The X news is out

John Heaton

Besides myself - I know this OFFICIAL news will excite Orbx Flyer :D - I hope Orbx have 

worked out - how to prepare addons for this huge market of potential Flight simmers

The new X Box Series X will be available on the 10th of November - at a price of $499.99

A smaller spec version - X Box Series S - is also announced - at $299.99 - on the 10th Nov

Games pass details are changed and the consoles can be bought on a monthly payment 

Interested - go 

4 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Besides myself - I know this OFFICIAL news will excite Orbx Flyer :D - I hope Orbx have 

worked out - how to prepare addons for this huge market of potential Flight simmers

The new X Box Series X will be available on the 10th of November - at a price of $499.99

A smaller spec version - X Box Series S - is also announced - at $299.99 - on the 10th Nov

Games pass details are changed and the consoles can be bought on a monthly payment 

Interested - go 

SOLD!  SOLD!  Thanks for the FYI! For the price of one 3070 card...you get a truly portable ENTIRE system, that will fire MSFS at full Ultra.  Sold, baby! This is going to stay by the 65 inch, and out into the Travel Trailer,  etc.  A great price...MS is gonna kill it with that price indexing! 

39 minutes ago, W2DR said:

How do you fly an airplane with an X-Box controller? I know nothing about X-Boxes. Can other controllers, e.g., a joystick be added/used?..........Doug

I fly on X Box One with a Thrustmaster  Hotas specially made for X Box - and read this that Honeycombe sent me

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/02/designed-for-xbox-new-look-continuous-compatibility/

Marizio beat me to it whilst I was replying - that is my Thrustmaster for Aces 7 flight games Sim - but for X BOX One

the controller in the pic is for PS4

URL extract from Sam.jpg

Thrustmaster for X Box.jpg

I dont foresee myself needing or using an XBox but it is great news to see that there is available hardware controls with more to come. This will greatly increase the chances of more gamers becoming hardcore or active simmers who support the addon developers in doing so.

9 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

Why is any of this in the Orbx forums? At best it should be in a MSFS forum on AVSIM or somewhere.

As Nick pointed out - its hardware and Tech talk - and maybe I should have placed it in that section

However - it is also in accordance with the rules of General Discussion ---  " also to discuss flight simulation, aviation and flying in general."

and in my belief -  as a long time flight simmer - an addition to the experience can be gained 

by those - like me - who cant afford around $A4500 for an all singing dancing computer - but maybe $A750

for a piece of hardware that that will play the sim equally well - and is able to use one's existing peripherals. - 

namely the X Box Series X !!

13 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

Why is any of this in the Orbx forums? At best it should be in a MSFS forum on AVSIM or somewhere.

Why do you feel your take on forum content, should filter it out for anybody else that obviously that attends this forum IS interested---> by the fact they are posting to the thread.  If you're personally NOT interested in this .....move on..pass the thread by...simple, no more personal irritation....

9 hours ago, Donka said:

I’m still sceptical about how well it will compare with the pc version and even when it will release but always good to have more platforms to increase exposure and the community.

It's the same version...because it is an XPA title.  Whatever you see in your version, will be exactly what you will see, running on the Xbox X 'system'.  Why would it need to be dumbed down, or less in features than people running the PC version on absolute minimum specs?  It will be the same...but you will be able to run MSFS at full game-ultra settings, and not dog it down.  I'm keeping my desktop 'status quo'..no longer interested in getting the RTX3070 (still at only 8GB of Vram) and will buy this entire system, for the price of that one card.  Totally makes sense in good money, following good expectations.

1 hour ago, Orbx Flyer said:

It's the same version...because it is an XPA title.  Whatever you see in your version, will be exactly what you will see, running on the Xbox X 'system'.  Why would it need to be dumbed down, or less in features than people running the PC version on absolute minimum specs?  It will be the same...but you will be able to run MSFS at full game-ultra settings, and not dog it down.  I'm keeping my desktop 'status quo'..no longer interested in getting the RTX3070 (still at only 8GB of Vram) and will buy this entire system, for the price of that one card.  Totally makes sense in good money, following good expectations.

Same version I know but beyond that, we simply don’t know how it will look and perform. It should look good and perform well but that is merely an assumption just now. The hardware compatibility will be a variance for sure. Basic flight controls will be supported but will all the high end hotas systems be supported? TrackIR? Stream deck or button boxes? We do need to wait and see. We also have a release date for the Xbox’s but no release date for MSFS on that platform yet. It could be a while away yet although I imagine they would want it released as close to the hardware launch as possible. While undoubtedly powerful, there are still some limitations with the new consoles. 

11 hours ago, Kilstorm said:

I dont foresee myself needing or using an XBox but it is great news to see that there is available hardware controls with more to come. This will greatly increase the chances of more gamers becoming hardcore or active simmers who support the addon developers in doing so.

Just an example - I am the owner of the current X BOX and thinking of upgrading to the more powerful

series X - and also a gamer who plays Aces - flying my F16 - using my Thrustmaster Hotas X box controller.

Sooohh - why don't I try this new MSFS that everyone is talking about -  on my new X Box??- and try proper flying

like my dad did on something called FSX on his computer

It wont cost me a cent - because its an Microsoft XPA marked Game - and I have a Games Pass !!

The market for console games is much larger than for  the pc game. An important aspect maybe to consider is also that some games ported on a console could have more difficulty to be played on a game pad or without a mouse, but in general it's only a matter to get used to a new interface for a game. That machine is really powerful and the OS for the consoles is designed to play games, it's optimized. I don't know a lot about this new console but i am pretty optimist that with the flight simulator it's able to give you satisfaction. They play it with XBox One that's not comparable with the new machine, really. Personally, i will wait 10th november, i haven't installed the simulator on my pc, that's not bad at all anyway.

It seems to me there is a massive advantage to running this on something like an XBox over running it on a PC. I don't know much at all about consoles in general but surely an XBox is much more of a closed system, which means it's going to work pretty much the same on everyone's XBox because they all have exactly the same hardware and software, with less (or no) potential to mess things by fiddling. And it's going to stay that way because we're not running and constantly adding or removing unrelated bits of software. It has long been abundantly clear that home computers are not equivalent to simple home appliances, however much Microsoft on Apple would like us to believe they are. An XBox is closer to that model as a game platform.

Of course there is a down side, which is that to keep it a closed platform you need to regulate the addons. I'm willing to accept that for a reliable, well-performing system that works in a way that is compelling to use. That stops short of using an XBox controller to fly, but I might settle for a single screen display with TrackIR and proper flight controls.

Yes, a lot of advantages to a powerful console like this for casual flying in FS2020, but still no idea if Orbx or other add ons would be available for it and if there was, would there be a discount for those that bought for the PC version? Hardware too, good to see it can support some basic HOTAS and pedals, but myself like others have invested heavily in more exotic TM/Virpil/Honeycomb controllers and much more, would that work too?, could be a pain swapping them even if it did for my case because of carefully routed USB cables and suchlike.

I'm always going to need a well specced PC for flight sim especially and the luxury of just surfing the net, doing work, usual social media like FB and so on, but a console like this with its OS dedicated to gaming is quite appealing as a secondary games machine, all depends what other titles were available for this before I laid down the cash for one too.

Looks impressive at that price, will be watching relevant FS2020 reviews on it for sure.

2 hours ago, B12 said:

Yes, a lot of advantages to a powerful console like this for casual flying in FS2020, but still no idea if Orbx or other add ons would be available for it and if there was, would there be a discount for those that bought for the PC version? Hardware too, good to see it can support some basic HOTAS and pedals, but myself like others have invested heavily in more exotic TM/Virpil/Honeycomb controllers and much more, would that work too?, could be a pain swapping them even if it did for my case because of carefully routed USB cables and suchlike.

I'm always going to need a well specced PC for flight sim especially and the luxury of just surfing the net, doing work, usual social media like FB and so on, but a console like this with its OS dedicated to gaming is quite appealing as a secondary games machine, all depends what other titles were available for this before I laid down the cash for one too.

Looks impressive at that price, will be watching relevant FS2020 reviews on it for sure.

@ B12 et al 

Why worry whether Orbx will give discounts for port overs ??   - I have a raft of Orbx add-ons - but I wouldn't care 

for one moment - if the case happened - that Orbx will be able to produce add-ons for the X Box.

I will be first in the Queue for them with my plastic - as I will be with some of my aircrafts if it is possible to add them on.

With the entrepreneurial skills of management - like it's founder - JV - Orbx will  find the way - and MS just loves the 

principal of DLC continuance of the Market.

I am a devout X boxer -and I do want MSFS to be a success - if only for the long term future of Flight Simming through being in another 

hardware situation and Market potential - The success of the Aces flight game - space games  -  and  on the PS4 as well - indicates that

this might be just so.

Gamers just love the brilliant use of scenery and colour - e.g. space flight games  - and we rarely see such errors that are all over  the place in MSFS -

and where Orbx has jumped in - and found a new market for its skills. It really was to be expected - Asobo - long time producers of

Gaming software - have stepped into a new world of constant scenery movement  - new Vehicles - and in partial real time - integrating

into the new age of streaming - high resolution - high speeds (Forza / F1) gaming - space flying with 2 Thrustmaster sticks.

Think E games on TV ---- Think WIFI /Blue tooth - not USB  - Check the Games Pass for the 100 games on offer for both PC and X box !!

Other add-ons companies  - in the peripherals area  - such as Thrustmaster and Logitech - have been involved in the X Box console market for

a long time.   I have - and use - a TM Racing steering wheel and pedals - on my X BOX ONE X (4K Res) for use with Forza and Formula one - full of buttons and 

switches - and it it doesn't take much of a brain storm to Imagine a flight yoke and Rudders. Honeycomb are busy making an X BOX conversion already.

I also will be keeping my MID spec'd PC for flight simming as present - if only to fly aircraft of the Classic Old and Analog variety - that will

unlikely be in a modern X Box environment and Market  - so P3D and maybe X Plane - will live for quite some time in my current thinking and PC

The only change I need then is a new Yoke to replace my aging Saitek - which will be the  Honeycomb set of Yoke and Throttles (4 Engine)

With the rapid fall of video cards about to be replaced - I might be tempted to invest in a new V/Card:D

9 hours ago, John Heaton said:

With the entrepreneurial skills of management - like it's founder - JV - Orbx will  find the way - and MS just loves the 

principal of DLC continuance of the Market.

I am a devout X boxer -and I do want MSFS to be a success - if only for the long term future of Flight Simming through being in another 

hardware situation and Market potential - The success of the Aces flight game - space games  -  and  on the PS4 as well - indicates that

this might be just so.

I strongly agreed :)

On 9/11/2020 at 3:00 AM, Donka said:

Same version I know but beyond that, we simply don’t know how it will look and perform. It should look good and perform well but that is merely an assumption just now. The hardware compatibility will be a variance for sure. Basic flight controls will be supported but will all the high end hotas systems be supported? TrackIR? Stream deck or button boxes? We do need to wait and see. We also have a release date for the Xbox’s but no release date for MSFS on that platform yet. It could be a while away yet although I imagine they would want it released as close to the hardware launch as possible. While undoubtedly powerful, there are still some limitations with the new consoles. 

Just personally a feeling...with all the so positive response to the PC version...I can't imagine for one second, that it will not be a launch title. If they don't...man...has M.S. Marketing, really dropped the ball.  As for controllers...interesting query. I have read a few posts that some are saying the Xbox controller is even better than a flight stick...but, I will certainly ante up for a HOTAS designed for Xbox X game play.  I can't wait...for the price of another 8 GB card (RTX3070), I get a whole independent 16 GB system, vid card performance of a 2080, (no strings tied to my computer desktop) that I can take with me...no matter as long as there is Wifi, or direct connect. That seems to be a requirement for MSFS, no exceptions.  My campsite (for RV's/TT's) has direct connect cable...so no problem there.  A day at the lake,  after dinner...an evening in the virtual skies...can't do that with my P.C. sitting all wired in like Cable-Zilla sitting 80 miles behind my left shoulder, back at home!   :)

Quite excited to try this Xbox X, let alone, all the other entertainment that it opens up, past Flight Sim'ing.  I also love road racing...grand prix...and this is right up my alley.  So....SOLD! :)

I said all along that MSFS2020 was and is geared up for the X-Box. The whole interface and how it all works is X-Box, X-Box. If one recalls the last flight sim after FSX that Microsoft released was a complete flop and was mickey mouse. The only thing that impresses me is the graphics in MSFS2020 and you can keep the rest (my opinion). The only Logitech hardware that works with MSFS2020 is the YOKE, Rudder and throttle quadrant. As for the switch panel, multi panel and Flight Instrument panels there is no way it will work with the present interface, and I seriously doubt Microsoft will do anything to rectify that. I think Lockheed Martin is going to surprise everyone with their next rendition of P3D and look forward to it.8)

Archived