I had a good working MSFS, until i installed Orbx scenery....CTD's !

Hi Orbx,

My MSFS was stable and working okay, but after installing LOWZ, LOWI London city and landmarks MSFS gets a CTD without being able to start in any a/c.

The first flight after installing Orbx scenery, i was able to do one night approach to LOWI, after this i can not enter any aircraft because i get a CTD's all the time.

I know MSFS is not stable at all, but mine was and it seems that installing Orbx scenery broke that.

Now, i do not say that this is something at Orbx side....but i wanted to let you know my experience.

Beside the CTD's i had this problem: In the (breathtaking) LOWI night approach RWY 26 i saw many, many floating streetlights hundreds of feet up in the air during final approach.

Uninstalling Orbx scenery didn't help to get rid of the CTD's.

I uninstalled MSFS and will install it again hoping to get a stable version back and wait with the installation of Orbx scenery until MSFS is stable.

Regards,

Ben

Hi Nick,

let us not make fun about it. A Ton of people have CTD's with the new MSFS..... so it's a definitely unstable simulator until now and that is a bit sad news.

I don't say dat my CTD's are because of Orbx scenery but i had a non CTD version.... until i installed Orbx scenery and just want to report that.

The remark about floating lights around the lower west approach area LOWi maybe do need attention? (it is around the city area tough....)

Regards,

Ben

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

the remark about the floating lights has been answered by the developer already.

I do apologise for attempting to inject a little humour into these apparently very trying times.

Nick, Glad to see you still have your sense of humour  and I admire your resolve in yes these very trying times.  It has been noted around the flight sim community that you have been left to carry all the flake while the Australian Bosses keep very quiet, in the difficult times.  Well done mate.

I've got exactly the same problem.  Had a stable working version of the sim (save for the one time I tried to start a flight from Keflavik, Iceland), but now having bought London City and Landmarks through the in Marketplace (Steam version), the game crashes every time I try to start near or approach London.  Given how long the game takes to load that is 5 mins of my life gone each time! 

I've tried deleting both packs in the content manager.  Having done this they are still listed there but I don't know if the packs are still active or installed.   However, I no longer have the option to delete the packs or any way to reinstall / reactivate them.  The same goes for the marketplace - both packs are listed as owned but I don't have the option to re-install. 

And to top it all, the sim still crashes. 

Thanks.

Can you take a look inside the core files folder of your MSFS installation and see if you have folders named

EGLC London City Airport and Landmarks London City Pack.

If you have, try moving them out of the MSFS folder, this should effectively uninstall them.

Unfortunately, I cannot advise you on either the Marketplace or Steam, as I have gone down the path of buying

MSFS from the Microsoft Store and of course, the Orbx products from Orbx Direct.

Hi Nick - the Orbx packages were installed ('were' because both folders are now empty) in the main contents directory (95 gigs along with the official ASOBO packages).  

I've now deleted both folders and the download option has re-appeared in the marketplace.  I'm going to see if I can get the start a flight out of the default London City and if that works will install each pack in turn to see if I can trouble shoot what was causing the problem. 

After some testing - post the original install of both packs, trying to select a flight within c. 10nm of Central London will cause a CTD on loading at about 90% (eg. my two local airfields of North Weald and Stapleford).   This happens whether the Orbx content has been uninstalled or following a subsequent reinstall.  I can start a flight further out (eg. Duxford) or anywhere else in the world for that matter.  But once I get with about 5nm of Central London, I get a CTD.   The last time I was starting a long straight final approach to London City (runway 09) and could make out the Orbx city skyline beginning to render off in the distance and then CTD. 

So the original install of these packs seems to have broken something in FS2020 in relation to London (everywhere else in the world I have tried seems to be unaffected).   Uninstalling them does not resolve the issue nor does reinstalling them.  A possible solution would be to try a reinstall of the sim followed by the OBRX packs but I really don't want to have to go through an install again that took me 8 hours first time round, just on the off chance that the Orbx pack won't break things for a second time. 

I tried using the Steam file verification function to repair the install but since that took all of 30 seconds to complete, I think Steam was only checking the 800mb of files that it installed to enable FS2020 to launch and then download the full game via the update function. 

The least worst option would be to get a Steam refund on the Orbx content but that would still leave be having to reinstall FS2020.  However, I want to avoid this as the 2 packs do add significantly to the rather poor rendering of Central London in the base sim. 

Any suggestions because I feel like I am painted into a corner here with no option for a go around!

6 hours ago, Yardstick said:

So the original install of these packs seems to have broken something in FS2020 in relation to London (everywhere else in the world I have tried seems to be unaffected).   Uninstalling them does not resolve the issue nor does reinstalling them.  A possible solution would be to try a reinstall of the sim followed by the OBRX packs but I really don't want to have to go through an install again that took me 8 hours first time round, just on the off chance that the Orbx pack won't break things for a second time. 

I tried using the Steam file verification function to repair the install but since that took all of 30 seconds to complete, I think Steam was only checking the 800mb of files that it installed to enable FS2020 to launch and then download the full game via the update function. 

The least worst option would be to get a Steam refund on the Orbx content but that would still leave be having to reinstall FS2020.  However, I want to avoid this as the 2 packs do add significantly to the rather poor rendering of Central London in the base sim. 

Hello,

As I understand it, when you purchased the simulator from Steam, you only bought the application

and that is the only part that is hosted at Steam.

Once that is installed by Steam, just as for those who purchased from Microsoft, the core files are

downloaded from the Microsoft server.

The "Orbx Packs" should add only self-contained folders and if you delete those folders, the "Orbx Packs" should

be completely removed from the simulator and therefore have no further effect.

Once they are removed and a problem remains, as Jon mentions, the problem must logically lie with the simulator

itself, or worst case scenario, it is exposing an underlying weakness in your hardware.

Hi Nick, your summary is correct although I also installed the core game files (the 95gigs) on the same Steam directory that I have set up on a new SDD I had spare - this is dedicated to FS2020.  

I was able to fly over London with no issue whatsoever for 4 days prior to installing the Orbx packs. So logically, if they are the only new variable then what ever was changed following their original installation must be the route cause. 

My rig is a dedicated sim rig and is used to run a wide range of combat flight sims (IL-2 Great Battles, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, DCS, Rise of Flight, ARMA 3 etc) and runs all these with good fps without issue, so I am confident that it is not at fault.  The very fact that Central London is causing the crash points to something having been changed in the base game files by the installation of the Orbx packs that was not rectified by a subsequent uninstall.  Hence the situation I now find myself in where London is a no go area.   

I will try the official MS support route as well but the reason I went with Steam was in an attempt to limit my exposure to the appalling MS Store and its interface. 

I have done all the troubleshooting I can, but am not that familiar with the install paths for all the core game files (I assume that there is data residing in C/:Users...  as well as the dedicated drive that the sim resides on). 

However, sorting files by date in the core sim drive shows that only 3 files are new or changed from the original install date:  The 2 Orbx packs and a 1 line ini file called 'ClockSkew.json'.  The latter having changed at 15:11 yesterday which was around the time I installed the Orbx packs.  Opening up that file in notepad all that it contains is a plan text reference:  {"Skew":"15621899"}   

2 hours ago, Yardstick said:

As detailed in another thread it turns out it was me hitting my 16gb RAM limit.  Increasing the page file limit didn't solve the issue.  However, when I turned down the detail to High from Ultra, it solved the CTD. 

Could it be that the cache has older objects in it that are conflicting? Switching from ultra to high may force it to load the "new" scenery.

Archived