going against the MSFS flow

wain71

The flight models in MSFS are much better than the wooden stable modelling in P3D and FSX.  Fly a taildragger? Guess what? The tail reacts to propwash. Fly a GA plane cross country? Guess what? You'll be buffeted by rotors coming off hills and mountains. Sure, there are shortcomings in the models, such as the water drag in the amphibian, but overall the aircraft are close to real world performance, and have a feeling of actually responding to the atmosphere. 

2 cents from a bloke who pressed the button at 1 minute passed midnight for a freebie MSFS

Until they put the TOWER back as in Blackpool Tower - MSFS is taking a 6 month sabbatical - until the X box series X 

is readily available  - just before the sim is ready for it. Even then - I can see the following being the "Name of the Game";)

This bloke has downloaded all his Orbx and Carenado into P3D V5 - added a raft of Freeware Photoreal scenery were none 

exists in Orbx territory - reinstalled XP 11.5 -  with the new Vulcan - have fed so far - 260 GB of freeware photoreal

scenery into the Antipodean scenery of Australia and New Zealand - am able to fly all the aircraft - vintage and otherwise

all over the Earth - and have all the unlimited Internet to download more freebies

OH yes !! - Blackpool Tower is really good in both P3D and XP - because it's in Orbx TE - although I do believe that 

XP TE UK is a little better than P3D

Annotation 2020-01-06 155543.jpg

6 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

I think over time many will end up where several over the testers are.

Having been using msfs since Alpha i now simply cant fly it.

It just has far to many issues for me ranging far and wide from weather depiction to scenery back to flight model.

Many of the issues where identified back in February and have not been addressed.

To top it off the lack of good aircraft puts the final nail it its coffin, however im getting amazing performance now in V5 with aircraft that had until the last 12 months been taxing on system resources.

Now i have beautiful payware airports that are all paid for, beautiful aircraft that perform brilliantly in a sim with a far better flight model with weather i can define properly and storms that look like storms not mobile erupting volcano's.

99.8% of msfs airports look no better than xplanes freeware ones and im generally flying from my large collection of payware airports which all are better than the best MSFS airports.

The world in MSFS can look great from time to time but go flying in Alaska it looks worse than P3D or xplanes as it uses terrible texturing and a mesh model that is worse than either of the other two.

Lighting is the one area in which MSFS excels however with P3DV5 now on DX12 lighting superior to that in MSFS is a possibility in V5 in the not to distant future.

But at the end of the day the aircraft are the difference and with no SDK, still murmours about MS and Asobo not letting devs into the core of the sim will mean it could be well after V5 gets a lighting upgrade that we see the first of a huge number of aircraft already working beautifully in V5.

So why should i go and rebuy a whole bunch of stuff i already have working extremely well in a sim with better aircraft, a far superior flight model, weather that is in many cases better looking(sometimes not) and may soon have a lighting model that will at least provide a viable option to msfs's lovely lighting?

So im not buying anything for msfs until the Dev ie  Asobo and MS get there act together.

We where telling them of issues like how do i set the visibility to 800m, the A320 flight model back in February and they have done nothing to act on any of that.

To me its been quite disrespectful to those who wasted their time and real world experience telling them about issues they have continually failed to act upon art any level for over 6 months.

On the oter hand my P3D experience has never been better in the Labs and Pmdg fleet.

Why change whats not only not broken but is completely superior as a simulation??

I think around here...I was the most vocal Cheering Squad for MSFS.  The alpha teasers had me having to change my shirt three times a day...and on RTM (August 18th) I was stunned at what I saw on the first take-off...amazing!   DId I start to see obvious bugs...sure...as everybody else was...but the advancement in real-world depiction, no other sim could compete.  Even LOD reduced, I feel that position is still there.   Having said that though...with all the CTD's...all the in-cockpit system failures,  navigation screens going out,  Auto Pilots that after ten to twenty minutes of flight seem possessed....has me now putting MSFS on my system's 'back burner'...still being used, for a ten to twenty minute VFR...but then, for cross country, 100 percent reliable cockpit systems....finished water disturbance effects (fabulous!) when at water, take-off, and landing, I have gone back to P3D v5.x as my 'serious' go to sim.  Just too many bugs have been allowed to be passed into RTM 'wild' with MSFS (to date). Not bashing it...just telling how I perceive its present useable status, to date. For myself.   I wish it good luck...and hope it stays around longer than M.S. Flight.  I hope fervently, that further patches will hone out, and weed out the glaring bugs the flight sim is plagued with, to date.  BTW...a tip for the reader...it seems that if you completely TURN OFF all A.I. GROUND TRAFFIC, the static traffic that sits at the gates...it will alleviate at least one glaring and terminal bug...the shutting down, and interference of the G1000 navigation, as well as 'ghost' movements of knobs and dials...that YOU have not initiated.  It seems that there is a leakage of code, that is interfering with your active sled...if that feature is 'as on'.    So try that out...turn off all your A.I.  depictions at airports etc...and see if that stops the 'MSFS haunted cockpit'.

4 hours ago, John Heaton said:

2 cents from a bloke who pressed the button at 1 minute passed midnight for a freebie MSFS

Until they put the TOWER back as in Blackpool Tower - MSFS is taking a 6 month sabbatical - until the X box series X 

is readily available  - just before the sim is ready for it. Even then - I can see the following being the "Name of the Game";)

This bloke has downloaded all his Orbx and Carenado into P3D V5 - added a raft of Freeware Photoreal scenery were none 

exists in Orbx territory - reinstalled XP 11.5 -  with the new Vulcan - have fed so far - 260 GB of freeware photoreal

scenery into the Antipodean scenery of Australia and New Zealand - am able to fly all the aircraft - vintage and otherwise

all over the Earth - and have all the unlimited Internet to download more freebies

OH yes !! - Blackpool Tower is really good in both P3D and XP - because it's in Orbx TE - although I do believe that 

John...as a result of the effects upon MSFS with Patch #2, I am passing for now, in ordering an Xbox X system.  If MSFS comes back to the depiction level as of RTM (August 18th, 2020) I will certainly entertain that option once more.  Until then...will monitor patches...before/after...and sit in the bush....

14 hours ago, John Heaton said:

There's a pretty great freeware of this out already.  Not sure if I'm allowed to post this so wont include the link, but should be able to find it with a search pretty easily.

On 9/18/2020 at 6:11 PM, Ron Attwood said:

While I agree with you Nick, (I've not got rid of any sims...yet) the more one uses MFS the harder it is to go back to P3D. I was never really one for staring out the window whilst flying, but now...Can't stop!

Yeah, that sums it up for me too...

My littlest lad wanted to fly a helicopter at the weekend so I fired up P3D but i it just wasn’t feeling it.  However, both sims have a place for me - still enjoy 737 hops round the med...

Haven't loaded FSX since installing MSFS. It's got a lot of issues, but overall, I absolutely love it. I never went down the p3d path as I wanted to invest in a new rig before buying any new sims. It was by chance that I finished building my new setup about a month before MSFS was announced.

FSX was far from prefect till, well actually, it's still not perfect....

Visited there many moons ago with friends, awesome, lots of entertainment, we all had much fun.
However, that pic you have shown here does not do any sim justice IMHO ... is that default XP11? and you say XP11 looks better than FS2020, perhaps it looks better than default FS2020 Blackpool just now, but that will change I'm sure, FS2020 is a brand new release, XP11 has been out a long time now and has many, many add-ons.

Its like comparing apples with oranges.

Please be patient my friend, if you like Blackpool scenery, please ask for it ... votes count and people do listen.

Orbx listen and I look fwd to their future MS 2020 scenery releases, especially for UK too.

We really are all in this together.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:15 AM, John Heaton said:

On 9/19/2020 at 10:28 AM, appie said:

I am going to give my opinion on MSFS2020.........besides the graphics being very good, its absolute rubbish. It has been desighned for the X-Box and youngsters. This is not Flight simulation but a game for the shoot em up generation. The worst £114.00 I have ever spent. I will not be buying any addons whatsoever. Now I know why this MSFS2020 would not work on Windows 7 ( the best Operating system from Microsoft ever ) because it is APP based. I neeeeeeed the X-Box APP, the X-Box companion APP and the Microsoft store APP to do anything with this. Windows 7 had nothing to do with @88^%&$ APP's that is why this would not work. Even the update has done nothing to address the interface. Before the update I had no problems whatsoever while running this GAME. My PC can handle anything I throw at it and even more now that I built a new system......but I can assure everyone it was not built fo MSFS2020, my old PC handled that with ease. MSFS2020 is Mickey Mouse and a lot has to be done to rectify it. Another thing.....APP's were desighned to spy on us....period. Rant over, i'm off.:banghead::banghead:

Well, wasn't that enlightening. :rollmyeyes:  See ya. :lol:

29 minutes ago, B12 said:

Visited there many moons ago with friends, awesome, lots of entertainment, we all had much fun.
However, that pic you have shown here does not do any sim justice IMHO ... is that default XP11? and you say XP11 looks better than FS2020,

Glad you enjoyed what was my home town for some years - our house was 2 blocks from the Tower and I saw it every day from my bedroom window

and where a white building is north of the tower was my school - which certainly wasn't well represented by Orbx TE - this time

The picture was in XP TE and my mentioned comparison was with P3D TE - and I suppose the apples and Oranges in this case of MSFS - just take a look

at their Blackpool courtesy of BING is a case of dried fruit. Just take a short flight from the airport and see what I mean;)

54 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Glad you enjoyed what was my home town for some years - our house was 2 blocks from the Tower and I saw it every day from my bedroom window

and where a white building is north of the tower was my school - which certainly wasn't well represented by Orbx TE - this time

The picture was in XP TE and my mentioned comparison was with P3D TE - and I suppose the apples and Oranges in this case of MSFS - just take a look

at their Blackpool courtesy of BING is a case of dried fruit. Just take a short flight from the airport and see what I mean;)

I hear what you say John, but in any case Blackpool in XP TE is still not that outstanding compared to what MS2020 ultimately will or can do ... I guess I've got spoilt for the good area's in FS2020 already ... and whilst you think Blackpool seaside scenery is very important ... I'm struggling to find the same attraction and reason why Asobo would super detail this in immediate future when so much else is still needing more attention?

Its worthy of attention sure, of course. ... but ....

I have VFR area's in North Scotland and mid Scotland too, in more dire need of attention from Asobo or others for much better detail, Forth bridges, just ludicrous representations ... as an early tester I mentioned it, it fell on deaf ears, its going to need folk like Orbx to sort out minority stuff like this and Blackpool seaside and I pray they do ... a really good UK POI package would be very welcome, doubt anyone will re do the whole of UK as they did before in older sims, Global wise, but a UK detailed POI package for stuff Asobo missed would be a great seller for Orbx I think. City Scapes as well, Glasgow needs it, Edinburgh needs it ... and of course, Blackpool needs it too ... but important POI's as well.

MS FS2020 at this point is very much a low flying VFR sim, we (IMHO) need to get the low flying stuff looking good first, for what its worth I think MS Asobo may have jumped the guy bringing in airliners of their own so early, especially as PMDG are now confirmed as in ... get the base sim more mature ... we all know it was released early (perhaps) and so maybe bring in the airliners later ... please dont get me wrong, there is still an awful lot to like about FS2020 already, but sim has only been out just over a month, we need some patience, especially for teams working in these strange Covid times, this has been outstanding work from Asobo and indeed Orbx too who at times have had to work at home to get this sim and add ons produced.

That must have taken some adapting.

Its early days still.

I've made a tough decision back in February this year.

After 15 years of FS9 I bought a new computer and switched to P3Dv4.5.

I knew that MSFS was coming.

But I am very happy with my decision. The switch from FS9 to P3D was very easy. The core of this sim is still based on those older sims. I was able to enjoy the new sim within hours. I bought exactly the add-ons that I wanted. Mostly things I had in FS9 as well, but now to a new standard of course.

I use the same key commands, controls, can implement real AI Traffic by using all the wonderful FSX and PD3 AI models that are around, can use some nice freeware etc.

Would do it all again like this.

Btw., only my wallet can stop me to switch over to MSFS ... if I want that finally ... maybe in 4-5 years ...

On 9/20/2020 at 7:54 PM, Seanmo said:

This thread exists as clickbait and demands to be trolled. And it won't age well (even worse than P3D and XP11.5).

I paid an inexpensive $60 for it, and it's a bargain as I get all the weather and terrain I'll ever want for free with that along with free updates that will include VR, seasons, and helicopters in the first six months alone. I'll will bite my tongue on the rest of what I have to say since it obvious to anyone who has been enjoying what is clearly the best simulator of any type in the history of the known universe. 

Sorry but not everyone likes it because it has limited functionality compared to what has come before. if you want a GA VFR flight sim and you want to land at 13,000 airports of mostly very poor quality compared to an Orbx airport then this is the perfect sim. In my view because it currently has no helicopters and no VR ,  it's useless to me and I have parked it hoping these features will be delivered with a high fidelity. 

Yes they are coming and I have signed up for the VR beta testing but proof will be in the pudding and until its delivered for many of us it is not anywhere near the point where I would delete DCS, X pLane 11.5. P3D V5 or the brilliant helicopter sim Aerofly. If and when MSFS can match the fidelity of the functions in this sim it remains to be seen.

DCs,  well that's a whole another story of functionality that wont ever be coming to MSFS.

15 minutes ago, Mawson said:

...airports of mostly very poor quality compared to an Orbx airport...

It is totally unfair to compare default airports with add on airports of Orbx quality. That's comparing apples with oranges.

There already have been some Orbx airports which we have in P3d and XP11 ported to MSFS. And with all due respect these airports shine the most in MSFS. 

Not to mention superb airports which have been designed for MSFS only like Ken Hall's Bryce Canyon.

5 minutes ago, wolfko said:

It is totally unfair to compare default airports with add on airports of Orbx quality. That's comparing apples with oranges.

There already have been some Orbx airports which we have in P3d and XP11 portet to MSFS. And with all due respect these airports shine the most in MSFS. 

Not to mention superb airports which have been designed for MSFS only like Ken Hall's Bryce Canyon.

Well sure it does to me as I only fly where I fly in real life so I don't care about the other 12990 airports or whatever the number is , that's my point if you are not into fixed wing  GA VFR then there is no one at home in MSFS at the moment. There are a lot of promises but as I said before I'll wait to see how the fidelity of those promises are delivered as at the moment it's strength is more a world scenery simulator than a full functioned flight sim.  

On 10/1/2020 at 9:54 PM, Al Teich said:

I've made a tough decision back in February this year.

After 15 years of FS9 I bought a new computer and switched to P3Dv4.5.

I knew that MSFS was coming.

But I am very happy with my decision. The switch from FS9 to P3D was very easy. The core of this sim is still based on those older sims. I was able to enjoy the new sim within hours. I bought exactly the add-ons that I wanted. Mostly things I had in FS9 as well, but now to a new standard of course.

I use the same key commands, controls, can implement real AI Traffic by using all the wonderful FSX and PD3 AI models that are around, can use some nice freeware etc.

Would do it all again like this.

Btw., only my wallet can stop me to switch over to MSFS ... if I want that finally ... maybe in 4-5 years ...

upgrade to V5 its cheese and chalk and Orbx have most add ons working now.

18 hours ago, wolfko said:

There already have been some Orbx airports which we have in P3d and XP11 ported to MSFS. And with all due respect these airports shine the most in MSFS. 

It is absolutely fair to compare them when you are making a personal decision about which flight simulator to use. Whether they are default or not is totally irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

It is absolutely fair to compare them when you are making a personal decision about which flight simulator to use. Whether they are default or not is totally irrelevant.

This is precisely the problem , people judge MSFS or whatever they use on their own value set which may be very limited to say the least.  

Archived