - I'm seeing it at other airports as well. Having contacted another airport developer, they have informed me that this is an LM underlying graphics issue which can only be solved by LM.

This is clearly an unsatisfactory situation for end users. The products I have purchased are not fully compatible with the sims I have bought them for.

It would be better if at least the issue were acknowledged, and if something is being done to rectify the issue and when that might be.

Edited by peregrine

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 7:49 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

have you considered asking Lockheed Martin this question?

Hi Nick

I've raised it several times on their forums. I'm at a bit of a loss because it seems to be a recent thing and I'm struggling to find answers anywhere, or for the sake of my sanity, confirmation by others that might be having the same issues!

Has anyone at Orbx experienced this? It's really easy to see if you set the weather to any theme that has low cloud and you fly above it. 

It seems to be getting a lot of attention at the moment because the problem appears to have become more pronounced on V5.1 when EA is on. I am having the problem in 4.5 and 5 with EA off as well though.

All the best

2 hours ago, peregrine said:

It seems to be getting a lot of attention at the moment because the problem appears to have become more pronounced on V5.1 when EA is on. I am having the problem in 4.5 and 5 with EA off as well though.

As John has mentioned above, this has been a longstanding problem with v4 involving default objects in addition to those from addons.  As Ed has mentioned elsewhere on this forum, it's likely that the issue may be resolved for v5.1 fairly soon.  I very much doubt that LM will return to v4 to try to fix what has been a very difficult issue.  You option will be to give v5.1 a try once the issue has been resolved. 

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:12 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

not much help to P3D v4 but this is now fixed in P3D v5.1 hotfix 1.

Nick,

I'm still seeing some objects, mainly trees through cloud layers in 5.1 using ASP3D and ASCA (EA off). So it's not completely fixed unless I'm experiencing a different issue?

Luke

Edited by Lukehall

• 3 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 1:07 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I think it was only fixed for the EA mode.

It was fixed for EA mode with volumetric clouds. I've investigated in 5.2 with EA ON and volumetric clouds OFF and the same thing occurs. Very disappointing that this is not fixed by LM and the volumetric clouds implementation leaves a lot to be desired. They don't seem to work most of the time when using a weather engine, and when they do they are very unconvincing.