Microsoft Flight Simulator Post-Release

10 hours ago, Sirids said:

The waterfront in Plymouth is iconic and currently lacks that image in MSFS

But thankfully EGHD is still there and open albeit a bit lacking in detail - which will be great news for all of the pilot simmers in SW England who flew from there, and regret it closing!

Re: all the criticisms against MSFS London Landmarks in this thread

I've bought and used it and I'm not understanding the issue here. We aren't supposed to look at the landmarks from such a low height and distance. This is a flight simulator, not Cities: Skylines. Some of you guys are flying the drone camera literally inches from the landmarks and taking pics. The altitude and distance you are using aren't realistic. You will never fly an aircraft or helicopter that close to the landmarks in London in real life. And think of the FPS hit as well if you really want them highly detailed.

Orbx have done a phenomenal job with this addon.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, EvidencePlz said:

I've bought and used it and I'm not understanding the issue here. We aren't supposed to look at the landmarks from such a low height and distance. This is a flight simulator, not Cities: Skylines. Some of you guys are flying the drone camera literally inches from the landmarks and taking pics. The altitude and distance you are using aren't realistic. You will never fly an aircraft or helicopter that close to the landmarks in London in real life. And think of the FPS hit as well if you really want them highly detailed.

Have you seen the Youtube video comparing all the "phenomenal" FS9-like buildings Orbx has given us in place of actually phenomenal default Asobo buildings??? One this is absolutely certain for anyone who has actually compared default verses Orbx: They have done a terrible job on this one. And as far as a FPS hit, how is it that Asobo can make such great buildings with the same tools and not suffer a FPS  hit? Do properly compare the scenery (or watch the video) before replying.

Bottom line: Paid replacement scenery should ALWAYS be better than default from 30,000 feet or 30 feet!

Edited by Seanmo
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, wolfko said:

Funny, that most of the London scenery add on detractors are mostly newcomers to the Orbx forums.

I think its because the new MFS sim has brought alot of new people into the sim who may not know the past history of quality work from Orbx. They only see the piss take that was the London package which Im sure they are quickly scrambling to correct now... Those that have been around for awhile, know what a shake down the £$6 odd package really was.... shameful...

Ive been reading some of the replies from Orbx as well and it seems to be nothing short of quick smart alec remarks back instead of addressing the issue, more concerned with saving face than saving reputation. Maybe its some big elaborate plan for an Endgame we dont know about.... whatever it is.... its not what Orbx was based from and I do hope its not an indication of where they will be going.... "lets see what we can get away with"....

• Like 4

These are definitely huge improvements! Sure, valid arguments can be made with some of the London objects but overall,  mfs2020 Orbx sceneries are an improvement. Newcomers seem to be beating a dead horse though, since the concerns have been acknowledged and will be addressed.

I certainly hope the TrueEarth products will make their way over, to fill the gaps in satellite imagery in a lot of places. (Inconsistent coloring, masking improvements, etc)

Ive always enjoyed Orbx products and those who know me know Im a bit of a scenery hoarder.  Heck, I bought everything I could from your library even before installing MSFS.

Flying out of LCY in a jet, things looked not too bad.  And then I changed to a small prop.

Shocked.  And disappointed.  

I look forward to this fix @Ben McClintock alludes to where I hope existing POI are left in place and the replacements look better than those I used to code by hand in scasm some 20 years ago.

In the interim I think London City landscape will be consigned to the virtual bin.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

"Shhh, but there is a replacement rumor...that the MSFS dev's deliberately dumbed down many major MSFS-native airports, so to leave room for 3rP's not to starve to death in the MSFS wilderness.".... ;)

And some rumours are just there to cater the needs of the worshipping masses. People need their dose of hallelujah. :banghead: :D

• Haha 2

Will the landmark packs only contain certain cities or are whole region like the existing (TE)regions planned aswell? I think it would be cool if Orbx would take all of the landmarks, POI's, vfr navigation points, powerlines etc. of the previous regions and bring them to MSFS and of course many more. I would be really happy to see the castle of my small hometown again which was part of the "germany south" region. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jazzman said:

The london scenery pack  for MSFS 2020 is the worst product Orbx has ever released. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I feel totally ripped off.

The default scenery is far better than your load of rubbish.

I also purchased London city airport and that looks brilliant.

Please designers, take a look at tower bridge and compare it with the default, you should be ashamed of your selves.

To cap it, Buckingham Palace where the queen lives, looks like a prison behind ten foot high walls, that should be railings.

Is there to be an urgent update or can I have a refund please as this is not fit for purpose.

I agree, usually Orbx is great, I have no idea why they would publish this, it is worse then the default, just look at Tower Bridge and the HOP's.

The Airport is fine except the runway is too flat, but all and all the City airport is worth the purchase.

• Like 3

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest here.

I may be new here but I've purchased hundreds of £'s worth of really excellent Orbx scenery for FSX over the years and never been dissapointed.

But I have paid money to Orbx for an advertised product which is not up to their usual standard. I tried to complain to Orbx direct but they directed me here.

Please Orbx, read these comments, get the product up to scratch and let us paying customers know when an update will be available, until then, you've let us down and you know it.

Don't hide away behind these very useful forums, open a contact us on your web site. Its easy enough to pay money to you but not to speak to you.

Yours frustrated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CaptainLens said:

Maybe its some big elaborate plan for an Endgame we dont know about

Probably. The rumourmill has it that London is top priorty for the next map re-build, and will bring proper photogrammetry instead of procedural generation. This was very likely rushed out of the gate to capitalise on that short window of oppurtunity.

Regarding comments about new players, come on people. MFS2020 is on Xbox Game Pass, and has been hyped up as the first 'next gen' title, a title it mostly lives up to. This was always going to bring in new blood, myself included (unless Elite Dangerous counts as a sim).

As for concerns about performance and intended visibility, I think those opinions are about as outdated as the sim Orbx pulled those models from. The requirememnts here really aren't to be snuffed at, people who can't handle high res assets are not going to be able to run this sim in the first place. And with such a big focus on small prop planes and a marketing campaign that is egging people on to make low passes over landmarks, yeah. People are gonna want high quality models, not this N64 looking stuff.

Edited by Delerious_Biznasty
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Really disappointed by the Orbx London City Landmarks, this is a joke. I dont even buy the explanation "from higher altitude it looks ok, it was not meant for low level flying" as this is simply an blunt excuse for having it messed up. There was NO, absolutely NO need to replace the POIs that MSFS already offers in great detail in the default city, I really do not get why somebody decided to do this. The only explanation that makes sense: pure lazyness. Taking those POIs out would have increased the workload so it was skipped. Simple as that and a really bad sign that Orbx goes down this route...

Edited by AnkH
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, EvidencePlz said:

I have not used that fs2020 addon, but I have Orbx superb addon for x-plane. I must say that I fly low and close to landmarks, atleast when flying with helicopters (they comes to fs2020 later). I do not know how those better graphics will shown with reverb G2, Orbx x-plane with reverb G1 I can notice those errors easily in London. Personally I would be satisfied those lower quality landmarks if they would not replace original better landmarks. 

You must remember that Orbx have been best scenery maker and so we wait that they lives with their reputation.