Microsoft Flight Simulator Post-Release

• Ben McClintock changed the title to Microsoft Flight Simulator Post-Release

I upgraded my London area last night and it looks really good. Would be nice to see my home city, but I know that’s not likely to happen as there are so many people wanting the same thing. However, would be good if you did a UK version of Landmarks, POI’s etc.

As in the True Earth South, my home city of Plymouth has a lot of them In that. The waterfront in Plymouth is iconic and currently lacks that image in MSFS.

• Upvote 1

Little error on the EGNM product page, a most impressive use of space!

The download size of this product is 2.85 GB. It uses 0.00 B when installed.

The side by side shots are impressive differences for first release products. Hopefully the few minor issues will be addressed in time.

Nice.. That's a great way of showing the difference.. Always said there was plenty of scope for Orbx.. MSFS is looking great but always room for improvement.. How long do we have to take advantage of the discount.. 

I have sim through Xbox game pass.. If I purchase a different version can I move any Orbx addons to my new version? 

I’d love to have as many small airfields as possible from you. Asobo’s Courchevel is a masterpiece in my opinion. It’s such a great feeling to fly from there. I’d love to see Speichersdorf, which is quite close to my home, or like Weiden. Both airfields are in Bavaria. Such a nice region. 

I’d also love to see the island of Greenland reworked including the Airports there which are quite some but all really small.

Greenland is probably amongst the nicest regions on this planet. 

Thank you for developing for FS2020:)

From experience with alpha testing, this was one of my main worries, that certain glamourous locations looked great, but many cities just weren't recognisable enough. These city packs will really help to bring the sim to life. Default EGNM has a row of victorian terrace houses along the edge of the ramp, looks very nice, but slightly out of place.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wain71 said:

I have sim through Xbox game pass.. If I purchase a different version can I move any Orbx addons to my new version? 

I don't see why not.  I'd recommend buying and installing them through Orbx Central, that looks for your MSFS2020 install location and can download them directly there or to a library location of your choice.  If for instance you purchased a Steam version (as an example) at a later date, I'd imagine that you can then download your purchased files again via Orbx Central or from your library and install them in MSFS2020 under steam.

To echo what has been said by a few people in this thread, MSFS is nice, but the lack of POIs in MSFS (unlike with TrueEarth regions) makes the majority of smaller towns and cities look very uniform - they could be anywhere.

I hope it's possible to have good-looking and good-performing POI packages rolled out for MSFS.
GB, Netherlands, Balearic Islands and smaller conurbations in the USA would look a lot better with them.

Edited by F737NG

5 hours ago, Afterburner said:

Wow, when I compare the before and after parts, I feel like the jump in quality is almost equivalent to another FSX -> NextGen MSFS2020. And some users on other forums claimed that Add-On companies would become redundant...

alot of people were in disbelief when certain people in the community laid it all out for the public, got so much hate for it and now its actually true what they were saying... I feel the sim was dumbed down for the 3rd party developers to enhance with,... we all win in the end so its all good

I think that will depend on what photogrammetry updates Bing are doing. 

If Bing continue to update their 3D cities this should filter down to MSFS2020.  Google is so much further ahead in this respect but even they don't provide full coverage.  So until then there will be a need for POI packages.  I'm sure as a Microsoft partner Orbx will have to be informed of the plans to update Bing as it would not make commercial sense for Orbx to release a Landmark pack for a city soon to be replaced with PhotoGrammetry scenery.

There is supposedly monthly updates for MSFS and we may see any Bing updates coming through those

• Like 2

I also think that a lot of the "missing stuff" may be intentional as it certainly allows scenery developers like Orbx to contribute potentially very heavily in these missing areas. Consider MSFS as a platform and not as a totally all encompassing, nothing else to do, complete sim. It isn't and will never be, but with MS updates and 3rd party devs contributing to an ever improving sim, then things are looking very bright, for MS, the Sim and 3rd party devs. There are going to be learning curves especially for devs let alone customers of the sim itself. No one has yet got a completed final SDK as it is constantly being worked on by MS so there are going to be initial "restrictions" as to what can be done in scenery addons, as is being noted by some. These glitches or anomalies are shared responsibilities of both Asebo and the 3rd [arty devs. When restrictions are found then Devs report that to Asebo for potential rectification. 

We all need to be patient and enjoy what is on offer currently as more will become on offer as time goes on. Exciting times I think.

• Like 5

Hello,

that all makes sense to me.

I look forward to some of my favourite aircraft, not least a DC 3.

Those included are perfectly fine but do not necessarily cater to everyone's taste.

Like Jon writes, and indeed as we have been told loud and clear, this is only the beginning.

On that basis it is indeed remarkably good.

• Like 9

These sliders really showcase what the great artists at Orbx can do with this great new MSFS platform. And yes, I agree with Jon and Nick above, a platform it is. But, in my opinion, one of the best flight sim platforms we GA simmers have ever had access to! Asobo and MS have really planted the flag with MSFS and Orbx looks to grab the flag and run with it. Can't wait to see what else Orbx developers do for this new sim platform. Exciting times in the sim world indeed :) 

• Like 1

Will there be an update for Tacoma Narrows to address night lighting?

It looks great during the day, but at night there are no lights on the taxiways and the bridge asset is dark.

You can make out where the Microsoft lights end and Orbx scenery starts.

Thanks for some great scenery.

Tacoma Night Bridge.JPG

Tacoma Night.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doc44kin said:

Looks great,although I have seen no mention of difference in FPS with and without! Doc.

I bought the KORS and KTIW...not one FPS lost...was simply amazing...the the KORS transformation...well....Orbx has the hook in my MSFS mouth, yet again...;)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cityplanner87 said:

Will there be an update for Tacoma Narrows to address night lighting?

It looks great during the day, but at night there are no lights on the taxiways and the bridge asset is dark.

You can make out where the Microsoft lights end and Orbx scenery starts.

Thanks for some great scenery.

Tacoma Night Bridge.JPG

Tacoma Night.JPG

.and unfortunately,  I have two trees growing out of the mid deck of the twin spans...so weird...hope Orbx can cut them down...as well as fix this. I noticed it too, so not just your system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CaptainLens said:

alot of people were in disbelief when certain people in the community laid it all out for the public, got so much hate for it and now its actually true what they were saying... I feel the sim was dumbed down for the 3rd party developers to enhance with,... we all win in the end so its all good

Gotta tell ya...these A/B slide comparisons...are deadly....lol,  on LOWI...which I did not purchase when buying my first two MSFS properties...well,  the A/B did me in...just picked it up,   Yep..the Orbx hook is still tugging...post P3D and XP!

• Like 1

Nope - I'll be sticking with XP11 and download any TE + large airport addons that Orbx provide in the future for that sim. If they don't then they don't and I'll be fine with that. I'll take a view on MSFS AFTER XP12 is released (even if that's years ahead) and then compare. Meanwhile, I'm more than happy with Orbx addons that I have to date and just love the quality that the sim provides with all the Orbx addons that I have so far. There are many other advantages that XP11 has over MSFS at the moment, but those advantages may disappear over time as Microsoft upgrades - we shall see.

• Like 2

I haven't looked at LOWI yet..but I can personally vouch for the quality porting of KORS.  It truly transforms the airport and inhabited part of the island.  Very nice.  I highly recommend that port, if KORS in P3D and XP11 matters to you running with it.  KORS/MSFS is just as good.

33 minutes ago, ChicoMick said:

I hope this will be updated...

11 minutes ago, N1EL said:

Orbx,  Please go through everything you have "improved" in the London package,  Be honest to yourself and remove updates that clearly aren't improvements. 

Then Improve something that need improving??

In the initial post that you both replied to, the things you mention have already been acknowledged:

To that end we will take feedback on some the most highly sought after Landmarks and create higher definition models as a free upgrade, taking into account the sim performance at the same time

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hi Orbx I have to say your update to London was very timely and welcome!

I've seen and read a lot about some of the quality of the London assets and I guess what puzzles me is that they seem to be placeholders as the Tower of London for example looks a lot different to the much higher quality versions in P3D and X-Plane. I don't think it's fair to compare with the Asobo POI's when you are adding 400 assets into London!

Anyway the feel of London is there and it looks amazing at times. Good job and I look forward to seeing some of the assets improved when time permits. :)

Edited by dtrjones
  • Sad 1

Rumour has it that some people were so excited about the new sim that they claimed that addons were not needed anymore in the bright future of MSFS.

This broad array of with/without comparisons speak for themselves.

Edited by Captain Lars

2 minutes ago, jazzman said:

The london scenery pack  for MSFS 2020 is the worst product Orbx has ever released. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I feel totally ripped off.

The default scenery is far better than your load of rubbish.

I also purchased London city airport and that looks brilliant.

Please designers, take a look at tower bridge and compare it with the default, you should be ashamed of your selves.

To cap it, Buckingham Palace where the queen lives, looks like a prison behind ten foot high walls, that should be railings.

Is there to be an urgent update or can I have a refund please as this is not fit for purpose.

Welcome to the forums @jazzman don't be shy now posting what you feel! :) crikey!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Rumour has it that some people were so excited about the new sim that they claimed that addons were not needed anymore in the bright future of MSFS.

This broad array of with/without comparisons speak for themselves.

"Shhh, but there is a replacement rumor...that the MSFS dev's deliberately dumbed down many major MSFS-native airports, so to leave room for 3rP's not to starve to death in the MSFS wilderness.".... ;)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2