Nvidia RTX 3080 approximately 24% faster than 2080 ti in MSFS (Digital Foundry)

Seanmo

Note that their testing was done just hours before the performance patch was released. But presumably the patch will improve performance fairly equally between the two cards.

But anyone thinking they will got a 50% or more increase in FPS with a 3080 are sadly mistaken. My 2060 is fine; I'm not wasting $799 that's for sure!

Tried to buy one today. Refreshing for 3 mins, page swapped from notify me to out of stock! Never even got a chance to get one in the basket. Looks like lots of third party cards will be available in the next few days mind you but starting to think I’ll hold off for the AMD cpu and gpu announcements first. All the benchmarks at higher resolutions are showing more than double my 2070. 

I'm holding out for the RTX 3090 24GB for my 4K high setting usage ... an RTX 3080 would be fine, but on a Titan X 12 GB already, its been a while, time is right to splash some cash on an RTX3090, due out next week, but might be a month or so later before I can buy one, but thats what I'm aiming for GPU wise and upgrading CPU and motherboard in early 2021.

Seano, everyone remember too, this was a FS2020 4K test, if you look at this or similar tests sub 4K, its a different story. and as you say, before latests patch to sim.

This is a fair leap from old Nvidia gen, still holding out for RTX3090 24GB for my 4K though, perhaps tail end of this year once demands meets supply.

On 9/16/2020 at 11:29 PM, PiotrMKG said:

Hold Your horses/wallets. Until MFS switches to DX12 there is no point in buying 3080 if You happen to have 2080Ti. https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_3080_founder_review,21.html

DX12 should happen for MS FS2020, but no guarantee, we presume this because X Box console has it in specs, FSX was due DX10 ... but it was only partial DX10, MS only offered DX 10 preview that took Steves DX10 fixer a while to sort out.

No taking away these new cards grunt though, with or without RTX and I certainly will not be using RTX performance limitation gimmickry in few games i don't own, that support it :)

I don't have a 2080 TI ... I have Titan X Pascal 12 GB that is about a little faster than a good GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB ... I've been patient, skipped a gen, its the RTX 3090 24GB for me, RTX will be switched off, oh yes :)

3 hours ago, PiotrMKG said:

I have a feeling that 3090 will be maybe +5fps faster than 3080 due to how this game is coded. 

I think it will be a lot more FPS at 4K and also once we get FS2020 VR ... its being worked upon as we type, FS2020 eats vram at very high resolutions, the 3080 is IMHO an early stop gap card, there will be Ti versions with 3080 20GB vram later, perhaps next year and depending how AMD respond, but I've waited a long time, is going to be hard to resist the 24GB RTX for my 4K usage.

I'm going for the RTX 3090 24GB mate, not hesitating :)

I know what I'm doing and my current CPU speed wont bottleneck an RTX 3090 24GB at 4K

FS2020 likes GPU's with lots of vram a lot, and higher resolution we go, as we inevitably will with Flight sim needs for all genre, such powerful graphic cards are not glitz, they are there for a reason ... its a shame they are so expensive :(

Mine will be a rare treat and will keep me going several years I'm sure.

There is certainly no need to make a decision right now. They are as hard to get as a PS5 pre-order right now anyway. I believe AMD are announcing new CPU's early Oct and their GPU's late Oct. Lots more choice.

Finally the hardware review channels on YouTube are finally including a flight sim (MSFS 2020) in their benchmarks so wait to see what the 3090 and the next gen AMD results return.

I'll stick to my 1080Ti Extreme and 4th gen i7 @ 1080p for the moment. I'm getting good performance with settings at high. Hopefully there will be a 3080Ti released next spring/summer along with a DX12 update to also throw into the mix. I'm thinking that should be a great time to commit to building my next PC. I am hoping for an improvement in 2160p performance over what I currently experience in 1080p and blistering 1440p performance. 

Hi there,

what do you think: For the new MSFS I want to afford a new PC within the next weeks. The GPU will be the Geforce RTX 3080 but I am not quite sure if I should wait for the announced 20 GB Version But this will probably take some more months until it will be released. As Orbx recommends 11 GB of VRAM for their TE HD sceneries I wonder if the 10 GB 3080 will be sufficient fur upcoming scenery projects.

Maybe also someone of Orbx crew can reply to my question.

Thanks and best regards

Christian

Hello,

my own opinion is that it will be better to wait until the full range of 30 series cards is released

before making any decisions. My money is where my mouth is, as the saying goes.

I recently upgraded the motherboard, CPU and RAM but not the graphics card for this exact reason.

The graphics card is doing fine with the better hardware to feed it.

I tested the 3080 for a local outfit here in Perth, who were curious as to the performance gain for FlightSims, 20% gain on my Rig with MS2020, closer to 30% gain with P3DV5 and Xplane.

I will be sticking to my card until there is enough of an improvement. Also to mention, the 3080 was a Founders Card, so not bad I guess, I usually stay away from those. Interesting times for the Sim Community :)

19 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

I tested the 3080 for a local outfit here in Perth, who were curious as to the performance gain for FlightSims, 20% gain on my Rig with MS2020, closer to 30% gain with P3DV5 and Xplane.

I will be sticking to my card until there is enough of an improvement. Also to mention, the 3080 was a Founders Card, so not bad I guess, I usually stay away from those. Interesting times for the Sim Community :)

Thanks for your input Richard. Most informative and indeed most interesting times. :)

On 9/19/2020 at 11:15 AM, B12 said:

I think it will be a lot more FPS at 4K and also once we get FS2020 VR ... its being worked upon as we type, FS2020 eats vram at very high resolutions, the 3080 is IMHO an early stop gap card, there will be Ti versions with 3080 20GB vram later, perhaps next year and depending how AMD respond, but I've waited a long time, is going to be hard to resist the 24GB RTX for my 4K usage.

I'm going for the RTX 3090 24GB mate, not hesitating :)

I know what I'm doing and my current CPU speed wont bottleneck an RTX 3090 24GB at 4K

FS2020 likes GPU's with lots of vram a lot, and higher resolution we go, as we inevitably will with Flight sim needs for all genre, such powerful graphic cards are not glitz, they are there for a reason ... its a shame they are so expensive :(

Mine will be a rare treat and will keep me going several years I'm sure.

Not even 5fps faster @4K, https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_3090_founder_review,21.html so 3090 is for those who play @8K

1 hour ago, PiotrMKG said:

Not even 5fps faster @4K, https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_3090_founder_review,21.html so 3090 is for those who play @8K

If you run the sim at 50 FPS, 5 FPS faster mean an increase of 10 %. Not bad, eh? If you run the sim at 30 FPS it is even ancrease of about 17 %. B)

46 minutes ago, wolfko said:

If you run the sim at 50 FPS, 5 FPS faster mean an increase of 10 %. Not bad, eh? If you run the sim at 30 FPS it is even ancrease of about 17 %. B)

If you run the simulator at a locked frame rate, it means an increase of 0%.

I would agree that the best solution would be to wait and see if Nvidia choose

to add another 10GB of RAM to the 3080.

Unless of course, money means nothing, or one has just won a lottery.

59 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

If you run the simulator at a locked frame rate, it means an increase of 0%.

Exactly.

With my last post I actually only wanted to express that stating an increase with a plain number doesn't say anything, if the basis is not known. Using a percentage had more significance.

In any case, and reading between the lines of these few new unobtanium cards, there are some alarming examples of failures already, fingers are being pointed at outsourced factorys in far east with poorer than others QC and some enthusiasts already identifying the problems on the cards PCB.

Now does not seem to be a good time to be panic buying or even pre-ordering a new Nvidia RTX 3xxx series card, better 3080 TI's with more memory will come later in year or early next I'm sure, might be called Supers? Nvidia do stupid marketing tricks ... I just dont trust them anymore for early launches.

This whole RTX 3xxx launch has been a disaster of epic proportions, price gouging left right and centre by legit company's like OcUK too already, bots have been allowed to buy multiple cards ahead of anyone on even fastest bandwidth and then go on to try sell sell them on Ebay the same day ... one guy was selling two ... please don't tell me he never had access to a buying bot hack or previous access to inventory allocations ... I smell a rat :(

I'm not joking, one RTX3080 10GB I was watching that was sold to him by UK company OcUK sold for a ludicrous on Ebay price of ... wait for it 
£66,500.00 ... postage was economy at £9.99 ... I'm not joking, there are lots of examples of this on Ebay just now for these new cards.

I like to think this was scammers scamming a scammer, but all partys had good 100% feedback ranging in mid 80's areas, probable throw away Ebay accounts? absolute nonsense though, and nobody is paying that £66,500.00 + £9.99 economy delivery either I'm sure?
But it makes a mockery of Ebay I use regularly that they let this scamming and stupidity happen ... where does it end?

Lots more examples with pictures of OcUK receipts of 2 sales and more from same person on Ebay for ridiculous prices, this has been Nvidia's most disastrous launch ever.

And now reports of faulty parts as well on some cards.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-XC3-BLACK-GAMING-10GB-Ray-Tracing-Graphics-Card/124343878075

Here is another live auction of a Gigabyte RTX 3080 10GB with a day or so to go ... Ebay dont care, they get a cut of it anyone is stupid enough to pay the price ... its £65,100.00 and counting just now ... i've a good mind to go on and bid 50 billion or something, but really do treasure my 15 year 100% positive feedback there to chance it :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIGABYTE-GeForce-RTX-3080-10GB-GAMING/324303191861?hash=item4b81f9ff35:g:9zMAAOSwB3VfaLKe

They ain’t selling for that price, it is just being done to ruin the auction for the scalpers. There are loads for buy it now prices ~ £1200 that aren’t selling. 
The sensible thing is to wait for big navi prices/stock/reviews before doing anything. 

1 hour ago, Donka said:

They ain’t selling for that price, it is just being done to ruin the auction for the scalpers. There are loads for buy it now prices ~ £1200 that aren’t selling. 
The sensible thing is to wait for big navi prices/stock/reviews before doing anything. 

I know Donka, but the fact its allowed and its been reported to Ebay and they allow it to continue is terrible practise, and then we have the initial purchases made by bots that those sellers, some of them selling two or more must have been a part of ... it just reeks.

I've made a complaint to Ebay about it and also to OcUK of whom I'm a customer .... or was .... where I spotted one guy selling 2 RTX3080 10GB with their sales receipts as proof of purchase ... you had more luck winning the lottery than winning one of those cards by legitimate means the moment they went on sale, but one guy and others managed to score 2 or more there that went straight to Ebay ... I smell a rat.

I'm waiting for the dust to settle, but oh dearrie me, worst Nvidia launch ever by far :)

Yup, I tried to purchase on launch day and missed out but I wasn’t too fussed as my RTX 2070 is working fine for now, even though I’m gpu bound in MSFS. Will definitely be purchasing an upgrade before the end of the year so in a way I’m glad I’m forced to see what comes with AMD. 

1 hour ago, PiotrMKG said:

Beta testing on living organism one more time https://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-nvidia-rtx-3080-capacitor-caused-crashes Us consumers are more and more frequently being beta testers in sake for faster profit.

PiotrMKG ... I agree, this launch has been nothing short of crazy, been hearing about these poor quality components on some cards, its just been rushed out the door with hardly any stock and just makes Nvidia look silly IMHO, the sooner they get some serious competition the better.

Have a Titan XP 12 GB here and its doing OK with FS2020 at 4K, am going to wait until a lot of dust has settled and better specced guaranteed reliable cards get released, ideally an RTX 3080 Ti with 20 GB would keep me going the three years my Titan X has, am prepared to wait for that, we all know its going to happen, also, we'll see what AMD come up with soon, part of me tells me Nvidia knows already its going to be strong, hence this rushed release to try steal some of their thunder.

Who knows? We'll see.

Archived