Thinking of going the Asus Rog Strix 3080?? Advice Needed

shane280172

Hi everyone,

Could I get some advice. When a new graphics card comes out I usually go out and buy the best of the best without thinking. Now Im older and these 3090 cards are extremely expensive I think I need some help..

I use my PC for predominately Flight Sim (P3dV4 currently) but will move to MSFS2020 in the new year. I also play the odd game (Red Dead Redemption, GTA5) along with doing some video editing.

My PC specs are as follows...

I9 9900K

Installed Ram 16GB

Antec1200w Power Supply

GeForce 1080TI graphics card

Acer Predator X27 4K Monitor

After doing some research I believe the Asus Rog Strix 3080 10gb should give me over 30 FPS and a smooth sim all round? Again Im no expert.

I believe the 3090 would be great for 8K gaming but I wont be looking at that for some years to come. 4K is fine at present.

Is there anything else I should take on board?

Thanks for reading

Hi,

Personally I would wait for 20GB version of this card, it should be announced before end of year to compete with AMD and it's 16GB Big Navi. I would also increase available RAM to 32GB@3200+ MHz (wouldn't go over 3800MHz, not much gain), MSFS likes RAM and new addons will happily use it.

13 hours ago, PiotrMKG said:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_3090_founder_review,21.html for now there is almost no difference. Maybe after switching to DX12 there will be more performance to have in 3090. We still have to wait for sim that uses 8+ cores. 

Yea I think the 3080 will do it. I am hoping the 20gb card are available for christmas.

Hi

This may give you an insight into an issue that is often overlooked. The RTX 30.. series cards use a lot of electrical power . For a GPU , performance =  power consumption and power consumption gives rise to heat.

"Jaystwocents" video on RTX 3080 cooling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4ha0zsWHw

The RTX 3090 from my limited understanding has a more significant heat sink  than the 3080, but still produces a lot of heat. It also is  physically a very large card , especially in terms of width.

BTW although Jaystwocents seems a bit "bumbling along" in terms of his presentation style , my experience with him for quite a long time now, is that technically he is quite solid. As you can see, getting the heat load out of your case and fresh air coming in makes a huge difference in terms of your ability to get optimal performance.

I currently have an RTX2060 Super 8GB and am seriously considering the RTX 3070 Super. The 2060 is no slouch when it comes to power consumption - 175W at full load.

The important issue with respect to the power supply , almost more so than the wattage (yours is more than ample in that respect) is how well it regulates current, especially on the 12V rail  i.e. is it a stable power system under essentially no load to full load and anything in between .

If it is recent , it should be absolutely fine, but if it's older 3+ years it may be an issue. Especially in combination with your CPU the change in system load for the  I9 9900K & a RTX 3090 as they ramp up and down can be quite challenging from a regulation perspective. At full load, the i9 and the RTX 3090 will need (130w +350W) which is 40 amps combined on the 12 volt rail and depending on what is being rendered and how it keeps changing, this consumption will go up and down instantly on an continuing basis.

The RTX 3080 uses slightly  less power , I believe about 320 W at full load. Both the 3080/3090 use a dual  2xPCIE power connector (your GTX1080 is a single), but they should come with an adapter to allow you to connect it into your psu.

Based upon my own experience and what I have in my system, power regulation and case airflow and cooling, although maybe not the neat "sexy" technical stuff actually can have a very significant impact on how well a system with these kinds of components will perform. I have a Fractal Design case, which is very much like the case in the video with the front cover removed and am very pleased with how well it handles component cooling.

Hope this is of some help in your decision process

Cheers

Renault

7 hours ago, renault said:

Hi

This may give you an insight into an issue that is often overlooked. The RTX 30.. series cards use a lot of electrical power . For a GPU , performance =  power consumption and power consumption gives rise to heat.

"Jaystwocents" video on RTX 3080 cooling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4ha0zsWHw

The RTX 3090 from my limited understanding has a more significant heat sink  than the 3080, but still produces a lot of heat. It also is  physically a very large card , especially in terms of width.

BTW although Jaystwocents seems a bit "bumbling along" in terms of his presentation style , my experience with him for quite a long time now, is that technically he is quite solid. As you can see, getting the heat load out of your case and fresh air coming in makes a huge difference in terms of your ability to get optimal performance.

I currently have an RTX2060 Super 8GB and am seriously considering the RTX 3070 Super. The 2060 is no slouch when it comes to power consumption - 175W at full load.

The important issue with respect to the power supply , almost more so than the wattage (yours is more than ample in that respect) is how well it regulates current, especially on the 12V rail  i.e. is it a stable power system under essentially no load to full load and anything in between .

If it is recent , it should be absolutely fine, but if it's older 3+ years it may be an issue. Especially in combination with your CPU the change in system load for the  I9 9900K & a RTX 3090 as they ramp up and down can be quite challenging from a regulation perspective. At full load, the i9 and the RTX 3090 will need (130w +350W) which is 40 amps combined on the 12 volt rail and depending on what is being rendered and how it keeps changing, this consumption will go up and down instantly on an continuing basis.

The RTX 3080 uses slightly  less power , I believe about 320 W at full load. Both the 3080/3090 use a dual  2xPCIE power connector (your GTX1080 is a single), but they should come with an adapter to allow you to connect it into your psu.

Based upon my own experience and what I have in my system, power regulation and case airflow and cooling, although maybe not the neat "sexy" technical stuff actually can have a very significant impact on how well a system with these kinds of components will perform. I have a Fractal Design case, which is very much like the case in the video with the front cover removed and am very pleased with how well it handles component cooling.

Hope this is of some help in your decision process

Cheers

Renault

Thankyou Renault for your input. My Antec1200w power supply is more than 3 years old. I only intend on having either the 3080 card installed. I will be selling the 1080ti. 

I have attached some pics of my tower and fans. Do you think this is enough cooling? There is also a cooling system attached to my Maximus Hero 11 motherboard.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1 hour ago, shane280172 said:

Hi Donka,

No fans at the front. Only the top and the rear of the case

The fans at the top are exhausting air from the case through the radiator for the cpu? If so, I would consider adding a couple of front intakes if possible. This would mostly benefit your cpu as it would mean pulling cooler air through the radiator and likely drop your cpu temps, especially if the plan is to add a hotter gpu. 

On 9/29/2020 at 9:53 AM, shane280172 said:

My PC specs are as follows...

I9 9900K

Installed Ram 16GB

Antec1200w Power Supply

GeForce 1080TI graphics card

Acer Predator X27 4K Monitor

Hello Sir I would highly advise you to upgrade your installed RAM to(at least) 32GB. Combining that with a Geforce 3070 might be cheaper than just a Geforce 3080.  There are reports of Geforce 3080 cards having issues with very high clock speeds. The ASUS card however has a slightly different design with much better components. It might be the best AIB 3080 card. However be aware there are rumors of Ampere cards with 16GB and 20GB of VRAM.

19 minutes ago, X4711 said:

Hello Sir I would highly advise you to upgrade your installed RAM to(at least) 32GB. Combining that with a Geforce 3070 might be cheaper than just a Geforce 3080.  There are reports of Geforce 3080 cards having issues with very high clock speeds. The ASUS card however has a slightly different design with much better components. It might be the best AIB 3080 card. However be aware there are rumors of Ampere cards with 16GB and 20GB of VRAM.

Problems with new cards are most probably caused by nVidia not giving manufaturers drivers earlier so they could test cards with variable workloads. Buildzoid and der8auer made a videos about it recently. We can expect that there will be driver or BIOS update downclocking reference cards by -50MHz and problem will be solved. AIB with custom layouts won’t have this problem because their voltage regulation is very good. Personally I will buy EVGA 3080 FTW 20GB version because I plan watercooling it and it won’t void my warranty. 

6 hours ago, Donka said:

@shane280172Do you have any intake fans in your case? It looks like they are all extracting from what I can see and it's not clear if you have any intake fans at the front.

From looking at his case photos, it looks like he has his AIO cooler radiator installed at the front of the case. I can't see if he has the fans installed on the radiator as well, or, if so, if they are set to pull or push air. So, maybe that is how he has his case setup to pull air in, and then to top case fans and the fan in the rear is being used to push warm air out. Again, this is just supposition because I can see the AIO fluid hoses going towards the front of the case, and not the top, and I cannot see the actual radiator and fan setup at the front. But, I have a very similar Fractal case that allows the AIO rad to be installed in the top, bottom or front of the case. 

1 hour ago, PiotrMKG said:

Problems with new cards are most probably caused by nVidia not giving manufaturers drivers earlier so they could test cards with variable workloads. Buildzoid and der8auer made a videos about it recently. We can expect that there will be driver or BIOS update downclocking reference cards by -50MHz and problem will be solved. AIB with custom layouts won’t have this problem because their voltage regulation is very good. Personally I will buy EVGA 3080 FTW 20GB version because I plan watercooling it and it won’t void my warranty. 

I much prefer EVGA hardware and have been using their stuff for years. Other brands like Gigabyte and ASUS make some good hardware too, but when it comes to video cards and motherboards especially, EVGA is highly recommended. They definitely know how to cater to the overclocker, and do a real good job of making their cards and motherboards very friendly and durable to less experienced overclockers. Granted, there are other brands doing this too, but EVGA just has an attention to detail that I really like.   

On 10/1/2020 at 3:31 PM, PiotrMKG said:

That would be a great card also for X-Plane.

I have upgraded my system , been saving hard ,  Intel 10900k  , MSI 3090 Graphics card  , 32 gig DDR3200 Ram and so on.

At first run of the new system i wasn't seeing if any better performance in the flight sims , going from a 1080 TI to a 3090 i thought it would blitz it.

I then looked into my monitor, it is a 60hz 32 inch monitor , did some research on the hertz and found that was my problem, if you have a kiss ass computer but a low hertz monitor you wont see the benefits , so i upgraded my monitor to a 165 hertz MSI gaming monitor , now i can see the benefits , much smoother and no stutters etc.

So my advice is , if you are going to upgrade to a better GPU , you also need to look at your monitors capability.   All the best with what ever you decide... 

Archived