Orbx trees vs MS2020 trees

The biggest issue with the default MSFS trees is in quite a few locations their size, they are just too tall. Worst example is Sydney (at least for me). Apparently it seems to be not that easy to fix this. If this could be rectified with the Orbx trees, that would be superb. 

Hi guys,

the volumetric MSFS trees

But are they? B) Have a closer look, it's actually a pretty clever "illusion" using 2D textures rotating to the user. I agree though that their overall appearance is much better than the static cruciform trees in P3D and XP.

It's early days but we'll see what can be done in terms of improving textures, diversity, and height. We certainly have lots of source data of our own...

Cheers, Holger   

16 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

But are they? B) Have a closer look, it's actually a pretty clever "illusion" using 2D textures rotating to the user. 

Now that's very interesting Holger! Without you pointing this out I would not have realized.

The complaints that trees were too big are going on since the first tree was introduced into a flightsim.

Holger has pointed out in numerous threads why their diameter has to be too big just to give you the illusion of a dense forest.

But I don't think that the trees are to tall though.

9 hours ago, wolfko said:

The complaints that trees were too big are going on since the first tree was introduced into a flightsim.

Holger has pointed out in numerous threads why their diameter has to be too big just to give you the illusion of a dense forest.

But I don't think that the trees are to tall though.

300 foot tall trees at the end of an airport runway in Melbourne, so high you can barely clear them?

23 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

300 foot tall trees at the end of an airport runway in Melbourne, so high you can barely clear them?

I did not mean that the trees are not too tall at certain locations. I meant that the tree models are not unrealistically tall compared to nature. Trees can be unbelievable huge in real live. From where I live I can see an 18 story appartment building with some deciduous trees in front of it reaching up to 15th floor. And there are much bigger trees out there.

On 8/20/2020 at 6:56 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

But are they? B) Have a closer look, it's actually a pretty clever "illusion" using 2D textures rotating to the user.

I dont yet have MSFS but after watching many YT vids I'd never have know this. Really interesting!

On 8/21/2020 at 8:08 AM, yanlaoge said:

The problem of the MSFS trees is that they look like mushrooms when viewed from atop. Down to land level and they are OK. Orbx trees are much better from either view.

Totally agree with the mushroom thing. In some vids I saw they looked like a cauliflower plantation. 

On 8/20/2020 at 1:38 PM, killingjoke28336 said:

Is it just me or do the Orbx trees in P3D look a bit better than the default MS2020 ones?

Are there any plans to bring Orbx trees to MS2020?

That's a little embarrasingly really MFS trees are any worst that you've seen on P3D, X-Plane?

The Orbx trees do well on the platform they were created for but MFS trees - 3D or not look amazing. The issue with the MFS has never been about quality, it's the type and size, detection of vegitation - basically blackshark.ai and the tree database needs a little bit of refinement.

Looking forward to see how Orbx can build on this for MFS. It's exciting to see what they can do for the product and of course the extra attention to detail will mean tree type and vegitation will give a whole lot more realistic look to the regions Orbx create.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVED Orbx trees in the past but MSFS trees are so amazing they have over 100 different species of trees in the sim! If you watch the Q and A on the official youtube channel the devs mention this! Also above 500 feet MSFS trees take the cake by a long shot! Look at this image from the tower in san fran and tell me the tree line doesn't look so real ;)  Sim is on the right

8hjavvzf7oj51.png

mtfuji.png

On 8/20/2020 at 7:46 PM, bernd1151 said:

The biggest issue with the default MSFS trees is in quite a few locations their size, they are just too tall. Worst example is Sydney (at least for me). Apparently it seems to be not that easy to fix this. If this could be rectified with the Orbx trees, that would be superb. 

How to fix the tree / trees height bug ! (how to guide with pics )

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-fix-the-tree-trees-height-bug-how-to-guide-with-pics/139607/3

https://github.com/cnorton-webdev/FS2020_Tree_Editor/releases/tag/v1.1.0

2 hours ago, HeKa48 said:

So with this you can change tree sizes at certain places, right? I hope it is not a fix which affects trees all over the world, becsuse mostly the default tree size is okay.

31 minutes ago, killingjoke28336 said:

It affects all trees over the world. 

I wonder if Orbx can bring us trees with a color closer to the photogrammetry trees, they are all a bit darker and less bright green.

Thanks. So no filter options?

3 hours ago, killingjoke28336 said:

No- you can only choose which kind of trees to modify, pine tree and so on.

Thank you again! 

But I still do not understand, what will be changed and what's so bad about the default trees. The default MSFS trees per se look awsome and their models are not too big at all. Only at certain places the trees are too old (old trees are big, young trees are small ;)).

So I actually do not want to sacrifice a gorgious looking Amazonia or the looks of any other forest in the world just to get rid of a few too tall trees standing in front of some default airports' runways.

So if it is not possible with this mod to edit trees only at certain places it will not be for me.

On 8/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, wolfko said:

I actually like the volumetric MSFS trees much better than the cardboard "cross" trees of FSX/P3d/XP. MSFS trees are in general also much more detailed and lusher.

There's no comparison at all! MSFS are the better ones

On 8/20/2020 at 7:46 PM, bernd1151 said:

I just verified this issue in Rio de Janeiro

On 9/1/2020 at 3:05 PM, killingjoke28336 said:

It affects all trees over the world. 

I wonder if Orbx can bring us trees with a color closer to the photogrammetry trees, they are all a bit darker and less bright green.

I still think MSFS has better tree colours than P3D or even HD trees from Orbx

Archived