Subscription based scenery

Kilstorm

Just going to put it out there...would love to have an option to pay a monthly fee and have full Orbx addons put into MSFS as they are rolled out. I dont know how it would work but since MSFS does a system check prior to launch, Im sure if there was a will there would be a way and in doing so, I would thinkin addition to many hardcore simmers, Xbox users would want this even more so since they will be more casual and have less hard drive space to store a massive library on.

15 hours ago, W2DR said:

What's changed between January 2019 and now? It was a bad idea then and it's still a bad idea now.

Not exactly sure whats a bad idea about having the option to own an addon or use an addon via a price that also includes the entire collection of others. One thing about MSFS is that it up'ed the bar of default scenery. By offer sloped runways, better buildings and a more realistic field both inside and outside of the fence line, as a owner of I'd say 99% USA and Oz airports and 35% Europe, theres a lot of airports I am okay with as default and not rebuying for MSFS. Some of which I brought because of a sale and never used.

I have them for the platform I brought them for but I also have years of realizing I really dont fly into them and thus dont need to rebuy them. At the time most of those were released, I'm willing to bet the developers only expected to sell them for one platform, maybe two once XP11 really started to get strong. So to have the ability to now sell them again to completely new platform users (ahem Xbox customers) thats just all gravy. However, to speak from a hardcore simmer, my purchases will be way more limited going forward. Both on new airports and airports released for P3D an from the past.

However, if there was an option to pay 3 bucks a month to have access to all of Orbx stuff (once again stuff I almost all own for P3D) then I'd do that in a heartbeat and for Orbx they could choose what airports fall into that group. Perhaps after a year of purchase only it rolls into the mix. As of right now there would be about 160 to 170 airports that could make up that subscription base that has already paid for their selves.  Am I going to buy all of those again no. Are a bulk of the current Orbx users going to rebuy all of their current P3D addons, most likely not. Would it be nice to have them all in the sim for a few bucks a month to provide Orbx with a monthly income stream based mostly on legacy products, I would think so. Especially if all new products are buy only for the 1st year of release and are rolled into the monthly package after that. 

Just my Opinion,

Like most things in life, you move with the times and trends on some things, and not on others. Orbx may or may not go down the Subscription path (Who Knows) However, at least it is an option, and some customers may prefer a system like that, others may not. Being flexible is from what I can see, part of good business. We do appreciate customers expressing there views here, politely of course. :):D

it is healthy to investigate various payment options in the evolving flight sim market,

I’m sure that we fully support the prosperous & ongoing development of Orbx,

generally I like to avoid subscriptions - however, Apple Music is one I happily use,

flexible payment options - with an emerging cohort of new flight simmers - may well be beneficial in the big picture.

of course, the sums must add up.

Hi

I have bought a lot of  scenery in the past. To put it rather politely I would rather pay once for a product or maybe for an update than lose everything if I could not pay for a month. I have been with Orbx since they were dividing Australia into areas and would not like to se a monthly subscription.

I think the key point here is that some people will like subscriptions, and some won't. I don't think it's likely that we'd force all of our customers over to a subscription if we had that as an option.

As a much larger example, you can either buy Xbox games outright, or use Xbox Game Pass. It gives the consumer more choice. If you don't like subscriptions, just don't use it.

Archived